Reload this Page >

Are packaging supplies sold at post offices in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:10 AM
mae

We are traveling to London today and are planning to purchase several hardcover books. I am aware that we can ship the books back to our residence under the printed papers rate, but I do not know whether the Post also sells the packaging supplies (boxes) that will enable us to send the books home by boat rather than carrying them on the plane. Any information on this point would be appreciated.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:15 AM
Lindsey

Not an easy answer, I'm afraid, since some do and some don't! If you let me know in which area you'll be staying, I can find out and let you know.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:29 AM
meg

Most major Post Offices sell items such as 'bubble wrap' and Jiffy bags (padded packing bags). Otherwise there's usually a WH Smith (stationer's) nearby who definitely sell all that sort of thing

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:52 AM
mae

Thank you for the information Lindsey and Meg. Lindsey, we will be staying near Westminster Abbey and I am aware that there are nearby Post offices on Broadway and Victoria Street.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Sue

We used a Mail Boxes in Florence, where they did the whole shebang for us. Of course, they probably only send air, instead of surface.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:13 AM
elaine

mae<BR>Your bookstore may be happy to handle the packing and shipping for you

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:24 AM
xxx3

Even if the bookstore won't ship for you, I promise they have plenty of book-shipping boxes in the back room and will probably give you one!<BR><BR>Are you SURE you want to ship them home? Overland shipping can take forever. <BR><BR>We bought lots of books last summer (spent two nights in Hay-on-Wye!) and just boxed them up with lots of tape and checked the box as a piece of luggage when we flew home.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:09 AM
Patrick Wallace

This may be a bit prosaic, but why not try amazon.co.uk to buy online? They would handle delivery and you may well get a discounted price. It's not the same as browsing in a real bookshop, but I've never had any problems with them.