Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are there any hotels in Florence that can accomodate a family of 5 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-there-any-hotels-in-florence-that-can-accomodate-a-family-of-5-a-501025/)

constancelloyd Feb 3rd, 2005 07:51 PM

Are there any hotels in Florence that can accomodate a family of 5

I'm trying to find a hotel in Florence for one night (July 21, 2005) for two adults and three children (ages 5, 7, 10). I've searched here, tripadvisor, and venere. 5 people in 1 room (under 200 euro)doesn't seem to work in Florence - but with small children, that's what we want.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel, b&b, or pension in Florence (it can be a little out of town as we will have a car with us). We don't need anything fancy, just clean with air conditioning and our own bathroom with a shower or tub. We'll only be there one night and won't be spending much time in the room. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Deloris Feb 3rd, 2005 08:04 PM

Florence is one of the most expensive cities in Europe and the world,
if you want cheap! Please remember 1 year ago it was over 100 degrees at that time of year. Air conditioners are only common in high end hotels. Check the web for hotel sites like Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity and plan to stay in the burbs (with the above info in mind) High temps are not the norm in Europe but very warm and muggy in July is. You did not mention if you are renting a car or using public transportation. Cars are not permitted in much of Florence, so plan to locate as close to the train station and local parking facilities as possible, as you will need other transport (taxis) the closer you get to the heart of the city- and hauling luggage and kids. Good luck

Grasshopper Feb 3rd, 2005 08:10 PM

Hotel Casci has a room for 5. My sister's family stayed there two summers ago and kids are older than yours. www.hotelcasci.com Great location!

Calamari Feb 3rd, 2005 08:53 PM

There is a nice Holiday Inn just 10 min. outside of Florence center in an area called Bagno a Ripoli - very upscale neighborhood. I have met many families who have stayed there and liked it. The hotel has air and a pool! Bus stop is in front and a taxi que is behind the hotel. There is a great little supermarket near by, coffee bars, bakerys and shops where the locals go. Hope this helps.

kfusto Feb 4th, 2005 03:33 AM

I do not agree that air conditioners are only found in high end hotels. I am in Florence 3-4 times a year and have found many reasonable accomodations with A/C.

Check out the Gold Suite at Soggiorno Antica Torre on Piazza dell Signoria. We stayed in the same suite last year and it is huge with a king bed, a double bed and a couch. It is a small B&B very well located and reasonable.

www.florenceby.com is a great resourse for smaller places as well.

MFNYC Feb 4th, 2005 08:37 AM

We stayed in a room for 4 at Hotel CAsci. You should email them and ask what they may have for a family of 5. Hotels general only have a handful of rooms for 4, and in many cases don't mention them on their websites, or on booking sites, so I would imagine accommodations for 5 would be even harder to find.

I would look for some moderately priced hotels, then email them asking what they can do for you. They may be able to fit a rollaway in a quad room.

NatalieM Feb 4th, 2005 08:50 AM

I will be in Florence this spring, so have been researching lodging. You might want to check Villa La Sosta (villalasosta.com) They have a quadruple family room for 160-180 euros that may work. I can't vouch for it since i haven't been yet, but it looks very nice and has positive reviews on trip advisor.

tuscanlifeedit Feb 4th, 2005 01:54 PM

There are a number of newer, or even purpose built, hotels to the west of the center. I mean walking or easy taxi or bus distance. This is Florence proper, and not a suburb or separate town.

Many of these are present on the big booking sites. You might try some of them, or even a TA, if one is willing to work with you.

I wish I had names but I know these places are there, becuase I checked them out. Oh, some also have parking.

4bams Feb 4th, 2005 04:58 PM

we are staying in a quad room for 150 euros in april at residenza il villino, very good reviews, and they are making our museum reservations for us. havent been there yet, but am looking forward to it good luck

italiansully Feb 4th, 2005 06:57 PM

Grand Hotel Minerva has a family suite that was perfect for our family of 6. It has a typical hotel room with 2 beds and bath on the first floor and a staircase with a 2nd loft bedroom and bath on the second floor. It may be in the 200 Euro range.