Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are there a lot of foreigners in London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-there-a-lot-of-foreigners-in-london-176515/)

MarcyJo Aug 16th, 2001 01:52 PM

Are there a lot of foreigners in London?

My hubby and I are thinking about taking a trip to London. We have never been there before. Someone told us that there were a lot of foreigners there. We didn't like New York City because of that. The cabs and service people were horrible. You couldn't understand them. Are there a lot of foreigners in London or will we be dealing with real English people?

ohboy Aug 16th, 2001 01:54 PM

I can't wait to hear the replies to this.

NYNY Aug 16th, 2001 01:58 PM

Oh, come on, you can do better than that. Go back to troll school.

xx Aug 16th, 2001 01:59 PM

Resurrected old troll post. I’ll try to find the original; but it may have been pulled by Fodors due to racist posts. But C- for originality, MarcyJo.

Santa Chiara Aug 16th, 2001 01:59 PM

Oh, please, please, please be a poor troll attempt, although walking home from work today, I was thinking how tired I was of all the immigrants and other foreigners.

Ben Haines Aug 16th, 2001 01:59 PM

<BR>I expect this is a troll, but in any case am glad to say that London is full of <BR>people of various colours, with various accents and family histories. They are often cabbies and service people, and they do a good job. I'm what you'd call real English person, and if we met you wouldn't find much that we have in common. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can explain further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

s.fowler Aug 16th, 2001 02:04 PM

Yes London is full of foreigners -- it's a foreign country :)

foreigner Aug 16th, 2001 02:11 PM

Hey! I'm not a foreigner! I live here. The USA is full of foreigners!

j Aug 16th, 2001 02:22 PM

If you are going to Troll - be more creative and at least sound legitimate. Pitiful

Book Chick Aug 16th, 2001 02:29 PM

Ben Haines, <BR>A hearty & sincere "bravo", sir!!!!! I hope if I am ever lucky enough to make your acquaintance, we discover we do have something in common! <BR>Best Wishes, <BR>BC

JOdy Aug 16th, 2001 03:06 PM

Ben, <BR>Stand up and take a bow!!! You were only wrong on 1 point, the taxi drivers and service people are not good they are GREAT . <BR>And MarcyJo , most of the foreigners there are American, too bad! <BR> <BR>Ben , we've missed you where have you been?

mimi taylor Aug 16th, 2001 03:52 PM

Gee, MarcyJo, you should stay home, you might get involved with a handsome Indian waiter as I once did.

Linda Aug 16th, 2001 04:05 PM

Ben, if they gave awards for wonderful answers yours would be this week's nominee. And you're right--I too feel you would have little in common with MarcyJo.

Jayelle Aug 16th, 2001 05:24 PM

Yet another thoughtful, intelligent, and eloquent post from Ben Haines. If you haven't read his posts on going to Brixton, they are truly worth searching for.

nana Aug 16th, 2001 05:26 PM

You sound like you would be the only strange(foreigner) there.

holly Aug 16th, 2001 07:22 PM

MarcyJo - <BR> <BR>Are you the least bit aware that you yourself would be a foreigner in London - and in any country other than your home country that you visit?

kingarthur Aug 16th, 2001 07:23 PM

MarcyJo, <BR>There are no real English according to some historians. The indigenous inhabitants of what is now England (who knows what it was called then?)were all wiped out by the Saxons, Angles and Jutes prior to the 9th century. Everyone in England, including you, is a foreigner. Since Great Britain granted independence to its colonies in the 1960s you'll find citizens and their dependents from these colonies now living in England: Aden, Anguilla, Antiqua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Basutoland, Bechuanaland, Bermuda, British Guiana, British Honduras, British Indian Ocean Territories, British Virgin Islands, Burma, Canada, Cape Colony, Central African Federation, Ceylon, Cyprus, Dominica, Falklands, Fiji, Gambia, Gibraltar, Gold Coast, Grenada, Hong Kong, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Leeward Islands, Malaya, Mauritius, Montserrat, New Zealand, Nigeria, Nyasaland, Pakistan, Pitcairn, Rhodesia, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, St. Helena, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanganyika, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Tristan da Cunha, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uganda, Vanuatu and Zanzibar plus the descendents of Angles, Jutes and Saxons. <BR> <BR>On top of all that you'll be faced with foreigners intimately every day - you, yourselves, a thought I find particularly distressing. <BR> <BR>The only true Englishman left is me and I never existed. <BR> <BR>Have you considered two weeks in the Antarctic? You'll have no problems with foreigners there. Do pack light.

Sandy B Aug 17th, 2001 12:54 AM

MarcyJo, I cannot understand you, due to your heavy troll accent!!!

mikey Aug 17th, 2001 06:17 AM

Are there a lot of foreigners in London? <BR>Yes lot's of fat americans wearing white sneakers and shorts!!!!!

im Aug 17th, 2001 11:45 AM

Mikey, <BR>LOL!!! That just about sums up most of the questions on this board!!!!