Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Area to stay in Rome - Campi di Fiori or Vatican? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/area-to-stay-in-rome-campi-di-fiori-or-vatican-674399/)

danielef Jan 28th, 2007 03:25 AM

Area to stay in Rome - Campi di Fiori or Vatican?

I'm looking to budget apartment options for our family of 6 to stay in Rome for about 4 days. We are looking for a place that has good transportation options (bus or metro) nearby, so that we don't need to move together as a group and those who are tired can go back to the apartment for an afternoon nap. I noticed that areas such as Trastevere, Campi di Fiori and the Vatican have good and more affordable apartment options for 6 people, and I've also read here that staying close to the Termini station might not be the best choice, since it is a more seedy and perhaps more robbery-prone area. What's your opinion about that? How far from other sightseeing option will I be if I stay close to the Vatican?

Thanks!

Daniele

jabez Jan 28th, 2007 03:52 AM

Of the options you list my first choice is di Fiori. Second is Trastevere.
All 3 are fine,but Fiori is probably the best location where you can walk to many places and is great in the evening.
All 3 are actually fine,if you find a nice place go by the apartment.
While walking is okay,generally taking a short bus ride from the Vatican area will comfortably get you most anywhere. Trastevere is neat,but figure a bus or tram ride.
The Termini,while not my number one choice, never seemed unsafe to me.
With only 4 days and 6 people,staying near Navona is the best idea. Fiori is close by. It would be easy for you all to be out wandering and have a couple say that they want to sit ,enjoy a glass of wine, and people watch at Piazza Navona while others headed back to their flat.

annhig Jan 28th, 2007 05:01 AM

we stayed in the monti area last year and loved it. It's a very typically roman area between via nazionale and via cavour, just north of the coloseum.

It's very convenient for the forum, coloseum, capitaline hill, etc, but for the very centre you either walk or get the bus/metro.

At night it was great as there were any number of excellent local restaurants - we never had a bad meal and most were great. there are lots of lovely little workshops and shops nearby to look at too. we booked through www.italy-accom.com

good luck!

bittemercimata Jan 28th, 2007 05:13 AM

Just left Rome and wandered all over....Campo di Fiori is best because of location to many things within walking distance...Trastavere is Tram, metro or bus rides and gritty. Vatican is extremely touristy but convenient as well with a metro stop close by. Termini is close to so many bus stops that you can get anywhere from there and the metro is seconds away.

Even now, the pickpockets and thieves are on vacation, practicing their skills at home and waiting for summer, but still be mindful of where you are WHEREVER you travel and take reasoned precautions regarding wallet and passports.

Transport is dirt cheap and efficient, buses run all night and the walks are excellent, fun and very healthy for all the bread and pasta you will eat.

Buon appetito!

ps...recommended trip to top of the dome at St Peters Basilica, but only if you can walk up 300 plus stairs...worth the effort and the view, especially with camcorder!

SusanP Jan 28th, 2007 09:13 AM

Campo de' Fiori would definitely be my choice. The Vatican is too far away from everything except the Vatican. Fiori is close to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, lots of nice restaurants, close to numerous bus stops, walking distance to a lot of things.

normanoromano Jan 28th, 2007 03:15 PM

We stayed in the Borgo area for ten nights and the northern parts of the centro were reasonably walking accessible. We grabbed cabs when too tired to trek back. There are good enough transportation links especially at Piazza del Risorgimento (bus, metro nearby (FWIW), cabs and I think I remember a tram).
The advantage was wandering over to S.Pietro early in the misty morning sunrise (in September) gaining access to the Basilica and the dome before the tourist swarms. And every day a little visit if wanted. The Piazza at night is a whole other experience.
But we had a long time in Rome (another 18 nights in Trastevere). If I had only 4 days I'd probably stay in Campo dei Fiori area. In fact my choices in order would likely match the reciprocal cost rankings: C. dei Fiori, Trastevere, Borgo (not Prati). I don't think I would consider Termini unless cost were the priority.
My wild guess is that it might be more difficult to find bigger apartments in Campo area.

vivi Jan 28th, 2007 03:29 PM

Is Campo di Fiori basically the same thing as Navona?

What neighborhood is Via Firenze located in?

nbujic Jan 28th, 2007 03:38 PM

we stayed next to the Vatican and it was great to visit the Basilica and the
Chapel more than once . It is not far to walk to Navona ( we found that area very croweded )
The are around the railway station would not be my choice.

BCTravellers Jan 28th, 2007 03:43 PM

Hi,
We stayed at Roman Rooms, for 3 of us it was 85 Euros and we walked everywhere from there. Clean, friendly, convenient.
e-mail is:
[email protected]

dgg Jan 28th, 2007 03:53 PM

Vivi, to answer your question, the Campo di Fiori is very near the Piazza Navona. If you stay in the proximity of the Campo di Fiori, Piazza Navona or the Pantheon, you will be in the very heart of historical Rome. The attraction to the Campo di Fiori is its lively daytime market and the wonderful cafes that spill out onto the square in the evenings. Of these areas, the Campo di Fiori is closest to the Trastevere which is one of the best places in Rome to stroll in the evening and have a pleasant dinner. The area around the Vatican can be a little hit or miss in terms of atmosphere. You can't go wrong in the Campo di Fiori. You won't need to worry about transportation there since you will be in the very center of things. Don't stay near the Termini station.

nbujic Jan 28th, 2007 04:01 PM

True, there is not much going on at night near the Vatican. We either walked to Navona or took a cab to Trastevere.

rosetravels Jan 28th, 2007 06:11 PM

We had an apartment immediately south of the Vatican and I loved walking through St. Peter's square every day. It was a treat! That said, there weren't good restaurants near us. We are big on walking and did a lot of walking due to our location.

Next time I'd stay in the Navona or Fiori area for all the reasons stated. They are smack dab in the middle and everything is close.

vivi Jan 28th, 2007 06:57 PM

I am glad Daniele asked that question because I wanted to know the exact same thing. I thought that the Vatican sounded like a good place to stay but I found a cute VRBO in Navona and think it will be a better location.

My daughter stayed near Termini when she was backpacking on the cheap with friends last summer and said it was pretty seedy.

shazam1 Feb 28th, 2007 07:38 PM

Why not have a look at this website for some interesting and different accommodation options.I found it just recently www.monasterystays.com

Luv2travel15 Mar 3rd, 2007 07:56 AM

Shazam1:

That's a great website for those looking for inexpensive lodging in Rome! Thanks a bunch!