Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are these the best towns to stay at in Scotland?

May 8th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

I've been searching through old posts; it seems like you experts must get tired of reading itinerary after itinerary...which is why I feel a little guilty asking for advice. I'm planning a rail/bus trip through Scotland for June 13-23 (9 nights). I don't know if I've picked the best towns to spend the night in. Can you give me any insight? If it makes a difference, we are looking for VERY inexpensive accomodation, definitely not over 20 pounds per person. Yes, we're looking seriously at private rooms in hostels. I'm also not too interested in 'doing' a lot; I'd like a leisurely trip (for once).

1: fly into Glasgow; to Brodick on Isle of Arran. (for pure R&R)
2: Arran (same)
3: Pitlochry (for walking/hiking, distillery, and maybe nearby castles?)
3: Pitlochry (same)
4: Inverness/Loch Ness (I know it's a trap, but I love the monster!)
5: Edinburgh for remainder of trip. Possible side trips to Traquair (I love beer) and Stirling to see the new pink castle.

I studied in Edinburgh for a semester, so I want to devote a good chunk to the city.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
May 8th, 2003, 03:38 PM

You might try Sterling for a stay. It is a nice walkable city.
May 8th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, axelrod6. Stirling is a nice town, with a lot to see. But being so close to Edinburgh, I'm going to be itching to just get to the city!

I've heard/read negative things about Pitlochry -- what are the current opinions of you all here? Does it totally lack charm? Is there a better mid-way point between Isle of Arran and Inverness? (by train, remember!)
May 9th, 2003, 03:01 AM

Hi - I stayed in Pitlochry a couple of nights in September, 1998 and thought the town was charming. It has a good small theatre and we got tickets to see a John Mortimer play throught the TI. We also saw both Blair and Glamis castles as day trips from Pitlochry and there's the fish ladder in town.

I can't advise getting around via public transportation as we had a car. If you're planning to hike I think a car would be the best bet as you're going to need to get out of town to hiking trails some way and then get back to where you're staying. Think about renting a car for the portion of the trip when you're not in cities. The driving is quite easy to the places you've mentioned - very little traffic and well marked roads.

adrienne

May 9th, 2003, 03:44 AM

Rail/bus tip for pitlochry - there is a post bus (early) linking Pitlochry with the west coast rail line at Rannoch station (halfway up a mountain)(pitlochry is on the east line).Handy if you have a railpass.Pitlochry is a fairly quiet wee town, has a good campsite near loch faskally.I'd say forget Inverness, try Skye.Cash tip - look for trailers (caravans) to rent, some are on campsites but best are situated on farms.Cheaper & IMO better than B&B.
May 9th, 2003, 04:32 AM

Only comment I have is that I'd maybe suggest Dunkeld instead of Pitlochry.

Pitlochry is full of touristy shops, and is a bit naff (IMHO). It's in a lovely location and on the railway line. Dunkeld is smaller and more charming, and would be my choice.
May 9th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Inverness was ok, but I much preferred Skye and Oban. They can both be done together for a couple of days, they are very close to eachother.
May 9th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Since no one has completely hated Pitlochry, and it got a few good reviews, I think I'll stick with it.

But I have made bad decisions before...like deciding to stay at the creepy Hotel Louisiana near the Marseille airport. I felt like I was in a horror movie.

Alas, Skye! I imagine I'm going to miss out on a beautiful trip, but I decided to just visit one island. I'll second-guess myself to bits if I'm not careful!