Reload this Page >

Are we just repeating ourselves, ourselves, ourselves

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Are

Have all legitimate European travel questions been answered? When I first found this forum, everything was new and interesting. However, I've been watching this forum long enough to see just about every topic repeated, or so it seems. Could it be that there has been an increase in trolling out of boredom? I dare say that I think this very topic has been done before.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:32 AM
itsalways

Hey, if you're bored, get off the page! <BR>Always something entertaining, interesting and useful. I personally don't want it to change!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Outside Interests

You sound like one of those people who post "research!" whenever a question is asked. News flash: some of us don't live on this board, and just come back whenever they're planning a trip to Europe, say, once a year. What's wrong with trying to get up to date information from people who just got back from Europe? It's not repetition.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Yeah, so

Yeah, so? <BR> <BR>Yeah, so? <BR> <BR>Yeah, so? <BR> <BR>But seriously... who here loves Christine Lavin (folk artist)... with that cute little line in the song, Sensitive New Age Guys: <BR> <BR>Who likes music that's repetitious? <BR>Who likes music that's repetitious? <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:54 AM
are

Outside interests: So why are you reading this post if you are so busy researching your next trip? Yes, I am someone who says "research", or at least "search" (when that function works). How dare I suggest such a thing?! You say you "research" only when you plan to travel, yet you are apparently offended by being told to actually do some research (or, heavens forbid, "search" the forum for an answer). Your comments are simply not consistent with your own activities. (Some might call that hypocrisy.)

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:56 AM
janice

As a repeated victim of the search function (as in freezing up my entire computer to the point of having to restart) I guess I'm a big fan of repetition.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Book Chick

First of all, yes, Christine Lavin is a genius in her own right. <BR> <BR>Secondly this isn't repetitious, because some folks share the new hotel (or "new" to them, anyway, & probably new to a number of folks on the forum) or new restaurant or they have direct experience with something new to Europe, like hydrofoils on a different route. This helps keep the forum fresh. In addition, there are people every day who are here for the first time & have no idea that someone 3 months ago posted something about the Hotel Casa-boo-boo, so they post a query about it. (Sometimes in response, the folks here will top an old post, but this can still be a method of helping the person posing the question.) <BR> <BR>Finally, some of us are just plain addicts, man, we're travel junkies & instead of hanging around different terminals at DTW, it's safer for me to be right here among my fellow addicts, even if I'm only getting a contact buzz. <BR>BC

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:00 PM
micia

I think what a lot of people here on this board do not realize is that many times asking questions is a new person to the board. <BR>If they are new, they do not know how the board works. Most do not realize they can do a search for past topics, <BR>I certainly did not my first time here, when I needed help for a trip. <BR>I have learned little by little since I now keep visiting here. <BR>There are still things (abbreviations) that I do not get (IMHO, IMO?). <BR> <BR>I feel sorry for some posters that ask a question and the first person that responds, is mean, telling them not so nicely to do a search. <BR>Not everyone hangs out here. <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Berp

That is just so cool, and so Fodorific, to bring up some minor folk singer that no one in the world except you ultra-hip Fodor snobs knows about. I'm so glad we have you Elitists to tell us what's groovy and what is and isn't worth seeing and doing on our vacations. Obviously the masses simply know nothing without you folks educating us.Gee, let me guess your political affiliation.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Outside interests

Precisely my point, Micia. Well said as always, Book Chick. <BR> <BR>Are: you are a loser. You need to get a life. <BR> <BR>If your view were correct, what would be the point in having a bulletin board? Why not end the board and just have people search an archive? <BR> <BR>For most of us, this is an up to date, reliable place for information on European travel. For those of us who are not planning a trip any time soon, it is a fun way to fantasize about travel, and share your views as to, say, your favorite bakery in the 6th arr. of Paris. For most of us, it's pure fun. If you're bored, then go elsewhere. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:07 PM
are

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing those who ask the questions that have already been discussed. Nor should one be criticized for suggesting that "search" is in order, although I do emphathise on the "search" woes. However, it is interesting to note that today we have seen a struggling "bidet as a water fountain" thread-joke, and a thread about the red light district that has deteriorated into a debate about morality. Been there, done that. I, too, like the "contact high" I get from reading about recent adventures. That said, we appear to be repeating ourselves. My hypothesis is that absent new material, people get ansy and start trolling???

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:20 PM
An elitist Euro-dite? Well, sure

But I don't think you could pigeonhole me. <BR> <BR>If it were up to me, the only form of government would be a "merit-ocracy". <BR> <BR>As for my political affiliations, I am generally sympathetic with those candidates proposing the least form of government possible. I guess that would make me a far-right wing Republican, except that I am strongly pro-choice, and want little or nothing to do with the RELIGIOUS right. <BR> <BR>And the point of your anti-elitism diatribe is what? <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:20 PM
are

Outside: Again, you demonstrate what some might call hypocrisy. You previously pompously posted that you have much too much to do than read this forum regularly. Indeed, your moniker says the same thing. Yet, everything you type indicates you are, in fact, addicted to this site. You are quite defensive when someone dare threaten your "fix." Don't worry, you'll get your fix. By the wa, frankly this forum could be frozen and distilled into a list of FAQs, which would probably address 90%+ of the posts on here. You are in denial if you think otherwise.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Nancy

I hope you from time to time make your own interesting contribution. I do agree there are some limitations on this board. I tried inquiring about interesting hikes on Kauai once and got back 1-2 responses. I asked about eco diving tours I got back nothing. I know this was the domestic board but I do not see a big difference here. So I tell people when I find something interesting/off the beaten path etc. Know a bit about a countries history, landscape, hidden treasures you should do the same.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:32 PM
SolutionQueen

Amusing idea for You: <BR>Make up a unique question that interests You, then You post the reply (several of them, if You like)! If You already know everything, You could amuse the rest of us instead of the other way around. <BR>Seriously, why not spend some time giving rather than receiving? <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Hi

Micia, <BR> <BR>IMO = In My Opinion <BR>IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Hiho

How do I get from Rome to Pompeii? and, can I do it in a day?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:42 PM
micia

Hi: Thank you. <BR> <BR>Will you tell me one more? <BR>LOL?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Book Chick

Micia, <BR>Laugh Out Loud <BR> <BR>BC

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:15 PM
poetic justice

We're not done here, kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -