Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there any hotels in the 5th/6th arr. with family rooms or a suite, etc. to fit a family of three?

Are there any hotels in the 5th/6th arr. with family rooms or a suite, etc. to fit a family of three?

Dec 1st, 2002, 02:49 PM
Noreen

I have checked out Hotel de Fleurie based on great comments here and in books. It has family rooms which are two separate rooms that connect. But we want to go in summer and they quoted me a rate of 312 euro per night-summer months are not this hotel's low season. I find that to be very expensive especially since it doesn't even include any breakfast.

Any other recommendations? Would not mind a suite if it's large enough for all of us. I noticed Hotel Le Madison has large rooms; does anyone know if this would be a good choice?

Dec 1st, 2002, 03:23 PM
Maybe

Check into the Citadines aparthotels.

Dec 1st, 2002, 03:31 PM
Ira

Hi Noreen,

Try the Hotel Bonaparte at 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th.
Tél. : 01 43 26 97 37
Fax : 01 46 33 57 67

I believe that they have a triple.

This is where my wife and I always stay.

Dec 1st, 2002, 03:34 PM
Noreen

Hi Ira, thanks for the suggestion. I don't see any website for Hotel Bonaparte so can you please describe how the hotel is like? Are the rooms considered "charming" or basic, spacious, etc? What about the baths? If you can provide some descriptions that would be helpful. Thanks, Noreen.

Dec 1st, 2002, 04:01 PM
Christina

If that is 312 euro for both rooms, that is not unusually expensive, because that's a 4-star hotel with AC in one of the most expensive hotel areas of Paris.

Dec 1st, 2002, 04:21 PM
Ira

Hi Noreen,
The Bonaparte doesn't have a website, nor does it advertise because it operates on word-of-mouth. We first found it in "Europe on Five Dollars a Day"

The rooms are larger than "charming" but smaller than "spacious". The ensuite baths are up to American standards. On our last visit, 2000, the bidet had been removed.

Breakfast (croissants, toast, coffee, chocolate or tea, jams and jellies) is brought to the room.

There is the usual hair dryer, minibar and safe. (I hide the valuables in the minibar.)and AC has been installed.

The hotel is within walking distance of the Boul St Germaine, Boul St Michelle, Jardin Luxembourg, St Sulpice, Eglise St Germaine, Deux Magots, etc, etc, etc.

Rates were 105E for a double.

As I said, I *think* they have a triple.

I wouldn't be sharing this information except that the hotel showed up on Fodor's best of Paris listing. (See Rants and Raves)

The neigborhood has gone down somewhat since we were there for our first visit: the charcuterie has been replaced by Yves St Laurent, the tabac around the corner is now Gucci, Armani has moved into the neighborhood, and there are all sorts of Euro-Yuppie places. We still go back for old times sake.

Noreen ([email protected])
Date: 12/01/2002, 06:34 pm
Message: Hi Ira, thanks for the suggestion. I don't see any website for Hotel Bonaparte so can you please describe how the hotel is like? Are the rooms considered "charming" or basic, spacious, etc? What about the baths? If you can provide some descriptions that would be helpful. Thanks, Noreen.

Dec 1st, 2002, 05:01 PM
Noreen

Hi again Ira, thanks for the detailed description. I think you'll need to get a new hiding place for your valuables now.

Dec 1st, 2002, 05:05 PM
Ira

Hi Noreen,

>I think you'll need to get a new hiding place for your valuables now.<

No. The minibar has a lock that is much stonger than the safe.

Dec 1st, 2002, 05:24 PM
xxx

For 105 euro, you can do MUCH better than the Bonaparte, stark and rather tacky, cheaply furnished hotel. It is cramped and cheap, but does have a good location.

Dec 1st, 2002, 05:32 PM
Noreen

My family and I will be willing to spend up to the mid-200's per night if the property is pretty good. The most important things we're looking for are space and a comfortable, modern bathroom, and of course, charm.

Dec 1st, 2002, 05:36 PM
Patrick

Check out Relais St. Germain, where all the rooms are basically junior suites with substantial seating areas and the place oozes charm with its designer decor. Baths are modern and comfortable as well. Pushing towards 300 euro, but includes a nice breakfast for two, which should make up for the slight difference from your budget.

Dec 1st, 2002, 05:54 PM
Ira

Hi Noreen,

For some reason I am being stalked by xxx who has a problem with the Hotel Bonaparte.

It might not be to your liking, but I hope you will not think that I was trying to mislead you.

Dec 1st, 2002, 10:16 PM
Chet

Hi Noreen:
Try Apparthotels Citadines. These are apartment hotels that offer studios for 2 people and one bedrooms for four people. All units have private bath and efficiency kitchens. They are located throughout Paris. We stayed in the "Opera" unit in 1997; very comfortable and cheaper than a hotel.

Reservation info by fax at 01 47 59 04 70; phone 01 41 05 79 79. I imagine they have a website now, but I don't know it.
Good luck, Chet

Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:01 AM
elaine

also try hotel Palais Bourbon, said to be good for families
Less expensive than that I think is the Familia hotel, often recommended here

Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
kavey

I stayed in Hotel Select in Place de la Sorbonne when visiting Paris earlier this year with my neice and husband.

They have a suite which is two level - the double bed area and bathroom is downstairs and the single bed area and toilet is upstairs.

Standard triples haev a double and a single in the same room and one bathroom with bath and toilet.

Can't tell you prices as I got a special.

Kavey

Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:28 AM
Marsha

We stayed at the Hotel Abbatial St. Germain in the 5th arr. and had a very comfortable triple room.