Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there any areas of Paris to not walk at night??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard Paris is very safe for a big city but every city has bad spots. Just wondering about any less safe areas of Paris.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The deserted areas after dark are the worst, meaning the aristocratic areas of the 7th and 16th arrondissements, where people do not go out at night.

In the 'cheap and sleazy' areas (Saint Michel, Pigalle, Montparnasse), people are out until all hours, ensuring that there are no problems out on the street.

I live in what a lot of people consider to be a slum (metro Marx Dormoy), and I would never worry about going at night no matter what the hour. In fact, I have been out at 2 or 3 in the morning to get Turkish bread or a kebab from the places that stay open until dawn.

In terms of the 'tourist center' there are no places at all to avoid, but you should never leave your 'street smarts' back in the hotel room. Very often when problems arise, it is due to tourists having altercations with other tourists.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM

I agree that there is nothing weirder than walking down deserted dark streets at night even in the nicer areas of the 7th or the 16th. I've never had any problems anywhere in Paris but I prefer to walk on well-lit populated streets late at night, regardless of the city I'm in. The scariest thing I've seen so far was a large rat in the 2nd late at night. It ran across the street and nearly gave me a heart attack. LOL
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

What's the Place d'italie like at night??
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM

There is a shopping mall and a big mega movie theater there so it is very busy at night.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM

I did think of one place that is kind of creepy at night. The park next to Les Halles.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM

I personally wouldn't hang around in or near the Chatelet métro station at night. I can't pinpoint what might be wrong there, but it gives me the creeps. Same with the area right around the Gare du Nord. But generally speaking, I'm often out a lot later by myself in Paris than I ever would be here in Washington, DC.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM

I agree with StCirq about the area around the Chatelet metro. My daughter's purse was snatched there a couple of years ago, and I have witnessed a couple of similar incidents in the area as well.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM

What makes Châtelet a place to be wary about is simply the fact that it is the #1 transportation hub in the city, so it gets more than its share of lowlife. Of course, it also has extremely high police presence, mostly in plain clothes.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM

I was walking around Moulin Rouge around 11pm and I was a little creeped out.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:45 AM

When you go to the red light district, it is rather normal to see sleazy people, so that is no surprise about the Moulin Rouge.
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 02:25 AM

Place d'Italie area is fine at night, lots of people around, plenty of restaurants, cafés and bars open, absolutely nothing to worry about there.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Question for kerouac. We will be staying in the 80's block of Rue Dominique next month in an apt. Anything we should be concerned about? Noted your above comment about the 7th. I have only been to Paris once before and only vaguely remember the area where the apt is. Thanks for your input.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Smacknmo,

Do you mean Rue Saint-Dominique? If so, you are in the 7th. The only comment on the area was that the streets are deserted. The 7th is an upper class neighborhood, with lots of government offices and upscale buildings. The inhabitants go to other parts of town to party on the streets. Think of walking down your own street late at night. Would there be a lot of people out? I think the only thing you would be in danger of in the neighborhood would be boredom. The street itself is a rather busy one, traffic wise.

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:07 PM

BTW, if you want to see the street, type in your address on Rue Saint-Dominque, Paris, France in Google. Click on the small map that comes up, and an aerial view will come up. Click on the "Street View" button, and you can "walk" up and down your street.

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM

sleazy and dangerous are not necessarily the same - areas like Les Halls that may look dicey are i think not dangerous from a physical standpoint

If talking about pickpockets the most busy places (metro stations, etc.) are the worst and often in the daytime. I once conducted group tours to Paris and on one trip, despite warnings, over half the group were pickpocketed in Paris. Now that was a bit ago and i think pickpockets do not operate as brazenly as the once did but there still are many. Be especially vigilant going thru metro turnstiles where someone may be right behind you. Leaving a wallet in a rear pocket is like saying "Take me"
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
you'd think by many years of hearing men's wallets getting stolen they would know better, yet, they still stupidly do it.
The flea markets as well as the metro is where to be alert.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't worry about Place d'Italie.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Rue Saint Dominique is one of the livelier streets of the 7th.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM

Thanks for all the input. Will have my daughter in law who is expecting with me so just want to make sure she and the "little one" is as safe as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -