Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are their locally based chain restaurants in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-their-locally-based-chain-restaurants-in-europe-743377/)

travelguru1 Oct 17th, 2007 10:52 AM

Are their locally based chain restaurants in Europe?

In America the chain restaurant is king. Most of us like to go to a variety of chains when we eat out. Some are good, some uneven, some just terrible. But most chains are very popular and growing. How about Europe? Are there any restaurant chains based and own by local people that have multiple locations, national identity and mass marketing?

nytraveler Oct 17th, 2007 10:59 AM

Well - I disagree that most of us like to go to chain restaurants when we eat. (Many people do because they're cheap or the only things available - that doesn't mean they wouldn't like other choices.)

I don't like them. My friends and family don't like them.

The food is often awful - and mediocre at best. That's not how I want to spend my limited calories

And yes - there are some european chains - which also often have awful food - for the same reasons chains here do - it's cheaper to mass produce and freeze everything and then send it to be micronuked that buy fresh and cook well using quality ingredients. They tend to be more popular in countries that place less value on good food.

sheila Oct 17th, 2007 10:59 AM

Their (sic) are. Mostly they're awful

flanneruk Oct 17th, 2007 11:00 AM

Flunch, Wagamama, Nordsee, Harry Ramsden, Movenpick, Autogrill Pavesi..

Loads of them. All over the place. But what's the point of looking for them when there are real restaurants next door?

PalenQ Oct 17th, 2007 11:00 AM

Yes -

FLUNCH in France

Buffalo Grill in France

but not like here

lauraallais Oct 17th, 2007 11:01 AM

I remember Pizza Express being popular in London a few years back. The name makes it sound like a delivery place, but it's actually a sit-down restaurant. Not sure if I'd go now as a traveler (I prefer one of a kind places with good reviews now), but it was great for college students (I was on a semester abroad). www.pizzaexpress.com

Also, Wagamama was popular. An Asian noodle place. www.wagamama.com

But I try to avoid chains here at home, so I wouldn't go scouting out for them in Europe. I would prefer a family-run place that is popular with local residents.

nanabee Oct 17th, 2007 11:06 AM

why bother to leave home, we have it all here! love burger king, taco bell, macd, pizza hut.
French cuisine....fine dining, slow cooking, organic, in season, from local farms, wine from local vinards, meeting local citizens over food, YUCK!! why would anyone want to do such a thing??

travelguru1 Oct 17th, 2007 11:09 AM

I believe that here in America we have an incredible selection of eating establishments that are far more varied than anyplace else in the world. Sure there are some bad places to eat but here in NYC there is an incredible selection of American and ethic food at a reasonable cost that can not be beat anywhere.

Linda431 Oct 17th, 2007 11:10 AM

And don't forget those nasty truffle things they dig up out of the ground....YUK! Give me a good old fashioned Whopper with fries any day.

;-)

altamiro Oct 17th, 2007 11:12 AM

You obviously didn't go out much when you were in Paris or London.

Ackislander Oct 17th, 2007 11:13 AM

I don't think that the OP was looking to actually eat at chains in Europe, only asking if there are such.

superheterodyne Oct 17th, 2007 11:15 AM

More than a few restaurants in Paris now serve standardized frozen meals, heated on the go. Yet they look like old-style bistro fare ...

suze Oct 17th, 2007 11:15 AM

Then, yes there are, is the answer.

kerouac Oct 17th, 2007 11:17 AM

France:
Buffalo Grill is the largest sit down chain restaurant in France (only surpassed by the fast food chains McDonald's and Quick).
Taverne du Maître Kanter
Léon de Bruxelles
Flo
Chez Clément
Bistro Romain (Flo group)
Hippopotamus (Flo group)
La Criée
Pizza del Arte

And of course the atrocious sandwich chains... Paul, Brioché Dorée, Pomme de Pain, etc....

janisj Oct 17th, 2007 11:20 AM

Ackislander - you need to read his other thread about hating the people/food in Europe. Will probably give you a whole other perspective on what he is looking for . . . . . .

TexasAggie Oct 17th, 2007 11:22 AM

I suppose I've never looked for European-owned chain restaurants in Europe, although I have seen fast food chains such as McD's, KFC, and Pizza Hut. I wouldn't ever choose to eat a chain restaurant here in the US (and I am about as far from a "foodie" as you'll find!), so I've never looked for them on vacation.

Zeus Oct 17th, 2007 11:24 AM

This thread was destined to draw the snobs out of their lairs. How incredible that the Unwashed Masses actually consider it "dining" when they visit anything other than a Michelin 4 Star!!!!!

janisj Oct 17th, 2007 11:26 AM

not snobs at all - I just don't eat at many chain restaurants. Small (and usually inexpensive) local places usually have fresher food and fewer "formula" menus.

I don't think anyone mentioned michelin until you brought it up . . . . .

TexasAggie Oct 17th, 2007 11:34 AM

We always pick small, family-owned local restaurants as well when we dine out... a far cry from a Michelin restaurant. Not that I wouldn't like to try one at some point in the future!

quokka Oct 17th, 2007 01:04 PM

Infortunately there are chain restaurants in Europe, too, but luckily quite a number of locally owned individual restaurants have survived. I'd always prefer the latter.