Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Around how low will an open jaw ticket go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm going to Italy from either Orlando or Trampa, FL leaving on 9/25/04 to Rome then returning from Vencice. Right now the lowest air is on Alitalia for $765.04 and I'm wondering how much lower do you think I can expect to get?

I know the dates of my travel are considered high season. What have you all paid for open jaw airfare traveling around the same time of year?

Thanks,
Linda
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 10:32 AM
ira

Hi Livette,

Open jaw fares are often almost the same as round trip, if you search carefully.

In fact, at http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

I found Orlando/Rome Venice/Orlando for less than Orlando/Rome RT.

You have a good price now, however it's stll early for the best prices. I suggest you keep watch until mid-March. You could save as much as $100, but you might not.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 10:34 AM

OK, I'll jump in. I think you're pricing your flight way too early for late September. Although none of us has a crystal ball, and we're not able to predict just how low your ticket will go, one of the other FL posters, GARYINFLA (I'm assuming from his user name that he lives in FL) is reporting a May fare to Italy for $484. Fares ususally drop after Labor Day, so I'd start watching carefully for sales in early to mid-summer. If open jaw fares turn out to be a lot higher than round trip fares, you may want to reconsider and take the train back to Rome. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Looks like Ira was posting while I was composing!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 10:38 AM
ira

No Betsy,

You actually composed your note before mine. However, I have a super high speed internet connection with a full race cam on my modem. So my message got there first.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Livette
I'm planning a similar trip for around the same time NYC to Rome then Venice back to NYC. I looked at prices and the best I found was about $860, just so I could see where they were. It is too early for September, keep checking periodically to see what they do, but you've got plenty of time. I posted the same question recently, and you can check it out and look at the responses.
Good luck.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 11:38 AM

tt
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks, I will keep checking and hope they go down.

You know I really can spell! I can't believe I wrote Trampa and Vencice! .

Have a nice day all.

Linda
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 12:40 PM

I know they call that the high season, but everyone who has children will have to be back from vacation for school before then, so I would wait quite a while before buying the tickets; let the airlines feel the pressure of half-empty planes and they will offer some incentives.

Before the recent turmoils in the airline industry, it seemed to me you got the best fares by purchasing between four and two month before your flight. I studied a lot before coming up with that rule, but I have stuck with it and haven't been burned yet. However, who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I also like open jaw flights, and I rarely have not been able to find one that was not competitive with a round-trip fare. One trip we wanted to go to Florence, Switzerland, and Venice, and the open jaw flight cost about $100 more than a round trip to Venice (apparently no one likes to fly to Florence, at least among the flights I found), so we just arrived in Venice early and took a train to Florence, enjoying the scenery from the train, and saving a few bucks.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 05:15 PM

There was another thread here about low fares to Rome suddenly popping up. (I can't find it now, but it was active today.) This is indeed happening on Orbitz, and based on that thread, also on Expedia.

I'd suggest searching right now to see if you can get a lower rate.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh! I just went to Orbitz.com and found our open jaw ticket at the rate of $561.56 per person including the service fee and postal fee!! I can't believe the low price. I'm a bit leary on purchasing because I've never dealt with Orbitz.

How reputable are they? Anyone ever have any issues with them?

Linda
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:06 PM

Beware:

ALITALIA is getting ready to strike...........Again!!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:08 PM

Linda, Orbitz is VERY reputable.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:08 PM

Livette--I've used Orbitz.com almost exclusively since I found out about them. They're great and the prices are real and you can rely on them.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

What??? The latter part of each trip is on Alitalia and they are about to go on strike.

I need to research this a bit more.

Linda
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:26 PM

I wouldn't worry about a strike-Sept is a long way away, there may be many strikes and settlements between now and Sept. Once you have the tickets they have to get you there somehow. I think that's a great price and probably won't last long. It is early to book for Sept but that price may be hard to beat. Just my opinion.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, you're absolutely right that I shouldn't worry about this now. However, now I'm reading about their service and how poorly they are rated. Also, reading more negative experiences with this airline than good which makes me uneasy.

Not sure what to do .

Linda
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

I took a chance and bought the ticket. Heck, I was budgeting $650 for the airfare so $561.56 was a deal I could not pass up.

Who knows what our experience will be with Alitalia but we'll never know if we don't try.

I'm terribly exhausted after all this.

Have a good night all and thanks for the advice.

Linda
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Purchased my tickets tonight on Orbitz
Sept 18 - Oct 5, Chicago-Rome - Milan-Chicago - $419 r/t+taxes and fees $523
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 08:18 PM

I'd seen some bad comments about Alitalia also, but then posted a question here about them and people said they're basically the same as everyone else. I wouldn't worry about it. Also, they have new 777's they fly with individual TV's at every seat, which is a great bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -