Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are there ATMs in CDG Airport, Paris to obtain francs (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-there-atms-in-cdg-airport-paris-to-obtain-francs-39622/)

Liz Mar 9th, 1999 08:12 AM

Are there ATMs in CDG Airport, Paris to obtain francs

I have a Mastercard/Cirrus ATM card and want to exchange about $400 into francs at the CDG airport. Is there an ATM there that can do this and do you remember the terminal?

anne Mar 9th, 1999 11:15 AM

Sorry I don't have more specifics about location, but I can tell you that there are ATM's at CDG - we have had no trouble finding one when we arrive. <BR>

John Mar 9th, 1999 12:43 PM

Liz, there are ATM's at CDG for certain. I use to fly TWA into terminal 2, I believe, and picked up some local cash before leaving the airport. Pull up CDG on the internet and you will find info where the ATM's are located. I would think they will be in whatever terminal you fly into. <BR> <BR>I would question why you want to get $400 in francs? I don't think you really need that much cash on you. Your credit card is good at the hotel, almost all restaurants and for most other things. I usually carry less than $100 on me for small items ... drinks, small snack, newspaper or map, etc. There are ATMs all over Paris. You can get cash whenever you want.

Liz Mar 9th, 1999 01:05 PM

Thanks for the replies. It put my mind at ease knowing that there are ATMs at the airport. Also, I will probably only change about $100; your advice about credit cards is quite helpful/

RJD Mar 10th, 1999 05:55 AM

Be careful. Not all ATM's will accept your card. I had no trouble withdrawing cash at many ATMs last year in Paris, but I could not get one in the Gare du Nord to work and had to stand on a long line to get cash from a bureau de change. If you can, bring two cards that operate on different systems- Cirrus, Plus, etc., as insurance.

prjones Mar 11th, 1999 07:16 PM

Just a note about ATM's. If you use a credit card to get cash, believe that is considered a cash advance and you will pay a hefty interest rate. You need an ATM card from your bank to get cash from your bank account. Most ATM cards have a Visa or other logo as sponsor of the card, but it is a debit or ATM card that requires your PIN number at the ATM machine. Be sure your card hasn't expired or isn't about to, or if it has just recently been issued, that you have called to activate it. Had an experience in London with this. My ATM card wasn't activated and wouldn't work. Couldn't figure out what was wrong. Tried husband's card which was activated and voila, cash. What a hassle until we figured it out. Some banks require each card be separately activated if they have issued 2.

Joel Mar 12th, 1999 02:05 AM

I travel regularly to France on business. Years ago I stopped carrying any more cash than what I carry in my pocket right now in the States. The reason is that France is very big on the use of street-side ATMs. They're everywhere, it seems. <BR>Unlike a few other respondents, I have never had any of my Visa or Mastercards refused (I'm a profligate switcher of accts to get the best rate so I've used a number of different banks' cards). Certainly, during the period I lived in France, the card I had from my French bank, Credit Lyonnais, was a debit card, but that was the only time any card I owned was ever treated as a debit card. <BR>At the airport, you practically speaking need about 200FF to pay off your cab fare. Hopefully, you aren't staying at one of the airport hotels, but have booked a charming hotel in town, and most of these will run about 200FF for transport and luggage by taxi. Note that any bag that goes into the cab's trunk costs you about 10FF so I carry my briefcase with me. If I can help further just email me direct. Bon voyage!