Area ok around rue de la Harpe, 5th?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've booked a studio apartment on rue de la Harpe. When I mentioned this to my friend she freaked out and said it was a dreadful area. Dreadful as in cheap restaurants and spruikers, unsafe as well! She usually stays on Cardinal Lemoine.
I stayed in an apartment on rue de bac last July and had a great time, nice area. This time I need a bigger studio for 3 people and the locality seems ok to me!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:32 AM
ira

Hi kim,

We were in the vicinity last May. Rue de la Harpe didn't appear particularly dreadful.

I think that it is more convenient than Lemoine.

What is a "spruiker"?

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:39 AM

There's nothing wrong with the area on/around rue de la Harpe. It's very touristy, gets extremely busy at night, restaurant touts trying to lure you into their places, etc. It's extremely convenient for metro/RER access as you'll have Cluny on the east end & St Michel on the west end. A pre-teen boy tried to pickpocket me but found just a map & water bottle in my purse, I bopped him with my umbrella and that was the end of that. I should think you'll have no problem at all, have a nice trip.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:40 AM

reverse that east & west, sorry!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:26 AM
ira

Or St. Michel on the N and Cluny on the S.

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:50 AM

I don't like that area because of the crowds, especially in-season, and the "restaurant pimps" that stand outside the door and attempt to coax you into the, yes, cheap eateries. But you can always dine elsewhere, I doubt the area is unsafe.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:53 AM

That would be way down toward the bottom of my list of areas to stay in, but I don't think it's unsafe. It's just noisy and crowded and, as others have mentioned, full of those icky cheap restaurants where the owners come out with plates with plastic food samples on them and try to haggle with you to come inside.
I'd also like to know what a spruiker is!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:47 AM

As the others have correctly stated; this area is not at all desirable. I would never ever stay here. It is safe as there are always lots of tourists out and about 24 hours a day. It would be very noisy, the restaurants suck but there is one good thing there. The McDonald's on the corner of Harpe and Blvd.St.Germain offers free Wi-Fi interent service for your laptop or pda.

Larry J
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:53 AM

And you can get a really good gyro there. But honestly, if the apartment is in your price range - its not unsafe; and it is busy, you actually might LIKE IT! From there the rest of Paris is there for you... your oyster!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:58 AM

i'd also like to know what a spruiker is.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:39 AM

"Spruiker, pronounced Sprooker...is a guy who stands on the door outside of a seedy strip joint and tells you what’s going on inside in an attempt to get you to go in..."(from an Australian band's web site)
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Stayed there just one night in a hotel. It wasn't seedy, but incredibly busy, crowded, noisy with tourists. I wouldn't worry about safety, but when you step out your door you are *IN* the middle of it all.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:30 PM

I think it's dreadful, also, and probably does have more petty crime (which goes with the massive crowds of tourists), so you'll have to be a bit more alert.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your replies and thanks Btilke for your definition of spruikers..it was spot on, must be a typical Aussie word..mate.
The studio is within budget of 145 Euro a night for the 3 of us and can provide a bed each. I have had difficulty finding an apartment for 5 nights that has 3 beds. Although I like the friends I'm travelling with we'd prefer not to share a bed!The time in Paris will be week 1 of a 6 week holiday together.
So if any of you wonderul people out there can recommend an apartment for 5 nights (August 05) which has 3 beds (twins/sofa bed), a balcony and a wasing machine in the 5th, 6th or 7th, I'd be so grateful. The other advantage of this particular studio is we pay on arrival, no deposit, no key deposit etc.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Actually, the street is not bad or unsafe. I styed at Hotel Alba on the street the winter before,for the location to Metro and buses(less than one minute walk), and walking distance to many museums. Besides, since it is always crowded, I felt quite dafe to walk around even in the middle of the night.

The scene on the street is not attractive, but as one doesn't eat in these restaurants, it shouldn't be too much a concern.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:16 AM
SRS

Kimerley,

Check out the apartment at Relais Bosquet in the 7th. It is www.relaisbosquet.com.

Looks like it is 145 Euro night or less if you fall with the proper time frames.

It claims twin beds and a sofa bed. Also, a balcony, and w/d.

I've stayed at the hotel and enjoyed it. I can't vouch for the apartment, but I imagine it would be great as well!

Best wishes,
Sally
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:17 AM
SRS

There are two apartments actually. I am referring to the larger one.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks Sally,I'll check you suggestion out.
I have found another studio apartment in the 2nd for only 50 euro a night! Has just been renovated. www.holiday-rentals.com which is an owner based site!
For that price it means I share a bed with a friend...it seems too good to be true. Sounds dreadfully glib to be complaining about planning a trip but I am so sick of looking for accommodation in Paris.Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Sally,
the apartment looks great. I've emailed to enquire if it is available. I've crossed fingers and toes and hope it is available.
many thanks for your suggestion
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM
SRS

Kimerle,

Post back with what you end up doing. If you do stay at the Relais Bosquet apartment, I'd be interested in knowing it goes as it is on my short list for the future!

Sally

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -