Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are private transfers necessary in Greece (specifically Santorini)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my honeymoon in Greece for the middle of May. Part of the time we will be staying in Santorini. Our hotel in Oia (Perivolas) does not include a private transfer so our travel agent is encouraging us to get a transfer through a tour company. She says the cost will be $140 for the two of us for the two transfers (i.e., to and from the hotel). This seems really expensive given that the island is so small. Couldn't we just find a taxi at the port and then at our hotel when we're leaving? Are private transfers necessary?

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:42 AM

I just booked Perivolas for my honeymoon in september...We booked directly with the hotel and have been told the room price included all taxes, transfers and breakfast...are you dealing directly with the hotel? or is it the travel agency that told you that transfers aren't included? We have been communicating with Majda from Perivolas reservations, who has been very helpful...maybe ask her(i think that's a girls name?) directly: email: [email protected]
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

We we were told that Perivolas does not accept credit cards for reservations so we are booking the room through a tour operator to simplify the process. Apparently, the transfers are not included in the tour operator package. I'm just wondering if the transfers are even necessary. Thanks for the email address information.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 07:18 AM

We paid 17 Euro last fall for taxi from airport to Imerovigli. If there are lots of people needing taxis when a flight gets in, you may have to wait until the taxi takes someone else and returns for you. Or else share a cab, but either way, it is better than paying that ridiculous amount! You can rent a car for a day for less than that!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Perivolas does include RT transfers in their rate. I am wondering what rate you received from you tour company and what type of room they booked you. Then you can get the posted prices and see if it makes sense
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:41 AM

That all seems a lot of fuss for the middle of May, when there are plenty of spare hotel rooms available. Chances are the hotel would be happy to take your booking without a deposit, but I could be wrong. Why not, as others have suggested, contact them directly for an answer?

My experience is that most Greek island hotels have a van to meet you at the port, and I certainly wouldn't pay $140 to get there. In fact, $140 is about what I pay for a week's stay in my room with private bath on Antiparos!