Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arles: Hotel de la Muette, Hotel du Musee or Hotel de L'Amphitheatre?

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried getting an August reservation at Le Calendal, but they're already sold out!!??

So I've narrowed it down to Hotel de la Muette, Hotel du Musee and Hotel De L'Amphitheatre.

Can anyone recommend any of them? They all look equally as nice from their websites, and all are at comparable prices and locations.

Thanks in advance,
tania
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Message: We stayed at Hotel du Musee in 2000, and loved it. No "new section" at that time. The owners, Reine and Bernard Dumeuil, are wonderful people and very helpful.

The old part of the hotel was built in the 1600s, but some bits including our bathroom date from the late 1400s!

By the way, a great restaurant recommendation per the hotel was Restaurant L?Escaladou for outstanding bouillabaisse and a really garlicky rouille.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Wanderjahr,
The old section would be preferable to the new section then, no?

Anyone else out there who can vouch for this or either of the other two hotels?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Nope, but I can highly recommend the Hotel d'Arlatan.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

StCirq,
I hear D'Arlatan's supposed to be wonderful. But unfortunately, it exceeds my budget. I'm doing a 24 day trip, so for this portion I can't go over 60 euro a night.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Understood, Tania. I just thought I'd throw it out there since I don't know the other hotels. For what it's worth, my Guide du Routard, which has never failed me, recommends the Hôtel de l'Ampithéatre (along with the Calendal), but does not mention the other two.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:42 AM

Tania: We stayed at the Hotel De L'Amphitheatre last spring. It is a nice budget hotel, just around the corner from the Amphitheatre. Very helpful staff, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Enjoy Arles; it was one of our favorite places.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

StCirq and TravelerGina,

OK, your personal endorsement and that of Routard are good enough for me. It's all the confirmation I need after reading its glowing reviews at Trip Advisor. Gonna email the hotel now. It better not ALSO be completely booked for August. If anyone reading this thread is now thinking of booking it for August, please move on! I hear it's a horrible hotel! It's got roaches! Bad bad hotel!!!! Nothing to see here. ;-)
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:29 PM

I'm booked at the Hotel LeCloitre in Arles in June.

From looking at their website, the place looks a bit dark & dungeon-like, but I've read several good reviews about the place...a few here on Fodors.

The price is right...and I'd rather spend more on food & fun than a hotel room.

Here is their link: http://members.aol.com/hotelcloitre/
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 02:59 PM

I just returned from staying in Arles this week (March 2-9) and stayed at the Hotel Gauguin, right on the Place Voltaire. I was in eye view of "Les Arenes" (the amphitheatre) and enjoyed a very comfortable stay there for less than 34 euros a night for a double room with bath/shower! Breakfast was an additional 6 euros if desired. Most of the tourists stay in the Forum and Les Arenes area, so why not branch out and stay in another, equally central, part of Arles? I was only 5 minutes walk up Avenue de 4 Septembre to the Hotel de Ville and Les Arenes.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:09 PM

We stayed at the Hotel du Forum in March 2002. It was wonderful. An enormous room, an enormous bathroom, and a room that faced over the place du Forum due east. The sunrises were magnifique! We had a car and the staff were extremely accomodating about parking, too. E.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! But I've happily just confirmed my reservation at Hotel de L'Amphitheatre.

One more hotel reservation to take care of and my summer trip to France is all set!
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 03:41 AM

a few years ago we stayed at Hotel de la Muette. A small hotel in a lovely square, not too far from the Arenes.
Don t expect anything special. Just a good hotel with friendly staff.