Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are Europeans More Unfriendly than 10 Years Ago? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-europeans-more-unfriendly-than-10-years-ago-128618/)

Liza Jun 6th, 2001 09:24 PM

Are Europeans More Unfriendly than 10 Years Ago?

I've always looked forward to my first trip to Europe, and plan on visiting the British Isles, Italy, Germany, Vienna, France and the Greek Isles in the not too distant future, God willing. I keep reading newspaper articles about how European countries are so unhappy with U.S. policies now - is that attitude reflected by the man on the street in the countries you've visited there recently?

Jan Jun 7th, 2001 12:19 AM

On our recent trip to Europe we talked to many Europeans in cafes etc and every single one we spoke to on this subject was strongly against the stand of Bush II's policies. All the Europeans we spoke to said that everyone they knew felt that way too and most of these people were 40 to 70 years old plus. They said people they know and their countries papers spoke a lot about fears of this so called missile "defense" program and also the whole global warming issue. Many told us people in their countries thought Bush II was "arrogant" and "only for the rich Americans" and that he and his people have a "damn the rest of the world" attitude.

Sally Jun 7th, 2001 04:53 AM

AMEN!

sylvia Jun 7th, 2001 06:39 AM

The star wars thing is resented in the UK. After all, how would you react if a European politician demanded to put a tracking station in one of your national parks and didn't give a toss about the people living in the area although the first thing any so called rogue nation would do is knock out tracking stations, and if he explained that it wasn't to protect you but him. <BR>That said, people are sophisticated enough to distinguish between American policies and individual Americans. <BR>It's what is always said here, if you are polite and friendly people will react accordingly.

Cheryl Z. Jun 7th, 2001 08:31 AM

<BR>Good Morning - <BR>Liza, we've been going to Europe (various countries) for about l5 years now (and are leaving for Rome/Sicily in a few days), and I don't feel that they are any more or less "unfriendly". And I'm not sure that is quite the word to use maybe. I find most people friendly, but more reserved. As a previous poster mentioned, if we are polite and friendly we will generally be treated the same, no matter where we are. However, it is my opinion that most Europeans, no matter what country they are from, are often far more educated and interested in our politics than many of us are. We've always found it interesting to be chatting with a taxi driver for example, and to discover the extent of his knowledge of our affairs (let alone being able to converse in multiple languages!). I believe it may possibly stem from the fact that Europe is actually very small and each country has had to have a relationship (good or bad) with their neighbors in some way, and have always had to try to understand what was going on "next door" because it would affect them sooner or later. Now, of course the whole world seems smaller because of our technical advances, and it's easier to understand why what's happening so "far" away really does affect us. They definetly have an informed opinion of what goes on over here as I believe they understand that our policies affect the entire world. <BR>I think you can take your trip safely, happily and comfortably, with the knowledge you're sure to have some stimulating conversations (which surely makes for an even more memorable trip.) <BR>Bon Voyage -

Emily Jun 7th, 2001 08:43 AM

Liza: I'm American and live in the UK and haven't had any real problems except in Paris. I've been to Denmark, Germany, Austria, Ireland, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Italy, Spain, and Portugal since living here and the people were lovely everywhere with the exception of Paris. Unfortunately, I've been there several times because of business and have NEVER had a pleasant experience. The people are unbelievable rude. I've never met a nice Parisian!!! That's not true for the whole of France though. I've Nice, Antibes, Cannes, Calais, Normandy, and Lille are all of the people are absolutely lovely. I don't know what it is about Paris. I dread going there whenever I have a business trip there. . .

Emily Jun 7th, 2001 08:46 AM

Liza: One more thing - about the English though. A previous poster mentioned the reference to Star Wars. I always get the "Jerry Springer" and "WWF Wrestling" references. I swear those shows must come on 5 times a day on BBC1 and BBC2. I don't understand the fascination. Quite often people will hear my accent and say "You're American? Have you ever been on Jerry Springer?" Very odd indeed. . .

mark Jun 7th, 2001 09:08 AM

Living here in NYC we are constantly inudated with tourists, Americans, Europeans, Asians - and sometimes it drives me mad. I'm not the "welcome wagon lady" - I live and work here. I imagine the same can be said of Paris and Rome and other major cities around the world. Can you imagine having to always deal with - putting on your best face as waiters have to - practically every day of the year? And no - it doesn't matter that your spending money. Let's face it - there are times when none of us - Americans or Europeans or Asians - want to deal with tourists, first-timers or well-seasoned. If you don't live there permamently you are a tourist - you are visiting. And thinking that you're dressing like a local is a folly. <BR>Having just gotten back from Hungary - an acquaintence commented about Bush II - I joked that I didn't vote for him (I'm not commenting on his compentency or lack - so please let's not go there) and that he's not representative of all Americans. I feel that America has become more a group of individuals than a country with a single identity, such as Italy, France or Hungary - which touches upon nationalism. Part of me very much enjoys being an American yet I don't feel that strong American identity that seemed so prelevant back in the 50's (maybe I'm romanticizing or being nostalgic - which we Americans tend to do) <BR>As long as I have been polite and courteous I have received polite and courteous service. I've hit a few "pot holes" during my travels but since when is the rest of the world beyond America suppose to be some safe haven. Violence, meaness and hatered exist everywhere. I try my best not to antagonize without compromising myself.

Capo Jun 7th, 2001 10:14 AM

Even if Europeans are unhappy with U.S. <I>policies</I>, I've never felt that unhappiness directed at me as an individual U.S. citizen.

Mel Jun 7th, 2001 11:17 AM

I've NEVER felt that being an American had any affect on the way I was treated. Politeness, smiles, fairness and a willingness to embrace the culture you're in should be universal. I've only had a few discussions with people abroad about politics. When I'm asked how I feel about our president or policies, I give an honest answer, then ask about theirs. Interesting to learn how many in the UK are quick to say that the monarchy is outdated, for example. As we know, discussing politics is touchy (along with religion) even among ourselves, so if you enter into a discussion--here OR abroad--you should never be surprised if people disagree. I'm always happy for an opportunity to discuss our way of life OR theirs. But as for being held responsible for our politics in "the way I'm treated," I can't even imagine such a thing. If someone's been rude to me, I must say, thinking that it was because of US politics never even entered my mind--I just figured I've run into a rude person! Can happen in any country, anywhere.

xxx Jun 7th, 2001 11:19 AM

Sounds like there are nothing but idiots in Europe.

George Jun 7th, 2001 11:29 AM

Lord, please don't let Europeans think most of us would watch Jerry Springer, much less APPEAR ON THE SHOW! Good grief, I hope that's not a universal belief about Americans over there!

Tony Hughes Jun 7th, 2001 11:45 AM

What total drivel. <BR> <BR>Your average European doesnt spend too long thinking about missile defence or whatever - you're not that important. <BR> <BR>Emily, WWF and Jerry Springer has NEVER been shown on the BBC in Britain, you'll find those shows on independent television (ie ITV and Channel 4). Auntie Beeb wouldnt have it. <BR> <BR>Liza, change newspapers.

Sheila Jun 7th, 2001 11:50 AM

And I would like you all to be assured that the warm friendly response from my co-Scot, Tony, is absolutley typical of the welcome you will receive here in Granny's Hielan' Hame:-)

Alan Jun 7th, 2001 01:35 PM

In the last two years, we have spent two weeks each in (1)Paris/Provence - (2)UK and (3) Prague/Budapest/Vienna/ and Salzburg. I have to say that we were very pleased with the friendliness of people everywhere. We had no issues at all. I think they, like everyone, respond to a smile. We were expecting rudeness in Paris but by saying a few words in French (namely that we don't speak French), we were treated nicely.

Liza Jun 7th, 2001 01:51 PM

Someone above pointed out that my title for this thread might not be the best, and they're right. Don't know what I was thinking - should have read "less friendly" rather than "more unfriendly." Sorry! And thanks to everyone for their replies so far - I am reassured!

Capo Jun 7th, 2001 03:12 PM

The mention of Salzburg reminded me of one incident I'd forgotten about where unhappiness with a U.S. policy (or more specifically, action) <I>was</I> directed at me personally. <BR> <BR>My girlfriend & I stayed at a B&B in Salzburg in 1987. <BR> <BR>Former U.N. Secretary-General Kurt Waldheim had made his second run for the Austrian presidency on the People's party ticket in the spring of 1986. During his campaign it was revealed that he had served as a lieuetnant in the German army in the years 1943-44. In his own account of this time he declared that he left the service in 1942 after being wounded on the Soviet front. Allegations were made that he had been stationed in the Balkans when Greek Jews were rounded up for transport to Germany's death camps and when atrocities were committed against Yugoslav resistance fighters. The accusations harmed his reputation around the world, and the United States placed him on a watch list of undesirable aliens. <BR> <BR>Anyway, the lady that ran the B&B, when she saw our American passports, started shaking her finger at us and raising her voice. I couldn't make out much of what she said but I did hear the name "Waldheim" so she was obviously chewing us out for the actions taken by the U.S. government.

Jason Jun 7th, 2001 11:06 PM

I always made it a point to let every French person I spoke to while there know that I didn't vote for Bush. I also told anyone at the hostels I was in who mentioned politics or the US government the same thing. People told me they were baffled totally by this past USA election and how the man who got almost 600,000 votes less was now in the White House. I certainly couldn't explain it to their satisfaction as it certainly doesn't seem like democracy to me. They would ask how this was democracy and I was speechless.

xxxx Jun 8th, 2001 01:46 AM

How pitiful these 'I didn't vote for Bush etc.' comments are. I didn't vote for Thatcher but I've never made a point of <BR>'apologising' for her when I've travelled abroad. Take your business & your money elsewhere.

anon Jun 8th, 2001 02:04 AM

To xxxx: it's not pitiful and there's nothing wrong with wanting to distance oneself from Bush. By default all Americans are associated with him and there's nothing wrong with telling people if you don't agree with him and his policies. Who cares what you did or didn't do in terms on Thatcher.