Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are buildings in Rome & Venice overheated in the winter? In other words, what clothes to bring?

Are buildings in Rome & Venice overheated in the winter? In other words, what clothes to bring?

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi--

I'm packing for a trip in a couple days; we'll have 5 nights in Venice and 8 in Rome. We've visited Paris several times in the winter, and I found the buildings there to be very overheated. So much so that I needed to wear crew neck sweaters with a scarf I could take off rather than a turtleneck.

Will it be this way in Rome & Venice? I am already trying to figure how how to juggle clothes for the possibility that it may be 60F/15C degrees some days in Rome (this would be a real heat wave for someone from the northern US where the snow is about a foot deep) and around freezing in Venice. What has your experience been? Thanks.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:38 PM

In Rome, I noticed many of the buildings were overheated, but some restaurants were not. I have been in Venice in Winter and do not remember the buildings being heated at all. Have fun.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:53 PM

We love to visit the many churches in Italy, and I remember this past March being frigid inside them. My coat stayed on inside the churches.

Museums, that's a different thing altogether. Definitely heated.

Rule of thumb: layer, layer, layer.

Scarves work great, easy on/off, stick in a purse or pocket. I wouldn't take a turtleneck.

Happy travels!
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Yes! Churches, freezing. Museums, hot and humid. Stores, varies. I should have explained.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM

That might not be happening this year.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/45b7fa00-a...nclick_check=1

I would bring layers. Just in case.

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Layering & Limoncello are a girl's best friend.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Ok. So maybe one lightweight cashmere turtleneck and everything else with lower cut necklines. Does this sound about right? I'm trying to pack lightly.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM

In some of those hot buildings I would feel trapped in a turtleneck.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Hi julies, I personally don't find tutlenecks that comfortable especially if they fit right around the neck.

I was going to suggest cashmere sweaters. They are lightweight and easy to pack. And at least for me if it is warm I am still comfortable in them but when it is cold I feel comfortable. Layering is the way to dress. I would pack as you have for Paris.

And many good wishes that you two have a beautiful time in Rome and Venice!
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM

I couldn't bring-up copain's link
but in the past almost all of my Rome visits were in Feb/Mar.

I'd be down to my pocket T-shirt and the museum staff would be in coats or sweaters huddled around radiators, heating vents or plug-in electic heaters.

Actually I'm suprised 'Italian Museums' didn't make it into "The Inconvenient Truth" .

In fairness I do like the cold weather but these museums had to be ~80F.
Regards, Walter
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Paradiselost--

You gave me a good laugh! 80 degree museums--that is exactly what I was worried about. And, it is precisely what I remember from Paris. So, I also appareciate seaurchin's comment about feeling trapped in a turtleneck in some of those buildings.

As usual part of my problem is that I am sitting here at home where we I pretty much wear turtlenecks all winter. We keep our house at 68 max during the day, and to venture outside involves putting on lots of clothes and boots. But, here most stores and museums are trying to conserve energy and adjust their temperatures downward to accomodate their customers who are all bundled up.

Thanks for all the comments. I am now frantically digging through my clothes seeing what is best. One of the benefits of living in a climate with wide temperature extremes is that I have a wardrobe for every conceivable season and temperature.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I hate turtlenecks! To me a "sweater-set" is ideal, with a scarf and jacket/coat.

i.e., layers you can add to or take off as needed thruout the day.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 03:20 AM

Are you taking a really warm coat ? I was the coldest I've ever been in Venice one Christmas.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Caroline--

Yes, I've got a puffy, warm silk coat for Venice & also an unlined shell trenchcoat (it has room for layers under it) that nicely compresses in a suitcase. This is my coat for Rome in case we have some nicer weather. I've also got the silk longjohns, umbrella, hat, gloves, and gore-tex lined shoes. Better safe than sorry, or in this case damp and freezing.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 04:50 AM

Good morning julies

It seems as though you're all set! You're prepared for whatever comes your way.

I wore my puffy coat all thru Italy last March (mine is long, to the calves), and the silk longjohns were an added layer of warmth on a number of especially chilly days.

So, when do you leave?