a day drive from arles to vaison la romaine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we intend to pick up a car in avignon around 11 am on a tuesday, drive to the pont du gard and then onto arles to spend the night. after a look around the arles market on wednesday, we need to drive to vaison la romaine. what would be the most picturesque, interesting, leisurely, delicious route that we could take if we want to pull over, shop a bit, have a nice lunch etc? we can get to vaison in the early evening. OR, we don't have to begin in Arles at all but we do have to end up in vaison la romaine by wednesday evening. Would it be better to stay in Saint Remy? Rousillion? Orange? Les Baux? Uzes? that first night? This is a brief 3 1/2 days in the region. I don't want to be too ambitious. The idea was to get a sense of both a small provencal city (arles) and a more idyllic, less populated location (vaison la romaine). Thank you!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM

I'll assume you're starting out in Arles for the day.

First, here is an area between Arles & Vaison that I think is not-so-scenic. Try to trace this on your map.

1. North of the D99 between Nimes through St Remy, to Cavaillon.
2. West of the D938 from Cavaillon through Pernes, to Carpentras.
3. Southwest of the D7/D8 from Carpentras through Vacqueyras to Ste Cecile - although that road itself (through vineyards) is secnic - it's just that about 5-10K southwest it is not as scenic.
4. East of the A9 from Orange to Nimes, although there are some spots between the Rhone & the A9 that are scenic.

If you traced this out, you'll see that it kinda forms a triangle, and covers a large area between Arles & Vaison. Basically, most of the area within this triangle is not that scneic, IMO. Up by Chateauneuf du Pape within this un-scenic triangle, there are some scenic roads through the vineyards.

Here is the route from Arles to Vaison that I would take.

Head out from Arles on the D17 & drive through the Alpilles to Les Baux. Everything immediatly around Les Baux is scenic. Then head to St Remy, and when you get to the D99, head west to Cavaillon. Many people like this D99 much more than I do. Too much traffic, IMO.

Once you get to Cavaillon, it will start getting ugly. Just get through town and follow the signs to Apt. This will take you on the D2 to Coustellet - which is another ugly section. From Coustellet, head to Gordes. The first few Ks past Coustellet are ugly, but soon it will get quite scenic. Continue on to Gordes till you get to "the view" of Gordes across the gully. Find a place to park the car, and take in the view. Retrace your route and go back towards Coustellet.

Just after you leave "the view" of Gordes, turn left (west) at the first intersection and take the road to Sault (I think it’s still the D2). This will take you just east of Gordes where you will see another nice view of Gordes. From the D2, take the D102 toward Lioux where the road passes Joucas and there are vineyards everywhere (and some very “exclusive” homes). Follow the signs to Lioux and get on the D60 just past Joucas. As you approach Lioux, you will see a large “sheared” rock formation to your right. You may have already seen this formation from several vantage points in the Luberon – it’s quite spectacular in the evening when it “glows” as the late day sun hits it. Don’t go to Lioux, but instead take the D60A (towards Sault) which parallels the D60 (that goes through Lioux) – this will give you the best view of this rock formation. Once past Lioux, get on the D943 to Sault and follow the signs to Sault.

A few miles past Lioux, you will pass an interesting looking Chateau that still looks inhabited. Continue on the D943 to Sault.

As you drive up into Sault and get to a spot where several roads meet, there is a gift shop on your right. The second road to the right just past this shop will take you to a parking lot. Explore Sault. There are a few cute shops & many outside spots to have lunch. Opposite the gift shop, there is a very famous nougat store. The most scenic place for lunch is near a very large park that overlooks the massive lavender fields in the valley below Sault (you will be driving through these fields next). There is usually a pizza truck parked nearby if you don’t want a “sit down” lunch and you just want to plop on a bench in this grassy area, admire the view, and munch on a slice of pizza.

Take the D942 to Aurel and then toward Montbrun. Just past Aurel, you will leave the Department of the Valcluse and enter the Department of the Drome where the road quality will change and the D942 will suddenly become the D542.

Get the cameras ready as you drive to Montbrun. As you approach the D72 just before Montbrun, look to your left for a good view of the village of Reilhanette. Continue on to the perched village of Montbrun. We’ve shot a lot of pictures of this village from down below. It’s not worth exploring “inside” this village, however, unless you need to stretch your legs.

Retrace your route on the D542 back to Reilhanette. Take the D72 west. The D72 actually changes it's name to the D41 as it leaves the Drome & enters the Vaucluse, then back to the D72 as it leaves the Vaucluse and re-enters the Drome. This D72/D41 is on top of a ridge & has some winding sections. If you are a little behind schedule, take the D40 west of Reilhanette instead. As you can see on your map, these roads end very close to Vaison. While on either the D40 or D72, take an up&back to Brantes.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

stu, this is fantastic! you must have a home in the area or have visited many, many times. have you thought of writing a book?! how long do you think it will all take?
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Without stops, I'm guessing maybe 3 hrs

1 hr Arles to Gordes via les Baux.

1 hr Gordes to Montbrun (could be less)

45 mins Montbrun to Vaison via the D40

We've vacationed in that region for over 16 weeks.

Sault might be a good place to stop for lunch.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 12:24 AM

Incroyable,

What about stopping for lunch in Isle sur la Sorgue just to the East of Avignon? It is a beautiful little town lined with waterwheels and the canals leading to the Sorgue River. The town is famous for its antiques, and it is quite a pleasure to meander through the numerous shops and stalls. The vielle ville (old town) is also very charming.

FYI, what time of year are you going? There is a really great Tuesday market in Vaison-la-Romaine, however, Vaison can be VERY crowded during the summer and weekends, so you might be a bit disappointed if you are hoping to see a less populated area.

The nearby Mirabelle-aux-Baronnies is a fabulous tiny hilltop 11th century village where you are sure to find fewer people. There is also an oil mill, Le Vieux Moulin, that produces the BEST olive oil I have ever tasted in my life. We make a stop at least once a year to stock up!

I hope that helps!

Jeni
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Dearest Stu: thank you so much for your itinerary for a day drive from arles to vaison la romaine! we are just back from france and had a fabulous time in great part to your help. we followed every step! we ended up leaving a little too late from arles and spent too much time in les baux. we would have liked to have spent a little bit more time in saint remy where we missed the market. However, we had lunch there, and it was really great. Your descriptions were perfect. We saw the interesting chateau, the rock formation, the amazing medieval towns along the way. It was a great, great drive on a beautiful autumn day with bright blue skies. We arrived in Vaison la Romaine around 5 p.m. Perfect. The next day we did Rick Steves' driving tour of the Cotes du Rhone which was really nice but not as reliable as your drive. All the best and thank you for making our trip so memorable.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM

Thank you for the kind words. Often people don't get back to Fodors and thank the varions people who helped them plan their trip. I'm glad you did.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Bookmarking and hoping to trace your steps - just traced it all on my map! It looks wonderful. Thanks Stu.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 07:22 AM

Ditto! I can't wait to explore the region in April.