Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are B&B Deposits Usually This Hard? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-b-and-b-deposits-usually-this-hard-850140/)

tom18 Jul 17th, 2010 06:36 PM

Are B&B Deposits Usually This Hard?

I recently made a reservation at a B&B that is well-advertised and gets high ratings on various Internet rating sites. I was given the option of paying my deposit in one of three ways: (1) By Traveler’s Checks in euros; (2) By international money order in euros for a French bank; or (3) by IBAN transfer. I had difficulty in finding any local financial institution that could do the first two, and was told that an IBAN transfer would cost 40 USD. I finally had to drive 45 miles away to find someplace that would give me Traveler’s Checks in euros. Do European B&Bs commonly require deposits in the above forms, or do they make it easier to pay the deposit?

justshootme Jul 17th, 2010 06:41 PM

I once had a hotel ask me to wire full payment to them when I made the reservation. They sent me bank information together with the confirmation. I refued to wire funds. They still accepted and honored the reservation. Turned out to be a great to place too. I though that was strange, your senario is worse.

Can't answer your question unfornately. However, this would be a good discussion on the lounge.

cebtobe Jul 17th, 2010 07:03 PM

I had a similar experience in France... I had to track down traveler's checks in Euros for 2 separate B&Bs. I tried to do a bank transfer, but wasn't able to. It was a definitely a pain (and stressful, as I was worried that they would give our rooms away before the checks were received). In the end, everything worked out and we had a great experience at both B&Bs.

Hopefully the inconvenience will be worth it for you as well.

pja1 Jul 17th, 2010 07:48 PM

Hi,

After 8 trips to Germany, Austria and the Italian Dolomites (6 in the last 9 years) and Switzerland once, I've never been asked for a deposit for a B&B reservation. Personally, for this much trouble, I'd look for other, similar places to stay.

Paul

Melnq8 Jul 17th, 2010 08:42 PM

Last year I booked an apartment in Switzerland for which the owner required a security deposit in British pounds to hold the booking, and then full payment 14 days prior to arrival. The security deposit was to be returned via bank transfer within 14 days after our stay.

Upon discovering my Australian bank charged for both incoming and outgoing international transfers, I just tranferred the whole amount up front and the owner agreed to take the security deposit in cash upon arrival and return it upon departure (which never happened - I guess she took one look at us and figured we weren't much of a risk).

It was a pain, especially considering we're paid in US dollars (expats) so we'd already converted US dollars to OZ dollars, just to convert some to pound sterling. But, the exchange rate was good at the time and the apartment was a deal in the off season, so what the heck. It was a really nice place too, and well worth the effort.

The owner also offered an option through Paypal, which charged a 4.5% service fee, but that wasn't something I was willing to consider.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable sending traveler's checks through the mail, but that's just me.

Russ Jul 17th, 2010 08:44 PM

Only very rarely do B&B's in Germany require deposits. That's generally because the Germans, who comprise the vast, vast majority of the B&B clientele, tend to show up and pay after booking.
Also, German innkeeping laws stipulate that a reservation is a legal obligation to pay whether you show or not. International tourists tend to be less reliable than Germans, so any B&B that caters heavily to foreigners is somewhat more likely to have had bad experiences with them and to ask for $ up front.

Having booked dozens and dozens of B&B rooms without placing a deposit, I don't think I'd ever choose an inn that required one.

Flame123 Jul 18th, 2010 12:49 AM

I have never paid a deposit anywhere, whether hotel, B&B, or other. I purposely look for those places which do not request a deposit (there are very very many of those - more than enough from which to choose a nice place) so I have never had this problem. I usually don't like to pay a deposit up front, both for the reasons the OP has mentioned and also because I may have to cancel plans and then I would be out the deposit.

ribeirasacra Jul 18th, 2010 01:26 AM

I find it normal to pay a deposit. If you do not pay one then you may find your room taken by someone who has paid. Hotels also take deposits or at least a CC number in case you do not show up. So there is no difference it is just that CC charges are high and some smaller establishments are unwilling to cover these costs.
If your bank does not do IBAN transfers it is a problem between you and the bank, not the B&B.

Why did you have to pay into a French bank for when the B&B is in Germany?

KayF Jul 18th, 2010 01:37 AM

I had similar difficulties trying to pay a deposit on a cottage in Florida, advertised through VRBO. We were in the UK and didn't have access to the payment methods the owners (in the US) wanted and after a lot of frustrating emails back and forth, we had two separate cottage bookings fall through. In the end I booked a great hotel but I was quite annoyed at such a waste of time, researching for just what we wanted then having it go nowhere. W have travelled extensively in Europe and America and usually a deposit is required, or at the very least a credit card for guarantee.

Kay

adrienne Jul 18th, 2010 04:58 AM

If you're in the US, AAA sells travelers' checks in Euros. They offer small starter packs.

bigtyke Jul 18th, 2010 08:26 AM

years ago i sent money orders from my bank (Bank of America). When I got the first one, the bank branch didn't know what to do. They finally figured it out and I sent it. They didn't charge me anything. The next time they realized that there was about a $20 charge for the service. Pretty irritating since the deposit wasn't much over that amount.

To make matters worse, the B&B didn't cash the M.O. because they were going to get charged a fee from their bank. They gave me the M.O. back and I paid them cash.

Flame123 Jul 18th, 2010 11:16 PM

If the B&B or hotel where you wish to stay does NOT have a pre-payment deposit policy, then there should be no problem of :

"If you do not pay one then you may find your room taken by someone who has paid".

Personally, I have NEVER had such a problem, but it all comes down to your own preferences and experiences in the past.

Good luck.