Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are ALL Americans like the beloved Uncle Sam? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-all-americans-like-the-beloved-uncle-sam-236775/)

Jimbo Jul 4th, 2002 09:18 AM

Are ALL Americans like the beloved Uncle Sam?

Just curious... (not bi-curious though, US!)...

Moron Jul 4th, 2002 09:20 AM

Yes, moron all are exactly like him. <BR><BR>Kiss my butt while you're at eat you dumb fringin idiot.

Sue Jul 4th, 2002 09:21 AM

Jimbo<BR><BR>You are rather stupid in asking such a question. Having a slow day, are we?

Uncle Sam Jul 4th, 2002 09:22 AM

Jimbo,<BR><BR>Are all foriegners as quick to call people names and be so intolerant in their responses as you?<BR><BR>US

JImbo Jul 4th, 2002 09:26 AM

Sure is a slow day. Made slower by comments designed to upset other people. Pity you all show such intolerance to minorities. Have a nice day y'all.

CWilliam Jul 4th, 2002 09:43 AM

No, not all of us Americans are as great as Uncle Sam.

GWB Jul 4th, 2002 09:46 AM

You betcha... KMA and DIE Jimbo...

Capo Jul 4th, 2002 09:53 AM

One of the great things about the U.S. is that our Constitution and Bill of Rights provides protection for free speech and this protection creates an environment where people can not only hold, but express, a variety of viewpoints. <BR><BR>Although there are viewpoints I don't care for -- and even vehemently dislike -- I'm glad people are free to express them and, IMO, the interplay of all these viewpoints creates and nurtures a rich, vibrant, creative society. <BR><BR>(Note: this is about free speech in general, not the Fodors board, per se. Fodors is, of course, free to edit, or "censor" whatever they want.) <BR><BR><BR>Contrast this with the a blunt, and important, new report by Arab intellectuals commissioned by the United Nations -- the "Arab Human Development Report 2002", released in Cairo just a few days ago -- that warns that Arab societies are being cripped by a lack of political freedom, the repression of women and an isolation from the world of ideas that stifles creativity.

Gee Jul 4th, 2002 09:55 AM

<BR>Am I alone in thinking that Jimbo was being playful/sarcastic on this 4th of July?<BR><BR>I can't believe the venom and seriousness of the subsequent posters. You don't have to be SO defensive. Lighten up a little, Americans. It's your Big Day and Uncle Sam is alive, kicking, and as world-dominating as ever. You're the most powerful nation in the world, as you keep reminding the rest of us, so don't sweat it!<BR><BR>I just love Americans.

Jimbo Jul 4th, 2002 09:56 AM

Hey Gee<BR><BR>Thanks for being the one!<BR><BR>Jimbo

oscar Jul 4th, 2002 11:13 AM

I agree with Gee also. I think Jimbo was being a bit tounge and cheek. US has been preaching to gays on the Eastern Europe vs Rio post. <BR><BR>Have to wonder though if US and Rex aren't the same person - I suppose he could literally go f*ck himself then (even though he already is) <BR><BR>Psuedo Uncle Sam will - like the dinosaur - be extinct. He represents an outdated way of thinking - living - being. He lost his job - blah blah blah. Those who can't adapt die.

Why why why Jul 4th, 2002 11:22 AM

I'm hardly an Uncle Sam fan, but I can't believe this thread is being allowed to continue while the relatively innocuous one on "is there July 4th in Europe" got pulled -- and who is working on the 4th in NYC?

JustWondering Jul 4th, 2002 12:40 PM

Well,gee,how many men on these threads are Uncles???<BR>There must be a few Sams,no?<BR>So there must be a few Uncle Sams here. I have to say though, I have never heard of any other Jimbos.<BR>Dumbos.Bimbos.But no Jimbos.What were your parents names,Jimbo????

Uncle Sam Jul 4th, 2002 01:37 PM

Oscar said,<BR><BR>"Psuedo Uncle Sam will - like the dinosaur - be extinct. He represents an outdated way of thinking - living - being. He lost his job - blah blah blah. Those who can't adapt die. "<BR><BR>Oscar,<BR><BR>Merely because someone chooses not to chnage his way of thinking does not mean that they are wrong!<BR><BR>Honesty, virtue, integrity, faithfulness, patriotism, staying true to your beliefs, faith in God...these are all virtues that do not go out of style or succumb to the flavor of the day philosophy of this generation.<BR><BR>They remain in effect because they are time honored and represent truth.<BR><BR>As my mother used to say if ten people or if 10,000 people jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge that does not make it right!<BR><BR>Even if you are the only one standing for right, at least stand!<BR><BR>US

Capo Jul 4th, 2002 02:08 PM

When I saw Oscar's reference to Uncle Sam preaching to gays on the Eastern Europe vs Rio post, I had to go check out what he was saying.<BR><BR>Uncle Sam, on that thread you wrote the following: "And while I do not dislike or fear Kevin, I do not agree that his homosexuality is normal. It is in fact abnormal and no amount of parading, or LAMBDA lobbying, etc will get me or most folks to change their minds."<BR><BR>And on this thread you wrote: "As my mother used to say if ten people or if 10,000 people jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge that does not make it right!"<BR><BR>Your mother was exactly right. Just because you or ten people or 10,000 people or 100,000 people think there is something inherently wrong with same-sex relationships, that doesn't make your view right. <BR><BR>I see you love to use the word that most, if not all, people who have a "thing" (phobia, or whatever) about homosexuality love to use: abnormal. <BR><BR>Is homosexuality abnormal? Of course it is. But all abnormal means is something that is not the norm. People who have red hair are abnormal, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. In the U.S. people who are Lithuanian are abnormal (whereas, in Lithuania, Americans are abnormal) but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. People who are left-handed are abnormal but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them (although there *has* been prejudice against left-handed people throughout history. Consider the pejorative words "sinister" and "gauche" -- Latin & French for "left" -- vs. the favorable words "dexter[ous], and "[a]droite" -- Latin & French for "right".)<BR><BR>People who have cerebral palsy are abnormal. People who are paralyzed are abnormal. People who are dwarves are abnormal. People who are filthy rich are abnormal. And so on. <BR><BR>So homosexuality is abnormal. So what? What's it to you? <BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR> <BR>

Uncle Sam Jul 4th, 2002 02:16 PM

Capo,<BR><BR>Interesting analysis, I've never heard anyone compare homosexuality to being left handed.<BR><BR>And you know what Capo, it's nothing to me. So let's give it a rest and if you want to accept homosexuality, go for it!<BR><BR>US

kenneth Jul 4th, 2002 02:16 PM

Capo<BR><BR>Why don't you take a walk down to Pike's market, smoke another joint and watch the fireworks over the water.

Capo Jul 4th, 2002 02:32 PM

Uncle Sam, like I said, a lot of things are abnormal, in that they are not the norm. That's all there is to it. The fact that something is abnormal doesn't make it wrong; that's the crucial point here. <BR><BR>What I accept is simple: the fact that an adult should be able to love someone of the same sex just as they should be able to love someone of a different race. There was a time in the U.S. when people felt that interracial relationships were wrong and, unfortunately, I'm sure some people still feel that way (in fact, Bob Jones University either bans, or discourages interracial dating.) <BR><BR>Anyway, you should listen to what your mother said. She sounds like a very wise woman. <BR><BR>