Are We Crazy-D-Day Tour in December??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DH and I are staying in Paris December 11-18. We want to spend 4 nights somewhere else in France and then come back for 3 nights before heading home on the 25th. My DH has always wanted to go to Normandy and see the D-Day Beaches and other points of interest. The distance and time to get there is perfect, just questioning the time of year. I know the weather will not be great, but that would probably be the case anywhere we go. I just need advice on whether it's a reasonable idea. The other possibility is to go the Alsace region. We stayed in Provence on our last two trips over the past 2 years. We also talked about flying to Rome for those days, but sounds like such a hassle. I like the idea of taking a train from Paris central and renting a car when we reach our destination.

I really need your input!
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:46 PM

It will all depend on the weather along the coast. It can be rather challenging during the winter months when the days are short and it rains...
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:26 PM

It was very cool with rain and wind when I was there one early May, but the area is certainly worthwhile seeing so if that's the only time you can get there, I'd go for it. I would take a tour from one of the operators in Bayeux, though; I think that would make it easier than trying to do it yourself in bad weather.
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:36 PM

The tour is a good idea at that time of year. We have visited Normandy twice from Paris. You can take the train to either Caen or Bayeux. We traveled by train to Caen where we had a car reserved from one of the many rental offices across from the train station. Driving was fairly easy but our trips were in April and September. We had pretty cold weather there even in April but had the right clothes--just didn't want to linger on the bluffs looking over the sea. We stayed at the Hotel Churchill in Bayeux and would choose it again if we were to return.
Old May 5th, 2013, 12:45 AM

I did it in December 5 years ago. It was clear, not so cold, and we had a wonderful time. We spent three nights in Bayeux. My concern with the Normandy coast, or anywhere else on the Channel for that matter, is pouring rain. I much prefer cooler weather vs. rain. Either way, you've just got to suck it up, commit, go, and enjoy yourself whatever the weather has in store. I got a great deal on a car from Hotwire.com and took the train to CDG to pick it up, but kept the car 10 days to tour other areas in France. I spent Christmas day in Carcassonne. My wife is a teacher and we have traveled in December several times. No horror stories yet, but a lot of great memories.
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:33 AM

Try to go to the Mémorial Museum in Caen before you go to the beaches. It is excellent and provides a good context for the beaches. Or, see the museum when/if it rains, but don't miss it.
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:43 AM

URL FOR THE MUSEUM:

http://www.memorial-caen.fr/portailgb/
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for everyone's replies. You've helped me make my decision. We'll take some good rain gear and be prepared for whatever weather comes our way! Actually, I'm looking forward to staying somewhere that has a fireplace in the common area and cozy restaurants.

We are definetily going to hire a guide. We are planning on a two day tour. I have contacted several and all are available. Now just have to pick one. We will stay in either Bayeux or the surrounding countryside. I saw one B&B in Ste Mare Eglise that looks great. Yes, we will do the war museum. Probably the day we arrive in Caen.

Last question. We will still have one day there that isn't planned so far. Should we drive to Mont St. Michel for the day or to Honfleur?
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:57 AM

Unless you have been to Paris, I would use the unplanned day to return to Paris so that you will have 4 days there. The days are quite short at that time of year and it is easier to get around a city rather than driving in the dark.
Old May 5th, 2013, 05:11 AM

I think you could play it by ear that time of year. Honfleur, imo, is best seen in sunshine.
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Mamcalice,
We have been to Paris many times and we will be in Paris 10 days total on this trip (7 at the beginning and three at the end). We both just thought it would be fun to get out of Paris for a few nights. I agree with you about a city being easier to negotiate when it gets dark so early. For that reason, I am leaning towards staying in the town of Bayeux VS out in the countryside.
Cathinjoetown,
I think you are right about Honfleur. My gut said it was the wrong time of year. I am now thinking of three nights in Bayeux then on our last day, drive to see Mt St. Michel and continue on and spend the night in Dinan, returning the rental car in Rennes. Does that sound like a good idea?
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:04 AM

Sounds good, Dinan has a great old town.