Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are YOU famous (or infamous) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-you-famous-or-infamous-490038/)

KE1TH Dec 9th, 2004 09:46 AM

Are YOU famous (or infamous)

This isn't a troll question as I am genuinely inquisitive on this subject. A few years back a large thread started asking if you had ever bumped into a famous person in your travels. A current thread about the Ivy in London made me think about this again. Behind the anonymity of your user name on Fodors, are you someone that the general public (or even a specialized area of the public) would recognize? I know that someone can claim to be famous and not really be (a legend in their own mind), or if you really are famous wouldn't want to reveal your identity, but I thought this might be fun. Even some celebrities surely must use the internet to plan their holidays, and Fodors is one of the best places to do that. Let me start by saying that I am in no way famous (or infamous). Thanks, Keith

Intrepid1 Dec 9th, 2004 09:50 AM

Very clever question. Are we to limit the "fame" or "recognition" to any particular medium or can it include print, film, etc.??

cmt Dec 9th, 2004 09:52 AM

Easy question. Nope.

BeachBoi Dec 9th, 2004 10:00 AM

There are many famous faces on this board.....Poshspice, Christina(Aguilerra!!), Scarlett (Ohara) ..Robespierre, looking good for 246 y/o!! Dude, keep it up! And I have deduced that NYCFoodSnob is in fact Melania Knauss.....:D

LynnieD Dec 9th, 2004 10:07 AM

I was on Romper Room in 1963/64. Does that count?

Patrick Dec 9th, 2004 10:11 AM

Ted Turner posts here a lot, is it the same one??

Grinisa Dec 9th, 2004 10:14 AM

I'm sure my appearance on Bozo's Circus in 1966 was enough to launch me into celebrityhood.

Kayb95 Dec 9th, 2004 10:17 AM

Nope - still waiting for my 15 minutes. :)

Jolie Dec 9th, 2004 10:22 AM

I will be the first to admit that I am infamous. No autographs, please.

elaine Dec 9th, 2004 10:31 AM

Jeopardy 10 years ago.

Oh, isn't that what you meant?

Walter_Walltotti Dec 9th, 2004 10:33 AM

I once had a small part in a German Sex Comedy! - And I'm not even German!

When I say a small part I mean a small role - all I was required to do was come on to the screen.

When I say come on to the screen I mean I had a walk on role.

I was young and needed the money at the time.

When I say I was young and needed the money I mean I was 23, on holiday with friends in Lanzarote and they were after extras for an airport scene. Got about £10 for 3 hours work - and about 2 seconds screen time.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you see these things, no nudity was involved.

Madison Dec 9th, 2004 10:41 AM

I was on Let's Make a Deal and Richard Simmons Exercise Show. Also in his "Never Say Diet" Cookbook. I submitted a recipe that he liked. That, along with my picture is there for the world to see.

That's it. I'm sure you're all terribly impressed LOL!

dln Dec 9th, 2004 10:51 AM

I am the author of that thread about bumping into famous people. It's on the US forum and resurfaces every now and then. I myself had never "run into" anyone famous and was curious if anyone else had. Boy had they ever! I got quite an inferiority complex after reading all the responses!

Anyway, I'm famous only in my little neighborhood and that's only because I'm chairman of one of our neighborhood events. Otherwise, I travel to Europe to get my "famous" fix: see the works of famous painters, architects, etc. etc.

Kristina Dec 9th, 2004 10:57 AM

Not really.

But I had my 15 minutes of fame back in 1999. My husband and I did a 9 month long RTW trip and were interviewed by the NY Times in an article about "Techno-nomads". My name was the lead in to the main article on the front page of the "Circuits" section. We were traveling around the world, posting our travelogues and photos as we went.
This was before everyone and their brother had a "blog" and wireless technology didn't even exist. We had to find dial up connections in places like Nepal and our computer had a hard drive less than 1 gig!
Times have changed, but I still have my website and I still love to travel.
http://www.wired2theworld.com

Oh, and while I've never run into anyone famous on the road, I did run into a roommate from college I hadn't seen or spoken to in almost 10 years while on the street in Bangkok.

Travelnut Dec 9th, 2004 10:58 AM

I know someone who ran into someone famous once in Florence.

Marilyn Dec 9th, 2004 11:01 AM

Walter, that WAS you! I thought I recognized you! :-D

I am, shall we say, well known in several esoteric subcultures. (3D stereo photography, and rubber stamps, if you are curious) I don't think either qualifies as famous LOL.

SeaUrchin Dec 9th, 2004 11:09 AM

I was on Treasure Hunt in the 80's and the segment is shown alot on the Bloopers shows!

I was wearing a cap with an alligator on top and the MC kept giggling over it, which made it a "blooper".

Friends from around the country still see it from time to time.

Ahhh, stardom.....

P_M Dec 9th, 2004 11:12 AM

I was offered a role as an extra in the movie, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," but I turned it down. It would have been a 12-hour day and it only paid $25. If I had taken that job, I'm sure I would have been discovered and I would be famous today.

Also I was on a local children's show called Uncle Jay/Packer Jack, but only one episode.

Scarlett Dec 9th, 2004 11:25 AM

You might find bits and parts of me on various packages and in magazines.

My darlin Yankee is much more Famous than I am , yet no one would recognise him :D

mclaurie Dec 9th, 2004 11:32 AM

I've often wondered the same thing Keith. There is a poster gplimpton I discovered on the Caribbean board by accident who posted a few times on the US board. I thought it was George Plimpton but then the poster posted something after THE George Plimpton died so I was obviously wrong.

I sometimes wondered whether Scarlett was someone famous :-d Well she is here. Are/were you a hand model Miz Scarlett?