Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are rental cars cheaper the closer you get to your trip??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm travelling to Italy in October and have been looking up car rental prices. I want to know how far in advance should I book does it get cheaper the closer you get? Also plane tickets Mia to Mxp 12th - 25th direct on Alitalia are $840 right now do you think prices will go down? should I wait? or are they likely to go up? Direct is a must for us.

Thank you for responses
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:46 AM

It is likely that car prices will go down. That's one of the things I like best about AutoEurope. You can guarantee a price, but if they go down, you can get the new price without any penalty.

With airline tickets, it's anybody's guess. Wouldn't it be nice if you could do the same thing -- book one fare, and change with no penalty if they went down?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:02 AM

My first question would be where are you looking for the flight choices? Using the usual "three" search engines or also utilizing alternatives such as Itasoftware.com, mobissimo.com, and www.onetravel.com, and www.kayak.com?
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Looking for the airfare on the Alitalia website I check out those other sites though thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:28 PM

My travel agent got a great rental car rate for us in Italy. I believe that it was with Alitalia. We got the car from Hertz at a fraction of the cost it would have been if we booked directly with Hertz.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:47 PM

I agree with Autoeurope recommendations, work with them....they almost always have the best rates and workable if rates go down and will even match and beat any competitor you just show them the quote. For airfare, you can probably do better than $840 for October, in fact much better...probably $600something. Hold off on that till summer but check rates weekly till then, come summer check daily. Alitalia is not the greatest, from Mia look into AA, LH or BA routing. AA just flies into Rome but is married to BA.....BA and LH have flights to various cities, Rome, Milan, Venice, Pisa, Florence, Bologna, Naples, etc.

Have a great trip.