Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are there any hidden treasures in Rome and Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-there-any-hidden-treasures-in-rome-and-florence-88116/)

Gina Sep 28th, 2000 03:21 AM

Are there any hidden treasures in Rome and Florence?

We love to travel to some popular (Rome and Florence in March) destinations and discover small museums, amazing architecture, unknown gardens, gathering places, great photo spots. I have in mind those unforgetable places you found on your own but the guidebooks won't bother with.

Debbie Sep 28th, 2000 04:25 AM

Gina-One of our favorite finds on our last trip to Florence was the Scientific Museum(just around the corner from the Ufizzi). It was full of all sorts of "goodies"-maps/globes of DeVinci,Galileo's finger perserved in a jar(sounds gross but really kinda neat when you think of the man?),a room devoted to early medicine from the 1500's,etc. It wasn't real big but appealed to our whole family including our teenagers. Check it out! Debbie

Bjorn Alvik Sep 28th, 2000 04:31 AM

Hi, Gina. <BR>I'd wish I could travel with you. Florence and Rome are fantastic. <BR>My Wife and I are Norwegian, and when travelling we stick to Fodor's and the Dorling Kindersley-guides. Of course we have to scroll thru lots of other architectural-, art- and historical stuff too. <BR>What you are after can be difficult to tell,but to my experience internet is a very good source, especially the pages with links to other interesting sites. <BR>For Rome, I hav found the "Travelling with Ed and Julie" most interesting. Have forgotten the address, but its easy found by altavista or askjeeves. <BR>A marvellous site. <BR>ciao - Bjorn <BR>

howard Sep 28th, 2000 04:32 AM

I have one for you in Rome: The Museo Nazionale Romano at Palazzo Massimo alle Terme. Sorry, I don't have the address, but it's near the Termini. This museum is in a beautifully restored palace (i.e., Palazzo Massimo) and contains some wonderful classical wall paintings, mosaics and statuary. The highlight is a room containing frescos from the dining room walls of Livia's palace. The museum is a little gem that we happened upon only because it was raining, we wanted to get inside and there Palazzo Massimo was!

Paige Sep 28th, 2000 04:40 AM

It's twenj.com (traveling with Ed and Julie).

Marija Sep 28th, 2000 05:09 AM

If you want to see strange, go to the Museo La Specola in Florence. Room upon room of stuffed beasts of every type and then numerous wax models of the human body.

rob Sep 29th, 2000 06:30 AM

Hi Gina - <BR> <BR>If you like sculpture, then run to the church of San Francesco a Ripa in a kind of out of the way part of Trastevere. It holds one of Bernini's best sculptures, called the Blessed (Beate) Ludovica Albertoni. Similar to his St. Teresa in Ecstasy in Santa Maria della Vittoria, but more intimate, and it's all yours. <BR> <BR>I also like the string of medieval churches on the Aventine Hill above the river. <BR> <BR>Not exactly undiscovered, but worth a mention - the Turtle Fountain in the Ghetto.

Maira Sep 29th, 2000 07:49 AM

Gina--- Bjorn mentioned two of my favorite guides--Dorling Kindersley books and Ed & Julie (twenj.com). Kindersley is so detailed that he captures a lot of hidden treasures in his writings. I bought DK-Rome (besides Fodors obviously:-))for an upcoming trip and it's quite enjoyable. Ed & Julie tell you HOW to find those hidden treasures. Loved their site.

lola Sep 29th, 2000 08:07 AM

The Medici tombs in Florence are not exactly hidden, but underrated. Don't miss, as a wonderful place to meditate a bit and relax in exquisite beauty surrounded by Michelangelo's sculptures.

gina Sep 29th, 2000 08:20 AM

Hi Gina, from Gina: We thought the catacombs near Rome were pretty interesting. It's worth the busride out there. You can catch a bus at Termini. Enjoy your trip! <BR> <BR>

JB Sep 29th, 2000 10:46 AM

Hi Gina, <BR> <BR>For Rome, I enjoyed the guidebook _City Secrets_ which is compiled and published by the members of the American Academy in Rome. My husband and I found a lot of our favorite places through this book - the main sights are mentioned, but it also has suggestions for activities in more residential neighborhoods (like the Aventine and Testaccio, and the Celio, where we were staying). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR>JB

Don Oct 1st, 2000 07:42 AM

Don't miss the Medicci Chappelle in Florence and the newly renovated Villa Borghese in Rome. Many miss these and they are real highlights!

judy Oct 1st, 2000 01:40 PM

Hi Gina, just got back from Rome and have to agree with Don about Galleria Borghese,,,,it was superb,,,,they just allow a 2 hour limit,,,IMO, it is enough....don't forget the fabulous gardens there,,,also wander around and find lovely little romantic spots(there are many)...also the "Mouth of Truth"""it was a giggle,,,we also were fortunate to be able to see Rome at night by car,,,the Forum was magnificent at night, as were many other sites(Ministry esp.) And the Vatican "cupola" was incredible...have a great time whatever you do...