Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Are reservations advised to visit the Anne Frank house in October?

Are reservations advised to visit the Anne Frank house in October?

Sep 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Are reservations advised to visit the Anne Frank house in October?

We will be in Amsterdam the first week in October. For my itinerary planning should I make a reservation to visit the Anne Frank house or just get to the house when it first opens in the morning? I know during the busy summer days a reservation would save us from a long line to get in but I'm wondering about crowds in early October. We will be staying in the Jordaan area just a short walk from the house. Thanks, Deborah
Sep 9th, 2009, 08:39 AM

get reservations.
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM

reservations could save a short wait in line at that time - i've often visited Amsterdamned in October and often walk by the Anne Frank House and rarely are lines that long then - i suggest you go by and see and if long then make a reservation for another day
Sep 11th, 2009, 10:42 AM

we have our tickets for the end of Sept.
having seen long lines on previous visits to Amsterdam, Im glad we are planning ahead.
Sep 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Have been there twice and the lines are ODD. You just never know. I resisted buying online ahead of time the first time since I knew we'd be traveling off-season and since I didn't want to lock myself into a time. I followed advice of others and came late in the day. LONG LINE. The next day, same time, much shorter line. Again, though, still long. For our second Amsterdam visit, I stopped trying to play Ms Flexible: I just bought online and built our day around it.
Sep 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Deborah -- Hope you don't mind me asking a question here, are reservations advised for the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum?
Sep 11th, 2009, 10:58 AM

I do not think they are possible to my knowledge at those two and except in peak season lines are rarely very long IME - someone correct me if wrong.
Sep 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM

We were required more or less to buy online for Van Gogh this past spring because of the special Van Gogh "Starry Night" exhibit. I'm pretty sure that's over! The trip before, we just bought our tickets the night before for both Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh from the hotel concierge. I can tell you that it's easier to do either museum early in the morning or late to avoid the crowds obscuring all sightlines, but for both of our visits, we were required by our time constraints to do VG at opening and the Rijks immediately afterward. We took a rest at the VG cafe in between.
Sep 11th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Unlike the Paris Museum Pass i believe the National Museum Card, which pays for itself with about three major museum entries, may not avoid a wait in line - but i am not sure - i had one two years ago and it seemed i had to go to the ticket window to get a free ticket after showing my pass. Yet i liked it because i could come and go as i wanted to any museum - i hopped into Van Gogh several times during my few week stay - sometimes just to the cafe for its museum ambience and fine views of the often nasty weather outside its huge windows at the cafe.

Amsterdam.info - Museumkaart, Museum Card Amsterdam and Holland
Museumkaart, Musem Card for Amsterdam and Dutch museums.
www.amsterdam.info/museums/museumkaart/

note it is valid all over Holland so if folks are going to Haarlem or Utrecht, Rotterdam or Den Hague, each with major major art museums strongly consider getting the pass, available at any museum covered. I found out that it was not valid at the Van Gogh Museum in Kroller-Muller Park for some reason though it is at the Amsterdam Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum, Stedelijk Art Museum, Amsterdam City Museum, the Hermitage's new branch in Amsterdam, Jewish Museum, etc. Good for one year. 35 euros - probably 12 euros to get in Rijksmuseum, etc.
Sep 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM

Palenque--That is so wonderful of you to bring that up, especially since they will be in Delft and can hop over to Den Hague. DeborahAnn, our family is STILL talking about our visit to the Mauritshuis museum in Den Hague (just a tram ride away from Delft). You will like it because it has "Girl with a Pearl Earring" but we were totally blown away by almost all the art in the place. Not a huge collection; just a very REFINED collection. So Palenque was so right to stear you this way, especially since you don't need online reservations for your Amsterdam museums.

I don't think you can buy this specific pass online, right, Palenque?? I believe you can buy the IAmsterdam Pass online, but I never bothered with that (Anne Frank isn't covered by the IAmsterdam, so...). I did buy the GVB (? may have that wrong) tram pass both trips as soon as we arrived at Centraal RR station and loved using it.
Sep 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM

i have bought online for van gogh 3 times and very glad i did. no lines to wait in
Sep 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the helpful suggestions

shanghainese, more questions add more helpful information

I hope we both thoroughly enjoy our Amsterdam visit

Deborah
Sep 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM

I don't think you can buy this specific pass online, right, Palenque??>

not sure if you can or not

but can by at VVV (Tourist Office) on track 1 in Centraal Station and VVV opposite it and perhaps GVB (Public Transports) kiosk opposite Central Station - at least i think and at any museum - i've bought mine at the City of Amsterdam Museum right by the Royal Palace because there were no lines there like you could have to wait in at say the Rijksmuseum to buy the pass. The museum pass is such a good deal i would not buy in advance online to avoid lines if doing like the OP seems to - going to many museums all over Holland - savings are immense with the pass and you may go into some museums you may not have. Like recently in Rotterdam i went into several museums that turned out to be really neat that i may not have paid several bucks each to go in. Ditto for Leiden and other towns. And even in Amsterdam such fascinating museums as the Troppen Museum, (showcasing life in the tropics with re-created street scenes, art, etc) and the Dutch Resistance Museum, the Amsterdamned branch of the Hermitage Museum, the Bibles Museum (in an old canal townhouse), the Jewish Museum, etc.
Sep 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM

You can only buy the museum pass at museums which accept it. Anne Frankhuis does not accept it. You can avoid the queues at Van Gogh if you already have one. You can buy tickets for most museums online and bypass the queues. You don't have to specify a time or date unless there is a special exhibition on which requires timed entry. Except again at the Anne Frankhuis.
Sep 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Actually you ca buy the MJK online, but only if you live in the Netherlands. You can download the forms to speed up buying them at a museum. But that is in Dutch.
Sep 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM

DeborahAnn -- Have a fabuous trip too!

Search this Thread