Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are the AF lost luggage nightmares true? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-the-af-lost-luggage-nightmares-true-86861/)

Mark Sep 18th, 2000 06:11 PM

Are the AF lost luggage nightmares true?

I'll be flying the AF/Delta code share from ATL to Vienna via CDG in a few months with my wife and 15 month old. We have 4 hours between flights. 2 questions -- 1)Are all these stories about lost luggage at CDG true? We're only staying 2 days in Vienna before moving on so it could be a real headache and 2)Is there enough time to check in and visit Paris for an hour or two?

Kim Sep 19th, 2000 04:50 AM

Mark, <BR> <BR>I have flown Air France (called Air Chance by some) and have not had a problem with lost luggage, although I have read on this forum and others that many people have had problems with luggage. As for having time to see Paris, you really don't-- sorry. CDG is about 10-20 miles north of Paris and to get to Paris you can take either an RER train (commuter rail) or the Air France bus (it will take you to either Porte Maillot or Charles de Gaulle- Etoile aka L'Arc de Triomphe), but either of those options take about 45 minutes each way, 1 1/2 hours round trip without seeing anything. The only thing you may be able to do is to hire a cab and have him give you a quickie tour of Paris and have him return you to the airport. However, I don't really recommend this because you really can't see or experience Paris in an hour and the cab ride would be very expensive. Have a good trip. <BR> <BR>Kim

Julie Sep 19th, 2000 08:27 AM

Don't check you bags if you have anything that you really need in them because you won't see them for weeks after they are put onto an AF plane.

michele Sep 19th, 2000 09:42 AM

Mark, <BR> <BR>I concur with the other posters. Not enough time for Paris and don't check your bags if you don't have to. If that's impossible, take what you need and check the rest. My bags were left in Paris for three days (Damascus-Paris-LA) thanks to Air France. I didn't really mind because I was on my way home and my bags contained laundry, but if it had been the other way around, I would have been annoyed. Anyway, it's a good idea to take your necessities with you regardless of the airline.

Bets Sep 19th, 2000 09:57 AM

Just to show you how anecdotal this sort of information is, I feel I have to pipe up in defense of Air France. We flew Air France to Lisbon this summer (changing at CDG) with not a hitch in the flights and all bags present and accounted for at both ends of the journey. I suppose you're more likely to hear from people who've had problems, since those are the sort of experiences we tend to feel more passionate about (for example, let's take a poll of all of us who've written letters complimenting businesses, restaurants, or airlines for jobs well done--I have, for one). If it makes you feel any better about checking your luggage--which I expect you'll want to do when travelling with a toddler--I did hear that AF has really suped up its baggage handling operations at CDG, possibly to the detriment of other airlines (since AF has so much influence at CDG, their baggage is getting priority). Mind you, I don't remember where I heard/read that....Here?!

Donna Sep 19th, 2000 08:42 PM

We've flown Air France. Just once, a very small black bag I checked coming home did not show up on the carousel in Boston. The desk person actually went onto the plane to look for it, thinking because it was small and black it may have just been missed - to no avail. However, it was delivered to my home (40 miles away) first thing the next morning. If you are really concerned, be sure to bring along a printed copy of your itinerary (including hotels and phone numbers where you can be reached) and carry on enough to get you through one day if necessary without your bags. I would not recommend leaving the airport and going to Paris (particularly with a 15 month old) with just a four hour layover. It could be done, but you wouldn't have much time in Paris, and it's a bit risky.

Sjoerd Sep 19th, 2000 09:49 PM

For what it is worth: I had a very tight connection at CDG recently and AF did a great job of getting me and my luggage on the next flight. There was a special minibus waiting for me, a ground staff lady was there to help me speed through immigration, and I just made my 35 minute connection. Even my luggage made the connection! <BR>