Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there busses between Lucca & San Gimigano?

Mar 16th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Barbara

We are planning on staying in Lucca in May and were wondering if there are busses that run between Lucca & San Gimigano? If we decide to rent a car, are the roads fairly easy to navigate between the two cities? and how many hours of a drive?

Mar 16th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Christine

I am certain there are busses between the two cities. However, I recommend renting a car and driving. The trip is not more than 2 hours, if that. The roads are not difficult to navigate at all and there is so much to see and do in Italy- why waste in through a bus if you do not need to. The ability to stop whenever you want to while driving is optimal in an area where being spontaneous is natural! Buon Viaggio!

Mar 16th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Judy

There is no bus from Lucca to San G.
I stayed in Lucca last month fo several days, and took buses around, there are two buses companies, none of them goes to S.G. Some travel book said bus runs from Lucca to Siena,it is not ture either.

Mar 18th, 2001, 03:19 AM
christina

ciao barbara

by car you need from lucca to san gimignano around 3 hours (one way drive) taking first the autostrada and then the superstrada to siena. there's a train connecting lucca with firenze and a sita bus connecting firenze with siena. to reach san gimignano you have to change the bus at poggibonsi. this trip would take you up to 6 hours (depends the schedules of trains and buses). if you stay so "out in the green" you definitively need a car to come around. streets are not like in the states, they are narrow and the asphalt is italian but you are not the first american renting a car and driving around. we allways know who is a tourist renting a car, first the way they drive and second the numberplate. so barbara, rent a car, don't worry and enjoy your holiday!

tanti saluti

christina

p.s. if you need some help you are invited to e-mail me directly.

Mar 19th, 2001, 07:13 AM
ja

In Sept 99, I travelled from Lucca to San Gimignano. Train from Lucca to Pisa, train to Empoli, train to Poggibonsi, bus to San Gimignano. Total travel time was under 3 hours. Average transfer time was under 5 minutes. Very easy even with all the transfers.

Mar 20th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Yvonne

I'm looking for accommodation in Lucca for 3 people - preferrably a small, family-run type place, B&B.. Any recommendations?