Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are you an Itinerary Person? Well Step Right Up! All Itineraries Welcome!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get this off my chest. I LOVE making itineraries, I really do. Even if I don't stick to them. I just enjoy the process. Once I've worked on all the delightful little details - I just want to share it.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoy reading other peoples itineraries as well - call me quirky. SO - for all of you with a wife (or husband, partner, friend, dog etc extraordinaire) who can barely suppress a groan when you tell them about your latest adjustment.....please feel free to share them here. I am all ears. I look forward to see where everyone is going - and if you change your mind - no problem. I'm with you friend - I get it.

Might I start the ball rolling. Please feel free to comment, throw out opinions, thoughts, random notes - whatever you like.

August 26-Oct 10

Fly to Glasgow
1 x Glasgow
4 x Dubrovnik - (travel, Dubrovnik, Cavtat, Lokrum Island)
1 x Mostar
5 x Montenegro - (Budva/Stevi Stefan, Ulcinj, Stari Bar, Ostrog Monastery, Kotor)
3 x Split - (travel/Split, Trogir, Brela/Markarska)
3 x Hvar - (Hvar Town, Jelsa/Stari Grad, Bicycle Rental)
4 x Zadar - (Zadar, Pag Island, Plitvice, Bicycle Rental on Pag)
7 x Pula - (travel, Motovun/Pazin, Rovinj, Porec, Labin, Vodnjan/Pula, free)
5 x Ljubljana - (travel/Ljubljana, Bled, Veliki Planina, Skofja Loka, Skocjan Caves)
3 x Salzburg - (travel/Salzburg, Salzburg, Werfen)
2 x Cesky Krumlov - (travel, Cesky Krumlov)
4 x Prague - (Prague, Prague, Kunta Hora, Prague)
2 x London
Fly Home

Well there is my baby (my current baby). All comments welcome!

Now your turn.....

Cheers,
Naxos
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM

I'm with you I adore itineraries. I'm making one now for our trip in August. I'm up to about the 264th version and loving every minute. Housework? Huh? Who said something about housework? LOL
I'll post my latest effort here now... we are away for 8 weeks, but here is the Italian leg, what do you think?
Day 1 - Arrive in Cinque Terre (from Nice, by train) later afternoon.
Day 2 / 3 - Explore Cinque Terre
Day 4 - Early morning train to Florence / explore
Day 5 - Explore Florence
Day 6 - Early train to Rome.
Day 8/9/10 - Rome
Day 11 - Early train to Venice
Day 12 /13 - Venice (ahhhhh.....)
Day 14 - Early train out of Italy, heading to Austria ....

Cheers
Cathy
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

LakesideChick - finally someone who understands-lol! Love it. I think it looks good personally (your missing day "7" though - I assume that is in Rome) and not too rushed. Where else are you going if this is just one leg?

Keep em coming!

Naxos
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Ahhhhh We are going away for 2 months, so that is a whole lot of itinerrary planning... and we are going to fly by the seat of our pants for 5 weeks and book accom as we go... and possibly change plans... which of course leads to itinerary A, B, C, D.....

The Switzerland leg is looking like this.... (at the moment)

(coming from Paris)...
Day 1 - Train to Lyon and pick up car.Overnight Chamonix(?? maybe)
Day 2 - Chamonix to Zermatt. Lunch Sion? Sierre? (I went to Sion last time and had a fabulous hike)
day 3 - Zermatt (cable cars etc to summit of Klein Matterhorn, done it before but my partner hasnt, and I loved it)
Day 4 Zermatt (Gornerschlucht? The lower end!)
Day 5/6/7 Zermatt - Lauterbrunnen (stay Murren) - 3 nights and then back to France. While in this area we will do hikes and cable cars
How does that sound?

As for your itinerary... a must do in Salzburg.... the worlds largest ice cave.... awesome half day.... link is http://www.visit-salzburg.net/surrou...riesenwelt.htm

Ive also been to Prague, best thing at the castle is the Golden Lane, got to get there before the hoards of tourists, get to castle b4 it opens, be first in, and head straight there. Wander, imagine it as it was years ago, buy a souvenir, and then return an hour later and see 10,000 tourists crowding in and be glad you got there first!!!
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

2 months! That is fantastic -what a lucky pair. I've never had the pleasure of going to Switzerland (though I've researched several "itineraries" through it-lol! Sounds wonderful - would love to go to Zermatt myself.

I'll have to try to get the wife up early for the Godlen Lane - indeed I've heard an early start is the best way to see many of Pragues sites.

Cheers,
Naxos
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 11:49 PM

Also, seeing Charles Bridge very early before the hourds is wonderful. My best morning in Prague was getting up at dawn, walking around the old town and having it to myself, eating brerakky, wandering across Charles Bridge and up the hill to the castle, then heading straight for tthe Golden Lane. It is so worth it, as the tourist crowds really spoil it.