Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Are Trafalgar CostSaver tours in Europe good?

Are Trafalgar CostSaver tours in Europe good?

Mar 10th, 2001, 12:00 PM
amanda

Are Trafalgar CostSaver tours in Europe good?

My two daughters (16 and 21) and I have a hold on the Cosmopolitan tour (Paris-Lyon-Nice-Florence-Rome-Venice-Vienna-Innsbruk-LakeLucerne-Rhineland-Amsterdam---23 days). We are trying to decide if we will really see enough of the major sites on a tour like this, or if we should find a shorter trip that focuses on one area, like Rome, Italy.

Mar 11th, 2001, 03:24 PM
lynn

Hi Amanda:
My husband and I did this tour quite a few years ago. The answer I have to give to your concerns about seeing enough of the main sites is probably not. However you will get to see some and maybe thats a good place to start.
For example, in Rome we got in to St Peter's without having to queue up for ages but only stood up above the Forum without having any time to go and wander around. We did the Coliseum and the Pantheon and the Spanish steps and the Trevi fountain so we did lots. Then spent a memorable evening at a wonderful restaurant that opened up in the old city just in the evenings.
I think that you will see lots of things, but not everything.
You will have the assistance at all times of your tour guide which can sometimes be irritating and other times indispensable.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Lynn

Mar 11th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Joanna

Lynn, I'm puzzled by your comment about not having to queue up for St. Peters. I've been there 3 times and never had to queue to get in. Do you mean the Vatican Museum? Or perhaps the lift to the dome?

Amanda, as for the cost saver tours, I believe the hotels are not in the centre of town (i.e. Venice - hotel located at Mestre), so you won't be able to wander around by yourself once the day's touring is done. Make sure you read the small print to see exactly what you are getting and what extras you'll have to have ready money for.

Search this Thread