Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are Double Beds larger in Europe than in the USA?

Mar 14th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

The title pretty much says it all. Does anyone know? In case this makes a difference based on country, I'm referring to Italy.

Thanks so much!
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:33 PM

I don't know about Italian double beds, but the several double beds I've seen elsewhere in Europe were all rather smaller than American double beds.

The only way to know is to ask the owner for a measurement in centimeters.
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:45 PM

We stayed recently in Italy, and a double bed was a double bed.

In Germany and Austria, we have had a double as two singles put together, which pretty much makes a U.S. King. Only difference is there is a gap in between the two.
Mar 15th, 2005, 12:27 AM

In the UK (and I think in Europe) I believe that a standard double is 4' 6" x 6' 3" - don't know what that is in metres, I was born before metric! How big is a US double?
Mar 15th, 2005, 05:08 AM
rex

<<I was born before metric!>>

You were born before 1791? Wow. Call Guinness!

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 15th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Sorry, I know I feel ancient sometimes but what I should have said was born and educated before metric was the measurement of choice in the UK! We were taught to add up pounds and ounces, feet and inches and pounds, shillings and pence
Mar 15th, 2005, 05:58 AM

In the US:

Twin - 39" wide
Full (also known as double, but most people call it Full) - 54"
Queen - 60"
King - 76-78" (Twin x 2)

Europe:

Single - 35"
Double - 55"
King - 60"
Super King (or two Singles) - 70"-71"

So, the answer to the original question is that a European "Double" is slighly wider than a US "Full/Double". But two European singles put together is not as wide as two US twins put together, or a US King.
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

So the easy answer is, it's a whopping 1" larger. Who'd notice?? It's just interesting that someone would go out of their way to point out that a double bed is larger in Europe.

I wonder if it differs by country? Could that be possible?
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Yes, it is very possible that the word "double" varies from country to country. Austria and GErmany, and some Italy, as noted above... a "double room" often means two singles pushed together. It is very confusing...for one sometimes fears getting a "little double" bed, when they could have had two singles. I wish there was a difinitive answer for all of Europe. I guess it is best to ask the hotel and then that often leads to misundestanding also >)
Mar 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM

The REAL French Grand Lit is 140x190 centimeters. That is approx. 5 feet by 6.25 feet. The larger, queen sized beds are 200 centimeters long, or 6.5 feet long.
Mar 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM

mari5, the size of beds do cause to confusion.

A friend of mine about 7 years ago called me from Italy. He is a manager of a hotel in Italy. He was getting confused because TA and potential customers from the US were calling to make reservations at his hotel but they too asked about bed sizes.

I went to the Sleep Train Store and got the measurements of all of the mattresses that we have here in the USA and emailed him that info. He then converted that to the metric system.

BTW, at the hotel he is manager of the room I get has a king size bed but it is what we call a CA king size, much bigger then the typical king size. I know because I had a CA king size bed at one time.

And at least in Italy it is typical to have a hotel room with two twin size beds pushed together.

Happy dreams everyone!

Mar 17th, 2005, 02:17 PM

I think a double means a double in most cases--except we were offered a room with a "French" size double in Italy and after asking lots of questions it turned out to be 4" more narrow than a double. It is best to ask for a twin room & if they are pushed togther it becomes a king. One place in Italy described it as a matrimonial bed and it was a California king. A double bed for two adults means that each person has the same amount of space widthwise as an infant in a crib. Two things I always inquire about are bed size and if there will be noise depending on where you are staying.
Mar 17th, 2005, 02:40 PM

..in the old days a lit matrimonial was just a double bed as opposed to 2 twins side by side. I think the difference between requesting a double in the US vs Europe is that in the us a dble is often a king where a dbl bed in Europe is often just a standard double bed..now is everyone confused??
Mar 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM
sandi

A California King is not bigger than the Standard King. A California King is narrower by 4", but it is longer by 4"... great for tall people.

Mar 17th, 2005, 02:49 PM

To complicate things even more,I am finding that in both Germany and Switzerland a double bed often is two twins in one single frame.

May not be a problem for a couple, but for singles traveling together or families wanting a twin room, it can be!

Take a look: http://www.romanticroad.com/burghotel/english/rooms.htm
Mar 17th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Not sure about USA bed sizes. But in europe you can get something called a Super King size which is just the same as a King size in Autralia.

Their King size is like an Australian Queen size and their Queen size is like an Australian Double size. There is no Australian equivalent to their double size.

Wouldn't surprise me if Australia used the same sizes as US. We do for other things such as shoes...
Mar 17th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Everything from coke bottles to cars, properties and buildings are smaller in Europe.
Mar 17th, 2005, 07:09 PM

<<The REAL French Grand Lit is 140x190 centimeters. That is approx. 5 feet by 6.25 feet. The larger, queen sized beds are 200 centimeters long, or 6.5 feet long.>>

140 cm is not 5 feet. It is about 55 inches as rkkwan said. Standard French double beds are virtually the same size as American double beds. All the double beds I've had in Europe seemed to be about the same size as an American double bed, but that's when they were called just a regular double bed. It's the term "queen" I've found to mean all kinds of things in Europe, including just a regular double bed. Twins pushed together seem to be pretty common in some places in Spain and Central Europe, also.
Mar 17th, 2005, 10:00 PM

I can only speak for France, but there is no way my tall and not skinny husband and I can sleep in a double bed, not in the U.S. and not in France. So we always seek rooms with 2 beds, which we can push together if they are not already arranged that way.
Mar 18th, 2005, 04:18 AM

>140 cm is not 5 feet.

140 cm is 4.67 feet. 30cm to 1 foot.