Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are Women Still Going Topless in Italy? Particularly in the Amalfi area.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 11:04 AM
linda wilson

Will be visiting Amalfi next July and was wondering if this is still true. Am I going to feel totally out of place?

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 01:05 PM
Santachiara

Throughout Italy you have a choice. You will not feel out of place whichever way you go: topless or not, one piece, bikini or thong. There will a variety of everything. But try it. You might like it. <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 01:54 PM
Lola

It varies, depending on the area; if Europeans are around, you'll find a mix. If you feel uncomfortable, you can always find a cove, especially in the Conca or Praiano area--you'll just have to climb hundreds of steps up and down. Suggest you hire a boat from local fisherman ($20/hr. or so) and either go topless there, or on your private sunning area. Hiring a boat along the gorgeous coast is a great idea, in any case....

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 04:41 PM
Ray

Hi Linda! I have a piece of advise for you..."when in Rome, do as the Romans do! You'll get used to it quickly. Why be ashame of your body..No one will stare at you.I've seen entire families toples on the beach in Italy. Have a great time regardless of what you decide to do

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 04:20 AM
francesca

You might feel a bit out of place in a 2-piece and definately a 1-piece, but do whatever you feel comfortable doing. Maybe after day 1, you will feel like letting go...don't forget to put sun protection on your chest--a good place for burns since in the US, most bosoms don't see the sun!

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 05:51 AM
hamlet

Contrary to the above posts, when I was in the Amalfi area I NEVER saw a topless woman sunning or swimming on the beach. And it wasn't just one time that I was there. Go figure.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 08:00 AM
Dawn

While in Italy a few years ago, I decided to take my top off at a beach near Rome, I felt uncomfortable for the first 5 minutes. Then it was quite liberating. I no longer feel uncomfortable about things like this at all.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 05:04 AM
Caryn

IMO, you will feel more out of place on any beach in Europe (that I've been to)with a one piece bathing on than with the top of your bikini on. In general, they really don't wear one pieces in Europe, especially on the "trendy" beaches. You will be fine with or without the top. No one will care. But going topless is great! Try it!

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 09:27 AM
Wilma

Can you go totally nude in Italy?

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 12:18 PM
Liz

You won't feel uncomfortable. I was in St. Tropez 2 summers ago and never took my bikini top off. No one could care less. Just enjoy yourlself.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 11:22 AM
Jeremy

I hear that you can go totally nude there now. Sounds like the Italians have got it going on!!!

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 11:27 AM
Lally

What about age? I mean, there are many beaches in the US where women over 45 are almost invisible, as if forbidden unless they have Jane Fonda's body. They either don't go to the beach or don't go swimming. On the other hand, I remember seeing photos of very heavy, late-middle-aged women topless on the shores of the Black Sea. <BR> <BR>So, are there "aesthetics" police in Italy -- i.e., are the beach people pretty much confined to the 40 and under crowd?

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 12:51 PM
Santa Chiara

Relax. Nothing to worry about; women my age (early 50s) and older, sunbathe in one-piece swimsuits, bikinis, topless and thongs. And this is at the city public swimming pool, much less a beach resort. It's just not that big a deal. Your part of the bargain, however, is not to be globby fat and to be waxed, polished and buffed in all the right places. Enjoy. It is an extraordinarily liberating experience. As one colleague said to me,"Why do you Americans have such a thing about public nudity, but you have no problem--on TV and in real life--with guns and violence?" Good question.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 05:21 PM
nancy

Santa Chiara, <BR>I have a question for you. <BR>Were you being sarcastic when you said that one can wear anything (or almost nothing )as long as one is "polished, buffed and waxed "? <BR>At our age , that is not a reality, unless one goes in for cosmetic surgeries, or spends alot of time and money at spas. <BR>nancy

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 03:17 PM
barbie

Santa Chiara, <BR>Where can I get "polished, buffed, and waxed" <BR>Usually it is only my car which undergoes such rituals! <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 08:21 AM
Janie

Go nude if you really want to show it off and get some attention-it works!

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 01:59 AM
christina

ciao linda! <BR>sure you can go topless on beaches here in italy. but DON'T GO NUDE! the carabinieri will bring you as soon as possible away from the beach. only if the place is clearly signed that it's for nudists you can do what you want. maybe you will find some hidden places where you can try it, but even then you will be supposed to have a LOT of people who are looking. <BR> <BR>but topless is natural here in my country. this summer it's hip to wear bikinis and so you will find women who are wearing slip and top. i actually wear my bikini when going to the beach and as soon as i'm there i liberate myself from the top. don't forgett to put your top on again if you go to the bar on the beachside. <BR> <BR>auguri! <BR>christina

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 10:22 AM
Judith

I have heard that the europeans-men and women-are starting to go around totally nude on all the beaches in France and Italy, is that true.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 03:02 PM
Christina

no! it's NOT true! i don't know why exactly americans are thinking this... but maybe you can find places who are PARTICULLARLY SIGNED for nudists, but this isn't new, it is something very old. <BR> <BR>so, don't beleve everything you hear.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 08:01 AM
Janey

Why do you have to put your top back on to go to a bar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -