Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Itinerary Advice: Travel to South France, Paris and London

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys!

I am in the process of planning my honeymoon. We will be leaving in late July 2012 (around the 23rd or 24th). We have up to about maybe 16 to 18 days, including travel.

We are in our late 20's. Both of us enjoy the beach, pool, pubs, night life, etc. We are not history or museum focused but would like to visit the main attractions of Paris (and maybe London).

Here is the example itinerary:
Fly from NYC to Nice
Stay in Nice for 4 days
travel from Nice to Cannes - Stay in Cannes for 3 days
travel (train or fly) from Cannes to Paris- Stay in Paris for 4 to 5 days
travel (train) from Paris to London- Stay in London for 3 to 4 days
Fly home from London to NY

The London part of the trip is not mandatory but we figure why not go and check out the major attractions there even if its just to get a glimpse of what London is like.

We consider ourselves to have a lot of energy and can get bored easily. We don't mind lounging around for a few days, but too many days in one place will drive us crazy yet we don't want to feel rushed and tired between each leg of our trip. Our budget is around $200- $400 per night depending on the place. I already started researching hotels and have a few in mind (ex. Lee Palais de la Mediterranean in Nice, Hotel Le Cavendish in Cannes) but I am open to any suggestions.

What do you guys think of this itinerary? Neither me or my future husband have been to Europe. We both just want to have a mix of lounge/luxury yet we are practical and will save money where we need to. I have been searching through all of the boards and find this community to be very helpful so I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Also- I had a hard time in narrowing down where to go on this honeymoon. At first , I wanted to do Paris and Rome. But then realized I wanted to experience more of a beach and relaxed vibe (hence the Southern France portion of the trip). The reason for staying in Nice and Cannes is that I figure Nice has more to do but the beaches at Cannes are nicer. I also didn't want to stress myself out and get too complicated.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM

When are the Olympics? There will be lots of test events leading up to the Games, so if you think you really want to go to London, check on it now!

I wouldn't add it but would stick to France as there is so much to see and do. I could stay in Paris for weeks and never be bored. There are also so many great day trips that you can take from Paris to break it up a little. Nothing about Paris is boring and it is romantic!

Enjoy your trip and the planning! Congratulations, as well!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 07:56 PM

Be aware that the beaches at Nice and Cannes are rocky, not the smooth sand of Florida or Hawaii.

I vote for at least a few days in London. It is my favorite city.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys.

Yes, if we go to London, we are def. going to try and get tickets for an event.

I'm doing some more research on what other things we can do in Paris. Any specific day trip suggestions would be great.

Yes, we realized that the beaches are not as smooth.

We are now thinking about going to Rome after we leave Paris. We would spend maybe like 5 days in Rome and fly directly back to NY or into London for a few days. Would that be too much traveling? Seeing as how I really wanted to go to Rome, maybe it is still doable yet I don't want to be unreasonable. Thoughts?
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 06:32 AM

Why don't you go to Rome from the Riviera? Easyjet, for one, flies from Nice to Rome Fiumicino. Then fly back to Paris and take the train to London.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Good suggestion Mimar. Thanks!

Ok , I have revised my itinerary.

Fly out of JFK to Nice on 7/23
stay in NICE from 24th to 28th (4 nights)
Fly out of NICE to Rome
stay in Rome from 7/28 to 8/2 (5 nights)
Fly out of Rome to Paris
stay in Paris from 8/2 to 8/7 (5 nights)
Train from Paris to London
stay in London from 8/7 to 8/10 (3 nights)
Fly home from London to NYC on 8/10
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 01:36 PM

PowPow...what I meant with regard to the Olympics, is can you get a room?

With all the test events prior to the games and the actual Olympics, hotels may be booked up. Of course it would be great to go to an Olympic event, but I am more concerned about you finding a hotel room. Again, I don't know when the Games are, but I would secure hotel space ASAP, if you don't have it.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Why don't you fly to Rome and then to Nice, Paris and London and home from London. That way, no backtracking. But do make sure you can find a hotel in London before making your airline reservations.