Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Are there places in North America that remind you of Europe?

Are there places in North America that remind you of Europe?

Jun 14th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Paul

Are there places in North America that remind you of Europe?

Sometimes in my "new world" travels I have run across settings that transport me to the "old world". A couple of these are: Quebec City - for its history, perfectly intact walled core, narrow cobbled lanes, French language and castle-like Chateau Frontenac;
Victoria, British Columbia - for its substantial architecture, B&Bs, high-tea tradition and many UK retirees. Even places here in modern California can do the trick: Stanford University Campus - beautiful Mediterranean look and feel and inspiring Rodin sculpture garden; Grace Cathedral in SF - a 20th century "pillar of the earth" with an interior of grandeur; or Filoli Mansion (NT) - a Georgian revival country estate with a rose garden that evokes those of an English manor. What places have you discovered that take you "across the pond?

Jun 14th, 2000, 06:32 PM
Ellen

The town of Niagara on the Lake, nearby Niagara Falls has a very European feel to me. It exudes charm!
Ellen

Jun 14th, 2000, 06:51 PM
Richard

For me, it's the other way about. 1937-47 Albany, NY. We still had trolley cars, cobblestone streets, local bakery, grocer, vibrant downtown, people out walking; 1948 we moved to Columbia County, NY. Dairy farms and apple orchards. I go to Europe and I'm reminded of the North America (albeit a very small part) I grew up in.

Jun 14th, 2000, 07:03 PM
adina

The Cloisters in upper Manhattan.

Jun 14th, 2000, 11:25 PM
Big

New Orleans, of course! A European city right here in America.

Jun 15th, 2000, 01:21 AM
Kaja

I visited Yosemite last summer and I felt like I was in my homeplace Norway! Yosemite with its lakes, waterfalls, mountains, rivers and forests reminded me a lot about Norway.
Kaja

Jun 15th, 2000, 04:52 AM
Maira

What a great question!! I am surprised this topic has not come up before. I worked as an Environmental Engineer and my job takes me all over upstate New York. Never ceases to amaze me how amazingly beautiful this state is. Just this week I visited Essex County and Schoharie County and the rural architecture, the scenery reminded me of Bavaria and of the Dolomites in Italy. The Adirondack Mountains are of such breathtaking beauty. Also the City of Saratoga Springs has a very English/pub flare. Montreal has a definite European ambience. (not St. Catherine Street, please!). An August 1997 vacation in Sonoma Valley took me right back to a 1996 trip to the Loire Valley. Aghhh, memories.....!!!!

Jun 15th, 2000, 09:12 AM
elvira

Upper New York State reminds me of the Dordogne Valley (rolling green 'mountains')

San Francisco and Boston remind me of Paris

American Southwest desert reminds me of Morocco

The Mexican coast near Rocky Point reminds me of the Greek Islands

Montezuma's Castle (in Arizona) reminds me of ancient Moroccan villages and the Madeleine in the Dordogne

Oh great now I miss twice as many places...

Jun 15th, 2000, 09:18 AM
lola

Another great question to contrast with the tackiness of some of the recent posts from US-forum rejects. Thank you Paul. I agree with others so far that the Hudson Valley and Adirondacks seems European in their cultural and scenic specialness. There is quiet here, and much of past centuries remain, with little chain or fast-food interference. Time has passed this region by, for the better in terms of tourism.

Jun 15th, 2000, 09:33 AM
elaine

I agree with several of the places already mentioned, especially since originally I come from upstate New York, but I will add
the Berkshire region of Massachusetts,
in the summer. It's not that it looks like anywhere in Europe that I know, but it's that feeling of being surrounded by
art museums, concerts, plays, etc., with charming not-too-expensive restaurants and inns. So far, it's not Disney-ized or Hamptons-ized, although there's a worrisome trend in that direction. Of course there's no metro,but nothing is perfect.

Jun 15th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Dawn

2 years ago at CHristmas, my Mom and I took a wonderful trip to the Biltmore in NC. What a fabulous place, and at Christmas the victorian decorations are spectacular. Close your eyes, and you think you're in the Loire Valley.

Jun 15th, 2000, 11:47 AM
John

A couple:
Much of southcentral Alaska looks and feels a lot like much of Finland - birch and spruce forests, long, long twilight evenings, wood-framed and small scale architecture, occasional Russian-influenced churches, a little dusty and unkempt, booze aplenty, mosquitoes like Lear jets;

Also in Alaska, several of the Aleutian Islands (those without active volcanoes) are very reminiscent of the Shetlands, sans sheep and fiddle music;

And yet again in Alaska, parts of the southeastern panhandle are very Norwegian-looking (mountains, fjords, guys named Einar.) Petersburg AK calls itself Little Norway and smells like it, too;

Finally, we were struck at how the pastel stucco buildings and the beautiful, transparent blue sky in Perpignan in France were ringers for San Francisco. The resemblance stops there, though.

Jun 15th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Al

Northeast Iowa resembles parts of the Czech Republic -- not the towns, just the farmland. Minnesota is a dead-ringer for parts of Sweden. Many places in Oklahoma and the Flint Hills of Kansas look like parts of Kenya
out on the Masai Mara Reserve. Just grassland as far as the eye can see. Here in Arizona we have a lot of places that look like Samburuland, in northern Kenya as you approach the Ethiopian border. Hot, red, dusty and covered with scrub.

Jun 15th, 2000, 12:49 PM
Win

Some of the rolling, lush green hills of both Virginia and Vermont remind me of Ireland...

Jun 16th, 2000, 02:50 PM
FE

Annapolis, MD. I spent four years at the U.S. Naval Academy and downtown Annapolis reminds me of an old Englich town with the narrow streets, nice sidewalks, and its slower pace.

Jun 16th, 2000, 04:15 PM
guy

Can't believe no one has mentioned Charleston, SC

Jun 16th, 2000, 07:02 PM
Cynthia

Prince Edward Island is
Ireland...East Aurora, New York is
the South of France and Algiers is
Hilton Head . I'm talking about
LIGHT, not buildings, not
food...none of that stuff...the
LIGHT makes it like Europe.

Jun 16th, 2000, 07:30 PM
JCK

Portsmouth, NH reminds me a lot of Liverpool, England

Jun 16th, 2000, 09:48 PM
nickie

Of course Fredricksburg, Texas is Little Germany!

Jun 17th, 2000, 04:49 AM
Tony Hughes

Rural Kentucky reminded me of home (Scotland). Change the weather a little and it would be bang on.

Search this Thread