Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there are restrictions on taking a 16 yr old into licensed premises/drinking alcohol

Search

Are there are restrictions on taking a 16 yr old into licensed premises/drinking alcohol

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am writing this from Australia, where there are some restrictions on where a person under 18 years of age can go in licensed premises, and they are certainly not allowed to be served alcohol. It is not that I intend to let my daughter drink alcohol on our holiday to Italy, but are there any restrictions about where she will be able to go / eat / sit etc. in regard to restaurants / hotels. She will be in my company, but I do not want to make a mistake and offend anyone or break any laws. Have not seen any mention of this in any of the guide books. Advice appreciated.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:15 PM

When we were in Europe (Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, AND Italy, there was not a single incidence of my 15-soon-to-be-16 year old daughter being denied access or even carded for that matter.

In every instance in Italy, wine was dispensed to everyone at the table, including my daughter, no questions asked.

It was her first experience with alcohol and it was a blast. Never had more than 2 glasses with the biggerst dinner but you could certainly tell it was "working" on her.

You should have no problem at all.

MvK
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:10 AM

The law is different country to country. Where are you going?
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:24 AM

In France, children of any age can go into a drinking establishment if they are accompanied by adults (persons 18 or older) with parental authority.

They cannot drink if they are under 16. If they are 16 or 16, they can drink light alcoholic drinks (cider, for example), and they can go into establishments that sell only these drinks without adults accompanying them. Once they are 18, they can drink anything, and they don't need to be accompanied.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:32 AM

As stated above, the law varies from country to country, but I doubt you would have any problem in Italy, where wine is considered a normal part of a family meal. Infact, the legal minimum drinking age in Italy is 16, so your daughter would even be able to buy alcoholic drinks on her own.

Just out of curiousity I did a Google search, and found a chart which may be of interest: http://tinyurl.com/ec2b6.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:36 AM

Here's an article which lists the various legal drinking ages for European and other countries:

http://tinyurl.com/ec2b6
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Hey, Dukey, great minds think alike!