Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are train reservations necessary in Italy?

Jan 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

We will be flying into Rome and want to catch the first possible train to Milan. It looks like they leave every hour but with our inexact arrival times, customs, and travel time to the train station, it's impossible to know exactly which train to reserve. Are reservations necessary? ( We will be traveling on a Thursday in July - around mid-day.)
Also, does anyone know of an inexpensive hotel in Milan near the train station? We will simply stay one night and leave early the next day for Varenna. (I'm sure after the transcontinental plane trip from Seattle to Rome and the train to Milan, we will be able to sleep ANYWHERE!)
Thanks for the advice,
Bob
Jan 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Reservations are necessary for the Eurostar Italia trains but you can make these reservations at the Rome Airport. The staff will know which is the next train to Milan that you can connect with at the Rome Termini station. There is a shuttle train from the airport to Termini.
Jan 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM
ira

Hi H,

By your tickets to Milan at the FCO train station when you buy your ticket to Rome TE.

May I ask why, if you are going to Milan, are you flying into Rome?

Jan 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM

The above suggestions are good, but why not spend the first night in a hotel near termini in Rome, and head all the way to Varenna the next day?
Jan 13th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Good question Ira about why we didn't fly directly into Milan instead of flying to Rome. The answer is that we were able to get two free frequent flyer tickets from Seattle to Rome and back.(Actually, although our trip ends in Rome, we are flying back from Paris.) With round trip tickets running over $1000 each, we figured it was worth it. By the way, for people who say it's impossible to get frequent flyer tickets to Europe for the summer months, I found a way to do it. First, call a year ahead of time. Second, ask the agent to check for free flights to ANY city in Europe and make connections with either the train or the regional airlines in Europe. They are amazingly cheap (Flights from Rome to Paris are often $25.00).
This is the second European trip I've done this way and I've saved a bundle!
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:08 AM
ira

Good planning, H.