Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arrive Gatwick depart Heathrow same day - transfers andday room?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the task of finding a day room for an older couple who will be arriving at Gatwick early morning and departing Heathrow that evening.<BR>What are the choices for transfer between the two airports? What recommendations for a reasonably priced hotel/day room near Heathrow for the day? <BR>Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:33 AM

Sue, there is a regular bus service between Gatwick and Heathrow. Go to the web page for British Airports (http://www.baa.co.uk/) and the information you need is there. The Heathrow Hilton, right in the airport, offers &quot;day room&quot; rates. If the rates are within the budget constraints, nothing could be more convenient, as you can simply walk through the enclosed walkway to the terminal. As I recall the day room rates are rack rate of around 99 pounds, but you might do better than that. See http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=LHRAPTW
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Sue depending on how old &amp; strong this couple is, you might want to consider a car service to pick them up &amp; transport them so they don't have to deal with luggage on their own. I don't know what the cost would be, but it can't be that much more than the bus which, as I recall was about $30 for 2. Would it be worth another $20 for them not to have to wait for the bus &amp; haul luggage? People here use Ray Skinner &amp; other services (do a text search) to get into London from airports. If that doesn't work, try checking for car or mini cabs in Crawley.<BR><BR>Try Lastminute.com, LateRooms.com or ebookers.com for discount rates for the day room.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:05 AM

In case the end of my post was unclear, I meant if these car services were unwilling to do the run between airports, there are minicabs in Crawley who might.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:10 AM

The Gatwick Hilton has a day rate. See their website (hilton.com). It seems reasonable to me. Their regular overnight rate is more than I usually spend for a hotel
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

I could not find any day rates on the Hilton website and called Hilton who told me Gatwick have none and Heathrow rooms are 149GB pounds!!! Anyone have any experience with any other hotels as that is too expensive.<BR>Search on Ray Skinner did not produce anything, so will keep searching minicabs etc.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:47 PM

Sue.<BR>Ray Skinner transport service can be found at:<BR>www.london-transfers.com<BR>Phone: +44 (0)20 8899 8221