Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are the walks in the Rick Steeves Paris good or do you suggest any others?

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

I bought the Rick Steeves Paris because I like the layout and the Paris Walks section seemed good.

Has anyone here done these walks? If so, did you enjoy them? Would you recommend any others?

thank you
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi P,

You might want to check Degasís Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34712768

Also see Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34519236

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...=2&tid=1277898

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM

They are probably as good as any other guide-book walk.
We printed off the one he put on the website for the Rheinfels castle ruins, and it was just right.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Good stuff...thanks
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone here done the Rick Steeves who can compare?
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:04 PM

We sort of ambled through his 'Historic Paris' walk the first day we got there. It was in our neighborhood. (Husband and I had seen all the stuff before - but it was new for our kids.) The problem is that you can't very well read the book as you go along. So try to update your traveling companions ahead of time on what they might see.

Overall, the Steves' walks are useful for figuring out an itinerary, and what things are close together. Just don't feel compelled to stay on the walk. Take detours for whatever looks interesting!!!

I really liked Degas's walks. They were posted after our trip though.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM

I did a few of Rick Steves' Paris walks when I went there and found them quite good - especially for a first-timer as I was.

I also used several of his museum tours since my time was very limited and I didn't want to spend all of it in the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay, as much as I loved them.

I have been fortunate to find this forum before leaving for Rome and Florence so I will use the many walks I found here along with Rick Steves for this trip.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:20 PM

photobear, at least by giving you our comments even if they don't exactly relate to your specific question it keeps your thread alive

for what it is worth, I used Rick Steves two hour tour of the Louve on our first trip and it was right on. Recently on a trip to Rome, Naples and Pompeii we used his suggestions and walks and felt they were very well done, easy to follow and cut to the chase. I would expect his Paris Walks to be similar.

I have several books on Walking Paris and they tend to be rather wordy, not as easy to follow as Rick Steves. They are helpful when they give you summaries like best time of day to do the walk, places to stop for refreshments, important things . Deborah
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Deborah...I actually found everything listed to be very useful. I loved ready about the walks that Degas had listed. Quite helpful. I was just wondering if anyone had compared the 2 and if they had a favorite.

thanks everyone for all the info given. It makes me feel better about my choices for our first trip to Paris.

Samantha
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM

I did Rick's Marais walk and it was very easy to follow and very helpful.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM

I have not taken any of of Rick Steves' walks. I have, however, had the pleasure of doing one of Degas's. Rick only wishes he had the sensibility and taste of Degas. My opinion.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Cool...I will try to put them side by side and maybe we can combine the 2 or pick a favorite...Thanks guys
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM

I find that the simple directions in the walks in Paris Made Easy by Andy Herbach are very easy to follow and you don't have to have your head in a book the whole time. It's pocket size so that helps also.
Good Marais walk and Left Bank Walk.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:15 PM

Ira,
Thanks so much for the link to Degas' walks! WOW!!! Can't wait to try them!
And thank you, Degas!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:36 PM

I'm coming a little late to the party but I like the Daytrip books by Earl Steinbicker. I use his France book which I bought in 2000. It has 6 walking tours of Paris of the 48 in the book.

I also use his London book from 1995 which has 50 daytrips, 10 of which are walking tours in London.

You can find more info and a complete list of the series at:

http://www.daytripsbooks.com/
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:46 PM

If I were to do a " Walk"...it would be by Degas .
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:50 PM

I am very surprised that no one mentioned Michelin Green Guide. I enjoy them because they give a lot of history, excellent descriptions of what you are seeing, they rate each attraction by importance, they contain lots of maps & illustrations, they give time estimates for walks, and the books are compact. I can easily fit my Michelin guide in the outside mesh pocket of my daypack.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:04 PM

I have found his walking tours of Versailles and the Vatican very helpful when you are on a path that just takes you to the next spot and explains what it is -- and you're not left looking for a street, or something harder to find than the altar at St. Peters. His explanations are a bit simplistic, but for those of us who never took Art History in college, it's a godsend.

Jules
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Another option is the deck of boxed cards called City Walks: Paris published by Chronicle Books.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:57 PM

We spent one week in Paris last Spring. I took Rick Steve's book with me, and it came in most handy for Versailles Castle and the Louvre tour. The tour guides all spoke in French only. I was our "group guide".
Carmen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO