Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are the TER and Corail Italian trains late a lot? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-the-ter-and-corail-italian-trains-late-a-lot-835183/)

JillDavis Apr 11th, 2010 10:18 AM

Are the TER and Corail Italian trains late a lot?

Just wondering your thoughts on the ter and corail italian trains? Are they late a lot? I am taking a train from Cannes to Venice. This is a very long train ride and one of the transfers I only have 15 minutes to change trains. I cannot be late to my destination, so I was wondering what people thought about these trains??

Thanks so much!

JillDavis Apr 11th, 2010 10:21 AM

Sorry about the post. I don't know why my post is showing up like this!! It's so weird.....after I post it, certain letters change to capital?? Oh well.

Oh, I need to change it to Corail trains.....

GeoffHamer Apr 11th, 2010 12:35 PM

I assume the connections are at Ventimiglia and Milano. Trains from Cannes to Ventimiglia are generally every half hour so, if you're worried about the connection, leave Cannes half an hour earlier. Similarly, trains from Milano to Venezia are generally hourly; if you're worried about a connection at Milano, allow a margin of at least an hour there.

StCirq Apr 11th, 2010 12:42 PM

No, they're rarely late, except that yes, occasionally they are, and yours could be. And 15 minutes is a fairly generous amount of time for switching trains in Europe. I've often had 6-10 minutes for changes. You do have to hustle.

HappyTrvlr Apr 11th, 2010 12:53 PM

Have you considered flying from Nice to Venice? Check out your date fir a ine way ticket on kayak.com

ira Apr 11th, 2010 12:57 PM

Also check www.whichbudget.com and www.mobissimo.com

suec1 Apr 11th, 2010 12:59 PM

I'd be inclined to leave earlier if you MUST be there by a certain time - Italian trains can run late.

JillDavis Apr 11th, 2010 01:35 PM

1) Cannes to Venice by train: 8:41 - 5:40 pm. Arrive at hotel probably around 6:15 pm. Actual "sitting" time on train is 7 hours.

2) Plane from Nice to Venice. Arrive in Venice at our hotel by 3:30 therefore arriving at our hotel almost 3 hours earlier. Is it worth it to spend $125 more dollars to arrive at our hotel 3 hours early? I don't think it is the money that is the issue, but rather the annoyance of how long it takes. 7 hours sitting on a train seems like a LONG time, however those 7 hours are broken up into 3 train transfers. So, the longest time we are actually on one train is 3 hours 52 minutes. Are the train rides enjoyable with amazing scenary?

Another thing to consider is the plane is a turbo prop?? Scary....however, the plane ride is only 1 hour and 1/2! (keep in mind that even with the short plane ride, we only get into our hotel 3 hours earlier than train)

Ugh!! I don't know what to do.....

JillDavis Apr 11th, 2010 01:36 PM

The airline that I found is Flybaboo for 101 Euros.....

HappyTrvlr Apr 11th, 2010 02:01 PM

Friends of ours flew on that airline last year into Nice and said it was fine.
Another question. the thing I don't like about trains is getting my luggage( we always carry-on 22" bags) on and off the trains. If you are taking more than that, it can be a hassle, especially in a rush.