Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are National Express Funfares only for UK residents?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the US, and I am trying to purchase a funfare from Cardiff to London. I have tried two different credit cards, both of which have been declined (Both are valid and are nowhere near the limit).

What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your assistance.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 01:45 AM

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but with your screen name yourse going to get sworn at a lot (it's very like the board's hate figure's).
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:43 AM

According to their website you can book e-tickets from anywhere in the world, and the does not seem to be a restriction on Funfares.
You must complete your booking within 30 minutes, so maybe you went over that time? They do not accept American Express, but accept any Visa or Mastercards.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Can't begin to imagine why they'd restrict availability - and there's no sign of any such rule. Two other possible explanations:

1. Your understanding of how to enter postcodes might be different from their instructions (or their policy, if they're not explaining it properly) Check if there's an "i" button near the postcode box

2. Between deciding to buy and finishing the formfilling, they sold their last Funfare for the service you booked.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:14 AM

I bought one a couple of weeks ago....£2 for a trip from London Victoria Coach Station to Dover....although those ****charged me a 50% surcharge for using my credit card for the booking making it cost me £3...no problem though and I was even able to print my ticket at home!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:17 AM

although those ****charged me a 50% surcharge for using my credit card for the booking making it cost me £3

They charged you £1....they get charged by the credit card company for you using your card, so if they are only charging you £2, it would seem a tad harsh for them to have to pay the credit card company out of that.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I have tried two different credit cards, both of which have been declined </i>"

Have you asked your credit card company? Could be it was declined because the purchase is out if the country and they stopped it for fraud prevention. (That's also why it is important to contact your bank/cc issuers before leaving the country).

Or -- was it a Discover Card? They are usually not accepted.
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I was surfing Fodors and came across this post of mine from a few months ago. I never replied or thanked people for their input, so I would like to do so now. Thanks to all who responded.

janisj, you were right--my credit card company declined it because the transaction was out of country and they thought it was fraudulent. I always notify my credit card company of my travel dates when I am going to be traveling out of the country, but I have never notified them while still at home making travel arrangements, and never had anything declined before.

Once I explained the situation, the transaction went through.
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for reporting back . . .