lodging between Dingle and Cork

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, back here again to get some advice on lodging. We are staying at Heaton's on the Dingle Peninsula for 2 nights and then heading south through Killarney,Kenmare,Bantry and then along the south coast to Cork. We don't have any plans for that part of our trip yet. We plan on taking about 5 days/nights for this section.This board has been so helpful and I am once again relying on your good taste to help us.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM

You are spoilt for choice -- possibly more places to choose from in this part of Ireland than anywhere else. What is your budget? What time of the year? Any specifics?
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

May 12-19; to give you an idea of type of place... we are staying at The Old Ground Hotel in Ennis,Abbeyglen castle Hotel in Clifden and Heaton's Guesthouse in Dingle... places we can do alot of hiking and biking. we don't have anything yet booked for the dates I gave you.We don't like it too upscale even though we can afford it. Place must be clean and preferably have a nice view. Thanks for responding. Have you been to Ireland alot?
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

just got back from our trip to Ireland last week. I read my posts from before I went and they seem silly to me now. We stayed at some nice B&B's without having a reservation so we were able to be spontaneous. I had no idea of the number of B&B's EVERYWHERE WE WENT. We could take our pick!One of my favorites was the Channel View in Baltimore. Margaret and Lar Harrington are great. Jacob's Pub in 'downtown'B-more was perfect. Live Irish music ,laid back, great food and the harbor was right out the door.
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:30 PM

I have NOT stayed there as I was visiting friends in the area, but this place looked stunning, overlooking the Barley Cove Beach - appr. 2-3 kms from Mizen Head.
http://www.barleycovebeachhotel.com/

Baltimore is a nice spot for some hiking/biking, i.e. to the beacon (more a walk), or a hike/bike tour to Lough Hyne, a nature preserve.
It's also the "hub" for ferry boats to the islands.
http://www.rolfscountryhouse.com/
This place has quite a reputation for dining out - but attire is always casual (not even "smart casual").
Another "local favorite" would be Mary Ann's pub in nearby Castletownshend. Food is more upscale than the place looks (but no need to adjust attire one bit!).
http://www.ireland-guide.com/establi...rant.3235.html

Going to Cork, you could leave the major road (N71) maybe 15kms or so after Skibbereen, and take R597 towards Glendore (short detour to Unionhall) until you hit N71 again in Rosscarbery. On R597, near Drombeg, you can visit the stone circle. No fees, usually no one or hardly anyone around - even though Wikipedia claims it is the "most visited" in Ireland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drombeg_stone_circle