Are wine tastings free in Beaune and what about this hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me what if any are the charges for wine tasting, at different wineries.
Also does anyone know anything about The Hotel Bretonniere, on Rue Faubourg In Beaune. Thanks
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 03:43 PM

There are 2 major wine negociants in Beaune that have tastings. Marche aux vins and Patriarche both have organized tasting tours of their facilities. There is a a charge at both places. But you do get to taste a variety of great wines and you receive a tastevin (tasting cup) to keep. As I remember the cost was about $20 at each place but well worth it. Cannot comment on the hotels. Beaune was one of my favorite places in France.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 04:03 PM

Hi
We're not wine connoisseurs by any means but, we were there at the marche aux vins in 2001. We were in the cellar "tasting" all the wines, filling up our little tasting cups and DRINKING the wines at 9:30 AM. I was wondering what all the little barrels were for!

Drunk at 9:30AM is no way to through life But we had a great day!!
Enjoy.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 04:06 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
lyban

We visited the Patriarche cellars which extend under much of Beaune. It was a group tour & we also ate dinner in the cellars. That had set up tasting stations & supplied us with a tastevin (hideous metal things). We got pretty sloshed before dinner - great fun. Very impressive caves. I don't know if they have 'tour times' for individuals.

see http://www.patriarche.com/fr/index.htm#
(French only)

also see

http://www.beaune-visite-en-caves.com/index_uk.htm

Ian
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 04:46 PM
RJD

In and around Beaune, which I have visited twice, there are may wineries and negociants that have "free" tastings. It is however coinsidered polite to purchase a bottle or two after you've decided on the wines you like best.
As for accomodations, I've stayed at Le Cedre, an excellent hotel with a wonderful staff and bright and spacious rooms. It's on the ring road around the town. You can walk to anywhere in town in 10 minutes. Write for furthur information.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 05:43 PM

We stayed at the Hostellerie de la Bretonniere twice and were very satisfied each time. It is right in town, has courtyard parking and quiet rooms, lovely outdoor tables for breakfast and drinks and nice personnel. It is a tourist class hotel, but clean and pleasant and very reasonaable. There is no parking charge. We will stay there again when we visit Beaune.