Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are French authorities asking for proof of resources and accommodations?

Old Jul 30th, 2021, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving for France on August 3. We are fully vaccinated Americans. I was on the French ministry website, and in addition to requiring proof of vaccination and the sworn statement attesting to absence of Covid symptoms, the website states that all foreign travellers must present (in addition to passport, of course) proof of resources and accommodation. This is supposedly the usual required documents, which we have never been asked to present previously. But I wonder if the government is being more strict because of Covid?

To people who have visited France recently, have you been asked to show proof of resources and accommodations? We can print our bank statement. We are staying with our daughter and her French husband at their home. My daughter will send us an email stating we are staying with them; she will give her address and phone number, and some other proof they live there. (I forget what other document she might have mentioned.) She will scan her husband's French ID. Maybe this is overkill, but I want to be fully prepared.

Thank you!
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 03:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" . . . proof of resources and accommodation. This is supposedly the usual required documents, which we have never been asked to present previously."

That is always the requirement -- but typically only a very small % of travelers are ever asked - it is just an additional tool they have in case they want to challenge someone who looks dodgy or they suspect of over staying.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 04:22 PM

According to gov.uk site which has guidance for UK travellers to France, people staying with friends or family might be asked to show a attestation d’accueil’ (welcome invitation) from their host and this is obtained by the French host from the local Mairie and the attestation should be sent to the traveller so they can enter France with it. You should check if this applies to US travellers.

https://www.demarches.interieur.gouv...tation-accueil you can use google translate if you don't understand enough French.

Documents to be presented upon arrival in France.

Last edited by balthy; Jul 30th, 2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Balthy, I read the link about Documents to be presented upon arrival in France, and I see that I commented at the time in May. I forgot about it until today. To make a long story short, I've been taking care of my 91-year old mother for several months now. She had an emergency hospitalization and then surgery, so I've been overwhelmed and forgot about the thread in May. When I asked my daughter about it today, she didn't know anything about it. We are coming down to the wire. I hope her city hall is open on Monday so she can ask them about this. I hope it's only something the border police can ask for, but rarely do. Or as someone mentioned in the May thread, they would ask if you look "dodgy" or sketchy, which hopefully we don't.

Also will check to see if this applies to US travellers.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 08:05 PM

I too wonder if this is something that is just leveraged by the border police, depending on the situation. They aren't shy about profiling.

This article in The Local doesn't provide clarity, but it does seem to imply a credit card or bank statement with more than 120E per day is sufficient in lieu of a booking or 30E certificate. (This post links to a post from the French Embassy in the UK)

Thanks for the reminder as well -- I will need to grab my latest utility bill or taxe fonciere statement to prove I have a second home there, just in case.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 12:27 AM

The gov.uk site also says that if you cannot provide the attestation, you have to prove that you have sufficient funds which is at least EUR120 per day. A credit card statement showing credit limit is sufficient. There won't be time to send the attestation to you by the 3rd August.The entry requirements are explained quite well here and should think it would apply to US citizens as we are both 3rd countries. There is mention of travel insurance requirement as well.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 12:37 AM

We live in the UK and have a house in France.

We entered France last week with piles of documentation, including car insurance certificates, green card for insurance etc etc.

We were told by our UK insurance company that if we attempted to enter without an insurance certificate, V5, green card and GB sticker then our car would be impounded !!!!

The only documents we were required to provide was the Statement of Honour confirming that we didn't have Covid (piece of toilet paper in terms of value), our NHS vaccine status and our passports which were stamped. No questions as to where we were staying, our resources these issues MAY have been more pressing if entrants to France are not vaccinated and are still required to self isolate. (those were the rules last night)(goodness knows what they are this morning).

In short. many documents and evidence are required but in my 3 trips over the past 4 months many documents which are required have not been requested.

I have to say that after 16 months of trying the travel operators seem to have their act together. Probably beacuse Border Control have placed a legal responsibility on them to ensure travellers have the minimum documentation before they reach the border.

EuroTunnel now require a digital upload of documents prior to travel. The documents are then checked and you are given a green light if they are acceptable. This is far more efficient for check in and gives you some comfort that you have passed check prior to check in.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Jul 31st, 2021 at 12:43 AM.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 12:39 AM

[QUOTE=gooster;17268001]I too wonder if this is something that is just leveraged by the border police, depending on the situation. They aren't shy about profiling.

Yes I agree - if they wanted to create an issue with a traveller I'm sure they could fall back on many areas of documentation.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos View Post
In short. many documents and evidence are required but in my 3 trips over the past 4 months many documents which are required have not been requested.
That's true of all my trips in the past year or so. I print out lots of documents but they are not always checked, even COVID certifcates. But I know the day I travel without a document will be the day they ask for it. And then sometimes I am asked for docs that are not required normally eg receipts for my UK day 2 & 8 tests.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Just talked to my daughter. She has a friend whose Mom is visiting in France right now from the US. The French authorities asked her where she is staying, and she told them with her daughter. They did not ask for any kind of proof. I realize that sometimes it depends on the agent(s) working that day. But that is good to know. My daughter is going to email us a letter. And we will bring bank statements and credit card statement showing our credit limit.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<EuroTunnel now require a digital upload of documents prior to travel. The documents are then checked and you are given a green light if they are acceptable. This is far more efficient for check in and gives you some comfort that you have passed check prior to check in.>

Not the same for Eurostar - a dutch friend caught the Eurostar from Amsterdam to London today and she had equipped herself with a huge variety of documents to answer any conceivable question but all the she was asked was how long she was staying.

Though I deplore the necessity for it, the EU Etias visa waiver planned for next year, and the UK equivalent, should make things easier.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. They just want your passport and CDC card or NEGATIVE COVID-19 test.

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi BritishCaicos: re dining out and entry to museums. Are they accepting the NHS app and/or letter as proof of vaccination?

regards Ger
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 04:08 AM

The French will apply their rules to anyone entering their country, if they decide to. Americans, British, other Europeans anyone. I'm guessing her local Mairie may be able to help, but the only way to find out whether they're open on Monday is to checked their website, or ask her. Some keep shorter hours than others.

The rule has applied for years, but I've never been asked to provide any of those documents, except when opening a bank account, and applying for my Carte de Sejour.(many years ago). I suspect that this rule is a bit like the one about keeping a piece of ID on your person at all times when in France. One doesn't *have to, but it's not something I'd intentionally risk not doing.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 04:13 AM

Caicos, that Statement of Honour has legal standing in France. Not quite the piece of toilet paper you describe it as.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 04:27 AM

yes, I know it has but it is hardly an effective measure to restrict further infection is it.

In that respect, it's toilet paper.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Aug 1st, 2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by OReilly64 View Post
Hi BritishCaicos: re dining out and entry to museums. Are they accepting the NHS app and/or letter as proof of vaccination?

regards Ger
Hi Ger

I don't know as I'm back in the UK and absolutely do not keep track of remote rules until I need to follow them. After 4 months of travelling, my head would be total fuzz if I tried to keep up. I entered with an NHS certificate but last I heard it was possible to scan that to produce a Pass Sanitaire. I'm going to be flippant and say "don't ask me" in fact don't ask anyone on any forum about any rules, only ask of their own previous experience and then put that into the context of the current rules of the Interior Ministries of your country of departure and arrival. The rules change daily, it's really not good. There again , following the current daily rules isn't a great idea as some of the Border staff aren't aware of the daily changes.

Covishield is now not an issue for entry into France, I do know that and currently under 18s have the same vaccine status as their accompanying adults, so don't need tests to enter.

One thing I do know, the majority of the vast French wear masks and not those stupid Tesco sunflower lanyards which say I'm exempt because I'm an ********.

I do also know that UK trace and trace are a pain in the A*** set of numpties reading from a script and knocking on the door when you are in bed after driving 900 miles non stop.

That's my rant of the day out of the way, now back to my prison cell.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Aug 1st, 2021 at 04:40 AM.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:27 AM

It's very effective unless people are belligerent enough to lie about it.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 08:14 AM

I stand corrected, I'll always accept proven scientific evidence.