Are Spain hotel reservations honored?

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Spain hotel reservations honored?

Hi All,

I've just reserved a hotel in Madrid and Barcelona for my trip in May. As requested, I gave them my credit card info. I've now read several posts that people show up at their reserved hotels and lo and behold, they have no room for them. Are there any suggestions regarding this? What have people done who this has happened to?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:33 AM
ira

Hi J,

There are always horror stories.

Do you have a written confirmation from the hotel?

If so, the chances of your not having a room are small.

If not, you should.

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM

I agree with Ira AND when you get that written confirmation take a copy with youin case you need to present it at check-in to verify the confirmation.

That does not necessarily guarantee you'll get a room in case they have oversold the accommodation but it makes it a lot harder for them to shrug their shoulders.

Realistically, I, personally, have never been to any hotel in Europe (or anywhere else) from which I had a written confirmation and not had a room waiting.

Perhaps I've been lucky...or could it be that some of those people relating their "horror stroies" aren't telling us ALL of the story?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:41 AM

When we went to Spain we stayed at a large number of hotels, in both large cities and in smaller towns. I brought along all of the email confirmations in the event there might be a problem. However, we experienced no problems whatsoever.

I would say as long as you've confirmed your reservations and have something in writing, you really don't have that much to worry about. Your odds of a reservation gone bad in Spain is the same as anywhere else.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira and Dukey. This sure reassures me. I have my e-mail confirmation for one of the hotels but not yet for the other because I just submitted my information. Sometimes the horror stories get the best of me!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Chele60. All good to know.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM

DON'T let that happen! You have done all you can by getting the written confirmations and taking copies with you.

One other thing you MIGHT do is re-confirm by email a few days or weeks prior to arrival. Some people do this; many more probably don't.

I am certain you'll be fine.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dukey! You've made me feel much better. I will do as you all suggest and take copies of my e-mail confirmations and e-mail the hotels or call them a few days/weeks before to reconfirm. Thanks again!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM

If you are going to be late, give the hotel a call, or let them know in advance of your late arrival time. Small hotels get anxious when people show up late without notice.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Tell it to me, WillTravel I've never had that problem before (nor here in Spain or anywhere else)..but I had it in January in Rome. I called them at midday telling them we will be there after 12 in the night...and they confirmed my booking and told me it was no problem. I arrived in the night ...and there was no room..
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM

OK, Kenderina, so what happened next?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM

They sent me to another hotel from their chain (trevi hotels). It was not very far and was a good hotel but I have a walking disability and I had chosen that hotel very carefully for the exact location (just down a hill) and they sent me to one in the middle of the Quirinale hill....
Just a lot of "Scusi, scusi" was what I received..but what do you say at 1 AM, tired and to a hotel that only has 8 rooms ?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their great advice. By the way, I wasn't trying to negatively single out Spain in any way. It's just that Spain is the first leg of my trip and am currently focusing on booking hotels in Spain. I didn't mean to offend anyone.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM

Believe me, you didn't!

Have a great trip
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM

You didn't , jleal !!! Not at all
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Have been to europe almost 70 times and have never had a hotel walk us.

But - we always have copies of the confirmation in writing. And we have never stayed in very modest hotels in major cities. Althought we have stayed at some modest pensions gashauses in smaller towns.

And we have never stayed at a hotel that is known for this. (There are a couple of very modest hotels in Rome that apparently do this routinely - but if you check tripadvisor.com that info will appear.)
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:57 PM

My hotel was not a very modest one..three stars, 100 euros/night And the few reviews on trip advisor after they changed owners were all very good....
But no, I learnt my lesson, never again on tiny hotels even if they are beautiful
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Sometimes mistakes happen. Last summer I showed up at a hotel in Madrid with my written confirmation for two rooms. The hotel only had a record of one room. It wasn't a problem because there were vacant rooms though.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:31 PM

Yes, these things happen. Mine was not a mistake..I guessed someone show at the hotel without reservation during the afternoon and if they were going to stay longer than I (only two nights) they probably got my room at the rack rate of the hotel (160 euros). My price was an internet booking offer...so it was cheaper. Not a very serious practice, if you ask me...but I was not going to let them ruin my short trip..no way !!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:25 AM

I have stayed in tiny, small, medium and large hotels in Spain withot problems. I always email the hotel telling them that I will be late coming in, even if I am not planning to. The down side is that sometimes the room is not ready when I come in early afternoon.

The only times I have had this happen to me has been in the US. Both times late arrival was involved. It happened two times in Chicago during major convention events. Both times colleague and I had to share a room for a night while the situation was sorted out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -