Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are we crazy to drive from Rome to Positano on a Sunday in late May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep hearing about how terrible it is to drive the Amalfi Coast. Having driven Big Sur, the road to Hana, in S.F. and having lived in L.A. and NYC, are we prepared? Some advise to avoid driving at all costs and train from Rome to Sorrento via Naples and then ferry to Positano, but that seems like a schlepp when measured against driving into Positano and parking the car at the hotel garage and having the flexibility to leave when we like. Unless the route is like a day in hades.
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:02 AM

Hi Arizonaa - Driving the Amalfi Coast is a problem in July/August. In May it's not an issue ...

Steve
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:26 AM

Big Sur, the road to Hana, SF, LA, and NYC are all good training for the Amalfi Coast road. You will be fine--as long as the driver can keep her/his eyes on the road! It's probably the most beautiful drive I've ever taken.

The train from Rome to Salerno and then the ferry or bus from Salerno to Positano works well too if you decide to forgo the car.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

I love lilacs! We can do a train from Rome right to Salerno and avoid the Naples change?
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:57 AM

We're driving to Positano from Chianti for the last week in May...we have driven everywhere so not concerned. People say you can get a guide (300Euro per day) or take the bus (but you may end up standing or sitting on the mountain side and some say the windows are dirty) so I checked the road on google maps and the roads look good, just very windy so at least if the traffic is slow the driver can see or we can stop at lookouts and take pictures...so go for it!
Som
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:32 AM

You won't have any problem. I've never heard such hyperbole about anything as the difficulties of driving the AC. We've been twice in the last three summers (driving down from Rome) and it's no problem. Parking is difficult, so make sure your hotel has a place to park, but the driving is much ado about nothing unless you're a nervous driver (which doesn't seem to apply in your case).
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Yes, there are many trains from Rome to Salerno that don't require a connection in Naples and take under 3 hours.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Positano Hotel does have a place to park. Any hints about our 3-week driving trip thru Italy, staying 3-4 days in each place: Rome, Amalfi, Tuscany, Venice, Lake Como.