Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are airfares US to Europe higher this winter than in the past? And what's with the fuel surcharge?

Search

Are airfares US to Europe higher this winter than in the past? And what's with the fuel surcharge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching fares for a while because we are thinking of a winter getaway to Europe. I've been watching a number of different destinations because we have a variety of places we'd be interested in visiting.

Prices seem higher than in the past to start with, and then sometimes there are fuel surcharges. For example, I just found a base fare of $448 MSP to Rome. On top of that here is a $85 fuel surcharge. Then there are the taxes which bring the total to $711. This is for dead of winter travel, and it is the best I can find for Rome. Other places seem to have similar pricing structures. What have you noticed?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:08 AM

You don't say from where you're flying, but you could consider flying into London and taking a cheap inter Europe airline elsewhere. EasyJet flies from Gatwick to Rome.

I would check flight from the US on kayak.com and mobissimo and maybe sidestep.

whichbudget.com will give you info on the cheaper inter Europe airlines.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM

You are absolutely correct that airfares to Europe are higher this Winter than last. I started checking fares in August to take my daughter to Milan over Thanksgiving break. I picked Thanksgiving because in the past it has been a slow time for European travel (mostly it's domestic travel at that time). The best fare I was able to get from Boston to Milan was $350, which is a good fare, but fuel surcharges and taxes added a whopping $200 for a total of $550. The flights both ways were completely full, (I took NW via AMS) which surprised me.
I think the reasons they are higher is partly because: fuel prices are higher, demand seems to be up, and there seem to be fewer flights now to Europe than there were several years ago.
You might want to check with a consolidator to see if you can beat the high airfares the airlines are offering. Up and away is good and reputable.
good luck!

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>...and there seem to be fewer flights now to Europe than there were several years ago.</i>

On the contrary, there are more seats across the Atlantic than ever before. However, your previous statement about demand being up is an understatement. Way up.

In addition to fuel surcharges (which are hit and miss by the way) what you're now seeing is airlines making up for lost income from the post-9/11 airline industry crash.

We're just now seeing the beginnings of &quot;low cost carrier&quot; entry into the north Atlantic routes - Aer Lingus being the notable pioneer at the moment, but the writing is already on the wall. IMO the legacy/flag carriers that now dominate the routes are going to face stiff price competition in the coming years, once the easyJets or Southwests of the world get over-water rated aircraft and landing &quot;slots&quot; at key airports.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

It's interesting to hear that fares from Boston are also higher. I'm in Minneapolis and we always assume that those of you on the east coast get much better deals than we can here in Minneapolis where Northwest has a stranglehold on the market.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM

I too was surprised by the fares this winter. As someone who flys from the eastcoast (EWR), I had gotten used to seeing fares around the $300 area (at least thru 3/31). This year prices are definately higher. I was looking to do a long weekend trip to just about any European city and most fares were above $500! I finally was able to book EWR-CDG on CO for $404 (320 + taxes) for March 24 weekend.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Here's a slight contrary opinion for someone who lives in NYC.

I just flew to Paris for the long weekend. While I can't recall how much I spent exactly (over $400), it didn't seem to me to be too unreasonable. In fact, after I bought the ticket, AA sent me a 10% off code, so I could have bought my ticket for even cheaper had I waited another week or two. What really surprised me was that on my flight out, a woman had the entire middle section to herself (so she slept with her legs all stretched out).

I was actually surprised by how low the demand was. After I came back, I noticed that AA ran an E-savers for CDG for this weekend or the next. I think that demand can't be that strong.

Maybe it's a matter of whether sales are on, or whatever. Prices for February are much higher than when I last looked a few weeks ago.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:35 AM

The best fares from the east coast are usually from New York. (more competition?)
Here in Boston we have lost nonstops to Europe, there is no n/s BOS/Dublin anymore, BOS/Rome is seasonal only.
Lufthansa used to have two flights to Frankfurt year round, now just one in the winter.BOS/Munich is seasonal only.
We lost BOS/BRU when Sabena went under.
There is no more BOS/Gatwick nonstop.
It seems that more and more is seasonal service for peak times....
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM

There're no non-stops from Boston? Sounds ridiculous. Where do you have to stop to fly to London, for example?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM

No question fares are higher for this winter and summer. I have been checking since at least October for tickets to Italy this summer. Almost always over $1000, unless you want to camp out overnight or for hours in a random airport. (Which I may end up doing...)
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Saw the Air France airfare sale thread and checked that out. Even on sale it's around $700 for Paris and about $750 for Rome (flying out of Minenapolis) for Feb. or March travel.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Weird, Julie. I got $527 all in from SFO. Flew last Jan. to Marseille on Air France for $520, so for me the pricing is very similar. Unfortuantely I can't take advantage of it.

But if you're serious about getting away, ITA software was showing these same flights on Delta operated by AF for a bit cheaper last night.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Boston has lost nonstops to Europe, as the poster states. AA used to have nonstop to Paris. It seems to be seasonal if at all. You can still fly nonstop to Boston on Virgin, I know that, probably others.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:59 PM

yes, the boston/Paris on AA is just May-Oct. tho AF does have two daily flights.
There are lots of flights Boston/London, all into Heathrow.
Slim pickings for the rest of Europe, tho.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM

I was also looking for cheap airfaire to rome from San Francisco in may, and i was getting $1000 as the cheapest. I just purchased directly from Air Canada and the price was $620 final price. I was amazed. So maybe try Air Canada website. Good Luck
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM

It's gotten even more ridiculous over the past few months! I'm searching flights to Europe and this is the lowest quote from Raleigh/Durham to London:

Base Price: 510.00
Taxes &amp; Fees: 303.61

Is there any light at the end of this tunnel?
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:24 AM

Do you really think $800 is a LOT to pay for a plane trip to Europe (depening on time of year)...for this summer that price would probably be a bargain for many.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM

Keep checking... prices can still go down. There will eventually be a winter sale and how low the prices go will depend on how many unsold seats there are of course.
I booked in February ...Boston to Rome at Thanksgiving for $450 each.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM

cindyldoe - About $160 or so is real taxes and fees levied by the US and UK authorities.

The rest is a so-called &quot;fuel surcharge&quot; which is basically part of the fare, and it's a way for individual airline to advertise a lower price. Many European and Asian airlines have been doing it for around 2 years. Most US airlines don't, but some do.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I went to Ireland last month on a ticket for $ 700.00 USD I guess I expected Italy to be more, I just don't remember the taxes and surcharges being so high. I'm sure they weren't. Is anyone aware of sites that watch fares for you? My dates are flexible for next year. What about travel agents? Do people still see the value in using them for good fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -