Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are day trips via public transportation from Milan to Stresa and/or Certosa di Pavia doable? a

Are day trips via public transportation from Milan to Stresa and/or Certosa di Pavia doable? a

Jul 10th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Howard

As part of our September trip to Italy, we'll be in Milan over a Friday-Monday period. Since business will take up part of the time (and have seen the Milan sights already), we would like to take a day trip or two. Are either of these trips doable as day trips via public transportion? Would appreciate any details and recommendations.

Jul 10th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Stan

Howard
Rail from Milano Centrale station to Stresa takes about an hour and runs frequently. Stresa on Lake Maggiore is interesting but I prefer Lake Como and suggest you consider taking the train (also from Milano Centrale) to the lakeside town of Varenna (approx 1 hour)and take the short ferry trip to Bellagio - one of the gems of Italy.

Jul 10th, 2001, 07:45 PM
Howard

Stan, thanks for the info about trains to Stresa. I totally agree with you about Bellagio. We spent some glorious days there (including a visit to Varenna) last fall.

Jul 11th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Howard

Can't anyone help with info on getting to Certosa di Pavia from Milan....please?

Jul 13th, 2001, 10:58 AM
stan

Howard, have never been to Certosa di Pavia although my guide describes it as"one of the most dazzling monasteries in Europe". I believe the monastery is pretty close to the City of Pavia which I know is reachable by train from Milano Centrale. Journey to Pavia takes only 25/30 minutes and trains are frequent as this is on the main line that carries on to Genoa.
Hope this is some help.

Jul 13th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Howard

Stan, thanks again. It looks like both Stresa and Pavia are doable for day trips.