Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are European airports now confiscating passengers' water on the jetway?

Jun 17th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

I'm curious if this is a new international flight guideline. A couple weeks ago we returned from our 1st trip to South America. When leaving Lima for our flight back to the US there were officials on the jetway searching carryons for liquids. All of us who had bought water in the airport shops after clearing security had our water confiscated. We've flown a lot internationally, primarily European trips, since the 3oz. limitation was issued and have never had this happen. Is it just South American countries that interpret the rule this way or have European and other countries also now moved in this direction? The last international flight we took prior to this one was from Rome in Jan. 08. This didn't happen then. Thanks. As I said, I'm curious.
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:43 AM

I have flown a tonne in the last 3 months, from London to Berlin, Dublin, Channel Islands, France and this has not happened to me at all. Once through security I have been able to buy water or liquids of any kind and take them on the plane.

Hope this helps!
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:45 AM

julies, what is this obsession with shoehorning your South American trip into the Europe forum?
Jun 17th, 2008, 04:46 AM

It happens in Singapore. The way I avoid it there is to got to the 7-11 (airside) and they will seal a bottle in a plastic bag. There is no problem taking it on then. There is always stacks of bottles at the gate - your carryon luggage is screened at the gate.
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:05 AM

This same thing happened to us when boarding our flight from JNB to IAD on SAA; everyone who had bought water after security had it confiscated at the jetway. Flying from IAD to JNB we were allowed to carry on fluids bought after security.
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:06 AM

It was probably a mistake.
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:15 AM

Three weeks ago security personnel in Greece advised us not to buy any liquids after clearing security b/c they would not be allowed onboard.
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

padraig--

I'm curious because most of our international flying is done through European airports and want to know if this is also happening there so I can anticipate. Sorry I've offended YOUR guidelines and YOUR sense of what is appropriate for this forum.
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:39 AM

I didn't have any problems taking water bottles on board my BA flights leaving from Heathrow for the U.S. 2 weeks ago. Ditto for taking them onboard the flight from Philly back to London on Saturday. (Water bought in the airport shops after security, of course.)
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:40 AM

The rules change in line with the threat levels, so sometimes they might ramp up the security.
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:46 AM

It often depends on whether you are screened before entering airside or at the actual gate.
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:48 AM

julies wrote: "Sorry I've offended YOUR guidelines and YOUR sense of what is appropriate for this forum."

They are not my guidelines; they are Fodor's guidelines. A forum is provided for Latin America; another is provided for Airlines. Either seems more appropriate.

You take the Leona Helmsley approach: guidelines are only for little people.
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Have a look at the BA website for the rules concerning liquids/duty free bought after security: http://tinyurl.com/5akduu
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM
JP

Last year we were screened twice before flying back from Shannon, and the second time was just before the jetway. We were able to fill our empty bottles in the restroom that was on the far side of the gate.
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM
yk

Earlier this year, our bottled water was confiscated at the Hong Kong airport. This was at the gate just before boarding the plane (when they scanned our boarding pass). We were flying Cathay Pacific to the US. Not sure if they do it for every flight out of HKG or for US-bound flights only.

No issues with flying out of LHR last month or flying out of MAD in Feb.
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:46 AM

If security screening is done at the gate, as at Schiphol, you cannot take water. Unless it's sealed when you buy it, and not opened before you board. I've seen them take away duty free bottles, when the package had been opened.
In many airports, screening is done when you enter the departure area.

I think the way they do it in Amsterdam, screening just before you get on your flight, is much more secure, but requires more equipment and manpower, so not all airports do it this way.
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM

Excellent point, Tulip!! At several airports it's done at the gate, which means liquids bought at the airport can't come in. I've going through that at (as I recall) Nuremberg and maybe even Vienna airport. Sometimes duty-free purchases are ok if they're in sealed bags delivered by airport personnel to pax at the gate. But I haven't seen that for a while.

You can hope they've got water/soda vending machines in the gate area, but otherwise, no liquids.
Jun 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Sometimes duty-free purchases are ok if they're in sealed bags delivered by airport personnel to pax at the gate. But I haven't seen that for a while.

At AMS, you bring your sealed duty free liquids through gate security yourself.
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM

The question was about Europe and not South America, with Lima being used as an example. I see nothing wrong with the question but I do see a lot presumptive with the assertion that it is an inappropriate question. If Fodors does not like it, then it is Fodors problem to remove it.

I do not see it as a role for some superior than thou, caustic, semi neurotic individual to squawk about it.

I thought it was a good question. So for those of you who don't like it, don't read it.

Jun 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM

brookwood wrote: "I do not see it as a role for some superior than thou, caustic, semi neurotic individual to squawk about it."

And I do not see it as appropriate to deal with disagreement by being personally abusive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO