Are the Czech crown jewels on display?

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 02:15 PM
MED

Are the Czech crown jewels on display?

Two people I know who were in the Czech Republic the same time I was (March 1995) swear they saw the crown jewels on display in Golden Lane. I think they may have seen replicas but they say no because there was an alarm system, etc. However, I don't see this as proof of their authenticity.

All the books I've read say they are not on display. I'm leaving for Prague on Saturday and was wondering if anyone knows if they are in fact on public display or not. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 07:55 PM
topper

to the top

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 07:45 AM
toppity

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 10:41 AM
cherie

Cannot describe the crown jewels but if you're into gems...Go see the jewels at the Loreto. Giant daimond-studded monstrances, etc. Fabulous.

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 01:50 PM
Christina

Those were a replica; there is a copy of the crown jewels in a building called Lobkovic Palace across from the Toy Museum on the lane leading away from Hradcany Castle; I don't think it's Golden Lane, it's the lane one over (Golden Lane is full of small private souvenir and handicraft shops,I believe). The real ones are kept locked up in the castle complex somewhere (the Coronation Chamber has some of them). There are a few coronation jewels (a crown and sword, not much) on display in St Wenceslas chapel within St Vitus Cathedral in the castle complex, however. Definitely see that, anyway, there are jewels in the walls, etc, it's great.