Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there any hotels in Siena with a view of the countryside?

Dec 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a hotel, B&B, or apartment in Siena that actually has a view of the countryside as well as being close to the city center? Is that too much to ask? I would love to be able to sit outside overlooking the countryside while having my breakfast, but then be able to catch a bus to do a day trip to another city in Tuscany.

I have checked out Palazzo Rivizza which has a lovely countryside view, but I wasn't crazy about the rooms. I did like the fact that it had free parking though....
Dec 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Santa Caterina---lovely breakfast room with a view.
Dec 30th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Bob..again we agree on a hotel...the view from the grounds out back is stupendous. Also, the auto access in and out of town is easy. We have stayed twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Breakfast is indeed served buffet style outdoors with the afformenioned view. We once had a unique room there, with the bed in a loft, half story up from the sitting area. Parking. albeit tight, is offered with no charge.
stu
Dec 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Santa Caterina was the hotel I stayed at with grounds and views – I remember sitting out back and it was nice.

Locationwise - I would have preferred to have been inside the walls of Sienna – because I wasn't crazy about the walk into town after a 3 night stay. However, I did not yet have a rental car to worry about parking -- I picked up the rental car on the way out of Sienna. With a car in mind (and free parking), the location would have been very good.
Dec 30th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Check out this. I would probably spring for taxis to the train station, but the cost of the rooms is low enough to make that a minor tack-on to the costs. Plus, the restaurant serves its own dinners and produces its own wine

http://www.agriturismomarciano.it/index_en.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...a_Tuscany.html
Dec 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM

The first time we went to Siena we stayed outside the town and were not happy, even though the accommodations were lovely. It was a pain to have to take a bus or taxi back and forth, even though the ride was short. (We had a car but didn't want to deal with parking.) On our return we made it a point to stay within walking distance of the town center and much preferred that. It's nice to wander the town in the evening.
Dec 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for responding. The Santa Caterina does look lovely. I love the fact that it is right near everything and does look much better than Palazzo Ravizzo. You guys are awesome!

Also, I have discovered the Villa Scacciapensieri. It is not in Siena proper, but the bus stop is right out front. We most likely will have a car, but if we don't want to drive the car into Siena, we can take the bus. (it is not far at all) The views look divine from this resort.

Has anyone stayed at this villa? I think I can get 25% discount if I pre-pay with a non-refundable charge for as low as 120 Euro.
Dec 30th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Villa Scacciapensieri was where we stayed on our first trip. It's very nice. Stay in Siena.
Dec 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM

A few years back we stayed in the Antica Torre. It's an old (truncated) tower with a stone staircase up the middle. We had a room maybe 2/3s of the way up, and when you opened the wooden shutters, you could see over the town wall to the countryside beyond. No balcony but a nice view. The room was small with country-style antique furniture and a crammed-in bath. The hotel is in the historic center not far from the Campo. I see mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, but we really enjoyed staying in real tower from the Middle Ages -- in the medieval center of Siena.
Dec 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM

We stayed at Villa Scacciapensieri on our honeymoon and loved it! Quiet and beautiful with free parking. We had a car and drove all over the countryside, but we relied on the bus to get back and forth to Siena. I don't recall it being a problem and the trip is only about 10 minutes or so.
The hotel restaurant was okay, but we preferred to dine in town.
Dec 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM

My friend and I stayed for a week at the Hotel Athena (Siena). Our room, on the 1st floor, was great - large enough that the two of us were not bumping into each other..However, the most wonderful aspect of this room was the VIEW. When I entered the room for the 1st time and walked over to the window I can't tell you how thrilled I was to be looking out across a Tuscan valley - the view that you dream about having from your window in Italy!
The Hotel is close to the Duomo - Siena is NOT a very large town so if a hotel lists itself in the center that means either at one end or the other end or the middle of the town center. I was studying at the Scuola di Leonardo Da Vinci which is at the opposite end of the town from the hotel and in the early AM when I walked to school it took me about 15 minutes - I got better the longer i was there as the up-hill portion became easier! It's not much of an up-hill but seems so when I was almost running so as not to be late to school. ANYWAY - I'd recommend the Athena and will stay there the next time I'm in Siena..also a terrific breakfast. They have a dining room outside as well but late Sept..was not warm enough for us to dine outside. We did have an excellent dinner on a rainy night in their indoor dining room. BTW - every morning the view was a little changed bc of mist and fog and the sun being in or out. As a photographer, I could not leave for my class each morning without taking - can't tell you how many - photos out the same window and each one is different from the other..and beautiful!
Dec 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM

If the choice is within the walls (Palazzo Ravizza) or outside the walls (Santa Caterina), I'd opt for within the walls.

How much time do you actually plan to spend in the room?
Dec 31st, 2010, 06:38 AM

Jill, you might want to rethink the Palazzo Ravizza. I've stayed twice and thought the rooms were fine. Simple, but clean and comfortable. The public areas are also quite lovely and it's an interesting establishment -- lots of history, winding staircases, a library with a grand piano.

The breakfast is fantastic and there's always the option to have breakfast in the beautiful back yard; I've also had evening drinks and a bite to eat on the back terrace.

You could specifically ask for a room with view over the back (rather than in the front) and when you arrive, ask to see a few different rooms. I tend to do that in Italian hotels because there can be large differences between rooms.
Jan 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM

We also stayed at Palazzo Ravizza, with a lovely view from the back, including the beautiful back yard. Also they were within the walls and they have parking available; which we needed.
Jan 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM

I stayed at Palazzo Ravizza as a single traveler in a double room (paid the double price). I found the view from my room to be extremely lovely especially at sunset and the parking was an added plus.

However, I thought the room was too worn and in need of some "freshening up" for the price! Bathroom was updated and fine. I didn't think the breakfast was anything fantastic by any means... I had much better in other Italian hotels.

Good luck and have a great trip!
Jan 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM

Jill, another vote for the Palazzo Ravissa in dowtown Siena- charming and the views from the rear rooms look like the backdrop to a Renaissance painting. Parking is also a plus.