Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are ferry reservations required for Greek Island routes? Piraeus to Naxos

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just on the site greekislands.gr, looking for ferry schedules, and the booking engine said that reservations are a must, 60 days ahead of time!
I'm leaving in less than two weeks- there are three of us, we don't have any vehicles to transport and will stay in the ferry kitchen if we need to- should I have reserved? I was under the impression that we could just go to the Piraeus port from the airport and go straight to the ticket sales and hop on one.....

any advice?

thanks a million-
sue
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Bootman4U

do you know which shipping line you are going to use? Which islands are you trying to visit...I may be able to hlep..some..if I know this info. Also, just because it said "60 days" doesn't mean you cannot still reserve before you leave. You can e-mail me privately if you'd like; [email protected]

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

From Piraeus to Naxos, in the afternoon on April 30th. We wanted to take a longer -6hr- and cheaper ferry as opposed to one of the highspeeds such as Blue Star.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 04:16 PM

Hi,

I am not an expert, but I do not think you need reservations that early in the season. You might need them if you had a car or if you wanted a room to sleep in. There are a lot of travel angencies around Styntama Sq. in Athens. When we were there in July we went to one and got a ferry ticket and hotel for the next day to go to Myconos. When we were there in April a few years ago we just bought a ferry ticket to Myconos and a plane ride back when we were in Athens. We got our hotel when we got off the ferry. I think you will fine arranging things from Athens, but it takes some time out of your day so if you want you can get your tickets ahead. Have a great vacation.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much, yipper and bootman. i think if it came down to it, i'd swim to naxos! i've read/heard such wonderful things.

bon voyage,
sue