Hampstead and Islington,
Kensington,
Knightsbridge,
Chelsea, Belgravia, Victoria, and Westminster,
London,
Mayfair to Regent's Park,
Soho and Covent Garden,
St. James's

Which of these areas are nice to stay in and close to the Buckingham palace, big ben and all other attractions ? Any hotel recommendations in $ 100-$ 150 range ?

Jul 12th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Colin

Have a look at http://www.theuktourist.com

You should find accommodations there within your price range

Jul 12th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Carla

Travel Bug:
I'd go for Bloomsbury, Mayfair or St. James. Soho and Covent Garden are close to most things, but Soho's a mess. (CG is nicer.)
Kennsington goes on and on -- some parts are a bit distant. Knightsbridge is best if you like to shop, farther from "sights" though.
Holborn, Euston, Hampstead and Islington are a bit far away for me.

Chelsea, Belgravia, Victoria and Westminister are all so different, it's hard to generalise. Belgravia's gorgeous and residential, Chelsea's nice and close to the Tate, Victoria can be very cheesy but it's close to B.Palace. Westminister is next to Chelsea, and Parliament and the Abbey are right there.
Try hotels4less.com. I had good luck with them recently.

Jul 12th, 2001, 05:20 PM
mctrip

We stayed at the Georgian House Hotel on St. Georges Drive in Belgravia (SW). Walkable to Buck Pal, westmin Abbey, Victoria Station, and more... This hotel is not fancy, but clean, with a friendly staff and decent breakfast included in room rate. See the web site:

http://www.georgianhousehotel.co.uk/

We were there in April and used this hotel as a base (stayed 5 nights and loved it.) The rates at that time were $95 (about 66 GBP) for a double room with private bath.

Bon voyage!
MC

Jul 16th, 2001, 01:57 PM
JM

You know, I'd have to disagree with the previous poster. I thought the Georgian House Hotel was a dump. I wasn't looking for much, and consider myself to be open minded, but the room I had was extremely dusty (like it hadn't been used in ages). I thought the staff was rude, too. It was cheap, which was good, but I think I'd keep looking if I were to go back.

Jul 16th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Kahty

There has been some discussion on the Georgian House before, and I think several people said that there are two establishments with the same or similar names - one very good and the other a dump.

Jul 16th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Martha

I stayed in the Belgravia area and enjoyed that part of London. It is walkable to many of the major sites (Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, etc.), as well as the shopping areas south of Harrods. I stayed in the Diplomat Hotel, which is a nice small hotel with great service.
Martha

Jul 16th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Jody

You are going to get as many opinions as there are areas. we all have our favorites. Don't worry abot walking distances with the tube everything is within walking distance and you don't wear yourself out. so many of the areas are so close you don't know when you are in one or the other, ie. Knightsbridge south ken,Chelsea, sloane sq. we all have our favorites, mine is south kensington, I really can walk to harrods, Beauchamp Place, V and A, Nat'l. History Museum, National Army Museum, Kings Rd, Fulham Rd shops, Bromptn Oratory, and I'm out on the street at 7 AM and can find a paper and a place to hace coffee before my hotel starts serving breakfast!If I'm tired I can walk to numerous cafes and restaurants , from high to low end. The side streets are residential and lovely, butcher, bakers, and dry claeaners. I find the covent Garden area over rated, , great for theaters, but the Garden itself is full of kitchy , mall type knick knack shops, do love the Monday antique market though, get there by 7 Am or all you will get is junk and flea market stuff after 10, as the dealers pick it through.Holborn is the CITY , not much doing after hours, not even during the day, it's all business. oxford St and the strand while convenient for some sights are commercial areas with ordinary shops, not the unusual. don't worry about where you stay, try a differnt area the next time you go, you will go again, London is definitely addicting, when you hit the area that suits you you will know it.

Jul 17th, 2001, 05:36 AM
David White

Travel Bug,

Suggest that you stay in as central an area as you can afford. London hotels are notoriously expensive, and quality accomodations in a central location are a fiscal challenge. If you take advantage of the somewhat less expensive, but more remote areas, you will add a daily commute by tube, bus or taxi to see the sights.

Here are two central London "budget" suggestions (unfortunately $100-150 fits the central London definition of a budget hotel rate):

--Travel Inn County Hall: a modern, budget hotel in a superb location. Rooms are about 75 per night. No air-conditioning. Walking distance to Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, London Eye, etc. Info at
http://www.travelinn.co.uk

--Sanctuary House (Fullers Inn): Modern inn located near Westminster Abbey. Airconditioned. Rooms about 95. Info at
http://www.fullers.co.uk

There are many tourist class hotels in the Victoria area. This is more central to many tourist attractions--Buckingham Palace for one--but the accomodations vary greatly. Mayfair is very central, but very expensive.

Cross-check carefully before you book your hotel, both for the quality of the hotel and the location. Once you find some possiblities, try posting questions about specific hotels on this message board...you'll probably get some opinions from other travelers.

Aug 11th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Mary

Trying to get some info. on which Marriott to stay in the city. Will be turning in points, and want to know which is central....how about Grosvenor Square?

Aug 11th, 2001, 04:57 AM
xxx

up

Aug 11th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Tony

Mayfair is probably the most central location in London. There is a great 4 star Holiday Inn located there that occasionaly runs specials at the top end of your price range. Buckingham Palace is an easy walk. The benefit of being central is that you spend less time on the tube getting from place to place. Good luck to you.

Aug 11th, 2001, 07:30 AM
janis

First many folks ask what area is "central". Everything within and just beyond the Circle tube line is very central. That includes - the City, Kensington, S. Kensington, Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Mayfair, Victoria, Pimlico, Bayswater, Belgravia, Earls Court, SoHo, Bloomsbury, Regents Park and others. No matter where you stay in any of these areas you will be close to everything (closer to some things of course)

As for Marriotts - There are several in London and Grosvenor Square is an excellent area. However, the best located Marroitt is County Hall. It is magnificent and right on the river directly across from Big Ben and next door to the Eye. It is very posh and you can walk down river to all the arts venues - National Theatre, Tate Modern, Globe, Royal Festival Hall, and walk across Westminster and in 2 minutes you will be at Westminster Abbey. If your points are good for this location, jump on it.

Aug 11th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Tim

I've stayed several times at the Easton Hotel, which is just down the street from Victoria Station. It's not fancy, but it's reasonably clean, and the staff is quite pleasant. A double with bathroom is 50 or 40 without. You can check it out (and other B&Bs) at:

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk

Aug 11th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Angela

This is in reponse to Mary;s query bout the Marriott Hotels in London. I love the Marriott at Grosvenor Square, true it is not as posh as County Hall, but it is small (relatively) with fabulous staff. The rooms are standard American-size and the location in Mayfair is quite nice.

Aug 12th, 2001, 05:06 AM
Russell Wayne

Forget about Bayswater and Notting Hill Gate. They're both pretty scruffy areas, hardly up there with the nicer areas of London. Hampstead's fine, but way outside. We found Knightsbridge quite attractive and especially good for shoppers. Soho and Covent Garden can be good or bad, depending upon your choice or hotels; the selection there is limited. In the price range you mentioned, the best you can hope for is clean and utilitarian. London is hideously expensive compared with cities on the continent.